ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/11/19 9:20 a.m.

One of the big names: Hot Rod, Car Craft (I feel like it was CC).

There was an article that my brother and I were fascinated by even as kids. I remember the title being something like "13 seconds over Palmdale" in which the magazine used, of all things, aquarium parts to boost the turbo of a 2.2 Mopar.

Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

I've tried several times but have given up after zero luck to find this article.

It meant a lot to my brother and I and I'd love to show him it if it's out there somewhere.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/11/19 9:22 a.m.

I don't know the article, but I definitely remember people using aquarium valves to turn up the boost on those motors.

Gasoline
Gasoline UltraDork
11/11/19 9:28 a.m.

March 1987 Car Craft.

13 SECONDS OVER PALMDALE SHELBY CHARGER

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/11/19 9:30 a.m.

I was hoping it's the one where C&D or Satch Carlson built a black Saab cruiser and hauled butt across the country at a high speed.  

They blacked out everything including dimming down the tail lights.  Had passengers that sat with binoculars looking for cops.  Thst article is stuck in my head.  

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/11/19 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Gasoline :

Uh... Whoa!

And I thought I was good at the internet! Thank you for that. I'm impressed! Can't wait to show my brother. And 17 year old me is psyched too!

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/19 1:54 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

One of the big names: Hot Rod, Car Craft (I feel like it was CC).

There was an article that my brother and I were fascinated by even as kids. I remember the title being something like "13 seconds over Palmdale" in which the magazine used, of all things, aquarium parts to boost the turbo of a 2.2 Mopar.

Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

I've tried several times but have given up after zero luck to find this article.

It meant a lot to my brother and I and I'd love to show him it if it's out there somewhere.

I remember it clearly.  They did some boost tricks and they also went as far as photographing the car leabing the line, then jacking up the front end to that ride height and setting camber to zero and toe to slightly negative so that it would be zero under load.

Definitely Car Craft.  I'd like to say sometime in 1986.

Knurled.
11/11/19 1:55 p.m.

D'oh!

Also, "muscle car classics: 1973 Pontiac" sounds normal to us in 2019, normal to 8 year old Knurled (well, 7 at time of printing), but imagine today talking about a 14 year old car as a "classic".

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
11/11/19 5:29 p.m.

Anyone know what happened to Palmdale drag strip , 

Pretty sure its gone , but wonder if they built anything there , 

There was no reason to close it for land value back then !

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf New Reader
11/11/19 6:19 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Anyone know what happened to Palmdale drag strip , 

Pretty sure its gone , but wonder if they built anything there , 

There was no reason to close it for land value back then !

The reason the say it is closed is interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_County_Raceway

Knurled.
11/11/19 6:23 p.m.

Trivia:  The title for that story ("13 Seconds over Palmdale") was the inspiration for the title of my favorite rallycross in-car video, 60 Seconds over Hebron.  Yes, I know it's all inspired by a WWII flick.  I knew about the CC article first.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth HalfDork
11/11/19 6:24 p.m.

I do remember that article...and used that info on my Buick GN when I finally got one to turn up the boost !

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
11/11/19 6:35 p.m.

I never heard of any of this but what an interesting thread! Nice going to Gasoline......you nailed it brother.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
11/11/19 6:38 p.m.

Fish tank valves as boost bleeds is some OG level boost tuning. Right next to putting a spring on your wastegate actuator rod.

basically a fixed orifice t fitting used to release air into a fish tank.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
11/11/19 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Gasoline :

8 minutes.....you're slipping.

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
11/11/19 7:50 p.m.

Where is the berkleying article...

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/11/19 9:40 p.m.

Where is the berkleying article...

Ok but can we just accept that the help we've already gotten is way beyond reasonable expectations?  yes 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
11/11/19 11:13 p.m.

The "G Valve" was much better for controlling boost, easy to build and set.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HI0rEyOPZ8lzHTAyLYP3t44rzdOwZDOqkTJedVbXcPTp2EhXV6HZseEBRpE7aJYq