snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
3/1/12 1:02 p.m.

When my nieces Grade 4 class teacher asked me if i could do a gears project for the class, I said sure. however, I now have the task of not only finding a (cheap) manual transmission, but rebuilding it too. no biggie. the only problem came when the teacher said: "and make sure it's light. you have to lift it into the portable!) i need some help choosing which transmission to buy. here are my criteria: relatively light, and under $120. any suggestions? at least the kids can row through the gears themselves. Long Live The Manual!!!!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 1:07 p.m.

T-5. It's an aluminum case, they made a bazillion of them, parts are cheap, etc.

That said an old Ford Toploader would be cool as you could pop off the lid and show the gears moving.

benzbaron
benzbaron Dork
3/1/12 1:13 p.m.

Motorcycle transmission, I just bought a used one for my bike 115$ shipped. I wouldn't want to lug around a car transmission, but my bikes transmission would fit in a shoe box.

snap_understeer
3/1/12 1:22 p.m.

what cars would the toploader come in?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
3/1/12 1:26 p.m.

A Nissan rwd should be a lighter option.

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
3/1/12 1:30 p.m.

DO they have any idea what they are getting into??

They probably had something like this in mind:

snap_understeer
3/1/12 1:31 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo: They are a gifted grade 4 Class, so I assume so. My niece certainly does.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/1/12 1:50 p.m.
Taiden wrote: DO they have any idea what they are getting into?? They probably had something like this in mind:

I would think 4th graders are at this level or a little more. A full transmission though?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce New Reader
3/1/12 2:37 p.m.

If it were me, I'd look into a motorcycle transmission too. Then I'd cut a LOT of holes in the case, enough so you could really see everything move. Then I'd try to figure out how to attach some sort of crank mechanism to the input side so the kids could crank it. Then you attach some sort of..... something.... to the output that spins. You get one kid cranking, one kid shifting, all of them watching the gears go round and round and the input vs. output speed changing. This could be kind of an awesome thing.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
3/1/12 2:39 p.m.

Geo Metro tranny.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/1/12 2:44 p.m.

isnt there some game with gears and arrows and a peg board? i remember playing something or trying to figure rotation of the final gear?

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
3/1/12 2:48 p.m.

I wonder if you could find the thread cutting gearbox off a small lathe to borrow

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
3/1/12 3:33 p.m.

1200 Datsun.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
3/1/12 3:43 p.m.

Riding lawn mower transmission with trans separate from rear axle. Very light and easy to take apart & put back together.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
3/1/12 5:50 p.m.

I've got a '77 Mustang II 4-speed I'll sell you for real cheap ...But it's in Wisconsin.

corytate
corytate Dork
3/1/12 5:57 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Geo Metro tranny.

QUOTED.FOR.TRUTH.
those things weigh like 15 lbs. seriously.
engine and tranny combined are only like 40lbs

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
3/1/12 5:57 p.m.

Isn't Miata the answer to everything? The transmission is pretty light and I'm sure you can grab one on the cheap.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/1/12 6:21 p.m.

The alfa spider trans can be halved to show the inside and you can run it through the gears at the same time (slowly so things don't pop out of the case.)

The center section houses the gears and shafts. It splits diagonally from top to bottom so you can lie one side down on the table to show the internals.

Not sure about $ however.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
3/1/12 6:28 p.m.

Fiat 850 spider trans is like 50 lbs, if that...

snap_understeer
3/2/12 8:58 a.m.
corytate wrote:
QUOTED.FOR.TRUTH. those things weigh like 15 lbs. seriously. engine and tranny combined are only like 40lbs

Sounds like a good idea. I might as well just pick up an auto 2 door hatch, with a bad auto, pick up a manual and a manual ecu, exhibit the manual, re-build it, and swap it for the auto. presto, I have my new DD. Berkeleying great idea, guys!

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
3/2/12 9:58 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote:
corytate wrote:
QUOTED.FOR.TRUTH. those things weigh like 15 lbs. seriously. engine and tranny combined are only like 40lbs
Sounds like a good idea. I might as well just pick up an auto 2 door hatch, with a bad auto, pick up a manual and a manual ecu, exhibit the manual, re-build it, and swap it for the auto. presto, I have my new DD. Berkeleying great idea, guys!

Only someone on GRM would consider this a novel idea. Hear hear!

snap_understeer
3/2/12 9:59 a.m.
Taiden wrote:
snap_understeer wrote:
corytate wrote:
Only someone on GRM would consider this a novel idea. Hear hear!

Or better yet, a 91 convertible.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone New Reader
3/2/12 10:34 a.m.

Hard to beat the Geo Metro and motorcycle suggestions, but I know Honda manual transmissions mated to D-series engines are a dime a dozen at my local junkyard. These units are pretty compact and fairly light, and the insides are pretty cool lookin'.

snap_understeer
3/2/12 11:13 a.m.

In reply to Double_Wishbone: you're right, but i'm thinking the geo manual because i want to get a convertible, and add the manifolds from the JDM cultus turbo. attach one T25, and i'll be set for a fuel-efficient, yet fun DD.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dGrOArtMU98FMlj7xV5yPCmtK4x0hGmdRVKljsrq7fI5zXdeSPgS2JMwC3BLebKc