1 2 3 4
Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
4/23/18 2:08 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

Yeah, it is larger than the average clubman, and he built it for hillclimbs and autocross. If I remember correctly, he studied plans and designs, so he might have info to help build one at various scales.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
4/23/18 9:09 p.m.

I've driven the car and it doesn't seem large at all, and I've driven or had a goodly number of Locost so I can make a comparison. 

I've only gotten to autocross it once and at that time we were limited to 3rd gear only because of some sort of cooling issue that he finally tracked down.  But it handled well and, except for my ineptness, was great around the cones. 

That's the time I discovered that one of the "standard" cone markers I am accustomed to here in Texas is used exactly backwards to that in Florida.

J.D. is a good guy.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/24/18 7:49 a.m.
carguy123 said:

I've driven the car and it doesn't seem large at all, and I've driven or had a goodly number of Locost so I can make a comparison. 

I've only gotten to autocross it once and at that time we were limited to 3rd gear only because of some sort of cooling issue that he finally tracked down.  But it handled well and, except for my ineptness, was great around the cones. 

That's the time I discovered that one of the "standard" cone markers I am accustomed to here in Texas is used exactly backwards to that in Florida.

J.D. is a good guy.

As I said I really don't mean to criticize J.D. I've never met the guy, but he writes well. I remember reading about his MGB 'Lucretia MacEvil' back int he 'North American Pylon' days (anyone remember that? It was a monthly autocross newspaper). His Slotus is awesome, but when I said large I meant relative to 'real' Mallocks or Clubmans cars that I grew up watching. IT may be 'Locost 7' sized, but Clubmans cars are pretty small. I think that Eric is talking more about a 'Locost' or 'Slotus' style car with clubmans layout (per Slotus) with a '7' nose and style cues to be DMOD legal. I would prefer a 'B Mod' clubmans car closer to the original ethos.  Neither rout is wrong, but I see you needing to add a ton of weight (well, at least a few hundred lb’s) to get one up to the correct weight.  If I ever went to the time, trouble and expense of building a ‘race’ car it would break my heart to add weight too it.  I’d never have the inclination or skill to be Nationally competitive so it would just be a fun toy so I’d rather make it as simple and fast as possible rather than some theoretical PAX winner.

Here are some pics stolen from JD’s build thread that show how much larger SLOTUS is than a ‘regular’ Clubmans car.  Also don't forget SLOTUS is on I thikn 15" wheels rather than 13" wheels for regular clubmans cars.  Just to help with the perspective and scale.

Look at the size of the chassis and cockpit compared to these

See how the space is so tight that the carbs sticking out of the side of the head are over the drivers feet? 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BA4DEYB3aj9t0w9QSPJk4pyFrtQTuCzbuWEdr3SYCK0rO1utzvZi6QxB0Deeb6r6