1 2 3
RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/13/16 10:24 a.m.
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/13/16 10:34 a.m.

Wait until the mission E comes out, panamera turbos will drop into the low 30s, if not lower.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/13/16 11:05 a.m.

That's a lot of car for $35K. I flogged a V8 Panamera around track at the Porsche Experience Center for about 20 minutes and came away really impressed -- from behind the wheel it felt like I was driving my E36 M3, not a 4,000 lb luxury sedan.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
12/13/16 11:15 a.m.
nderwater wrote: That's a *lot* of car for $35K. I flogged a V8 Panamera around track at the Porsche Experience Center for about 20 minutes and came away really impressed -- from behind the wheel it felt like I was driving my E36 M3, not a 4,000 lb luxury sedan.

So for $40,000 I can have a sedan that drives like a $7,000 sedan?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/13/16 11:17 a.m.

" It isn't just ugly----- it's ugly compared to a genital wart" --- Jeremy Clarkson

One of my favorite Top Gear quotes!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
12/13/16 11:28 a.m.

In spite of all the Panamera hate, I LOVE these cars. One of only two Porsches that I could reasonably imagine owning. The other being the Cayenne, of course!

And I think they are quite attractive. It's like a long wheelbase 911.

JimS
JimS New Reader
12/13/16 11:34 a.m.

I love their looks. Had a v6 all-wheel drive loaner for 3 days and came away in love with the thing.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
12/13/16 11:34 a.m.

I really like the Panamera, but I'd be weary of one from a used car dealer, Carfax or not.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/16 12:02 p.m.

I don't like the way that they look, but I don't care about that either. I had one for four days and fell in love with it. The interior is functional and beautiful. My only hesitation would be the limited trunk space. It would be a challenge for a couple with more than one kid to go away for a weekend without some very judicious packing. Maybe in the summer but it would be tough for a ski trip.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/13/16 12:20 p.m.

I know there's the whole, "You don't see the outside when you drive it" moniker, but I just won't own a car that's ugly to me. The Panamara is ugly.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/13/16 12:21 p.m.
Woody wrote: I don't like the way that they look, but I don't care about that either. I had one for four days and fell in love with it. The interior is functional and beautiful. My only hesitation would be the limited trunk space. It would be a challenge for a couple with more than one kid to go away for a weekend without some very judicious packing. Maybe in the summer but it would be tough for a ski trip.

Since you don't seemed too concerned with looks, why not a roof cargo carrier?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
12/13/16 12:23 p.m.

You can't feel ugly in the dark.

Dont care what it looks like, id rock one if it was the answer to my needs.

Now to create the need....

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
12/13/16 12:36 p.m.

Is this 3.6 V-6 at 300 hp the same as the VR6 in most of the rest of the VW/Audi/Porsche lineup?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/16 12:42 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Quite possibly. The "V6" in the Cayenne is the VR6 that we all know and l... l...

It's the VR6.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
12/13/16 1:17 p.m.

So my wagon is basically a Porsche. I wonder if I can start going to those POC only track days in it....

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
12/13/16 1:31 p.m.

Ugliest car, EVER! And a total waste of space. Small inside and large outside. Still way too much money for all that ugly. And it is soooooo not a long wheelbase 911 in the way it drives/feels!

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
12/13/16 1:35 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: In spite of all the Panamera hate, I LOVE these cars. One of only two Porsches that I could reasonably imagine owning. The other being the Cayenne, of course! And I think they are quite attractive. It's like a long wheelbase 911.

If their goal was to take a 911, and make it ugly. I'll understand the defenses on here of how it drives, how you don't notice it has a wheelbase similar to a Tahoe, but nobody can defend how atrocious this thing looks. Subjective Fajective, ugly is ugly.

For those not conviced, can I recommend an SUV for you? you'll love it. The plastic on the sides will look new forever

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
12/13/16 2:21 p.m.

I'm surprised no one has freaked out yet over the possibility someone would spend $40K on any car...

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/13/16 2:25 p.m.

I actually have grown to like the way they look, especially the 2nd gen ones. But I even like the first gen S now.

And man, do they drive good and eat up the miles.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
12/13/16 2:50 p.m.
lnlogauge wrote: ...but nobody can defend how atrocious this thing looks.

For those who care at all about rear seat headroom, then look at the competing "four door coupes", it starts to make sense why they did what they did...Even if they didn't do as good of a job with it as they could.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
12/13/16 2:56 p.m.

I know the rest of the body kit is hideous, but this front bumper looks like a big improvement over a stock non-turbo bumper.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/13/16 2:58 p.m.

First cross-shop i thought of was a p85 Model S. I see those getting down around 40-45.

As an owner of a 3.4L 2900lb 911 that doesnt exactly take my breath away with speed, i don't think i would settle for a $35k Porsche that much heavier with only .2L more engine. I'd hold out for a v8 or turbo.

Having said all that, I don't hate the first gen Panamera. It's a neat car and i can be vicariously excited with anyone who likes them and is finally close to getting their hands on one.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
12/13/16 2:59 p.m.

I think it looks sexy, who doesn't want a porsche wagon?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/13/16 3:05 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge:

So off base it's not even funny! The Porsche has an awkward roof kink due to them making the back seat usable for grown people. Otherwise it's a good looking car. They've grown on me a lot over the years.

Then again, I've found myself trawling CL looking at Aztec ads, so ...

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
12/13/16 3:07 p.m.
Driven5 wrote:
lnlogauge wrote: ...but nobody can defend how atrocious this thing looks.
For those who care at all about rear seat headroom, then look at the competing "four door coupes", it starts to make sense why they did what they did...Even if they didn't do as good of a job with it as they could.

No, it doesn't.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RQZNqvQJCRTdqRNMHTnYOvrzMI0nz6vLrtCIr8SC5uqkSkQhjeIZOUz9AWNh7O3H