1 2 3
Driven5
Driven5 Dork
12/14/16 10:20 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: I have nothing to add other than that Google says these have a towing capacity of 4850 lbs

Unfortunately that seems to only be for the European models. My understanding is that Porsche NA was unwilling to sell or fit the Panamera with the tow package. Subsequently, I do not believe it is actually 'rated' for towing here.

Mister Fister
Mister Fister Reader
12/14/16 10:26 a.m.

Considering you can get a Cayenne for $10,000 now - keep waiting. They will drop substantially further.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/14/16 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Yeah, it does look pretty close, although there are subtle differences in the rake and tail lights. Like a lot of makes, they take certain styling cues and stretch/scale them for various models. Most lines seem to be variations on a central theme.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo MegaDork
12/14/16 10:52 a.m.

Quite literally THE Porsche I would want.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/14/16 11:08 a.m.

I'm suprised that none of you weirdos has mentioned that it's not brown enough.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/14/16 5:32 p.m.

Now that you mention it, all my favorite Porsches have been brown. It's not brown enough!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
12/14/16 6:19 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Now that you mention it, all my favorite Porsches have been brown. It's not brown enough!

Oh it gets pretty brown.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/14/16 8:59 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: I'm suprised that none of you weirdos has mentioned that it's not brown enough.

My neighbor has a brown Panamera. It's beautiful.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
12/14/16 9:16 p.m.
Mike wrote: The Turbo wing is something to behold. This needs to be standard across the line. The new one is even cooler.

I can see that disintegrating the first time it deploys with snow on the car and then tries to stow itself after ice and snow fall in.

This is the same company that managed to design a convertible top that was both elegantly simple in function (and fascinating to watch) and horribly, horribly breakage-prone.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/15/16 7:27 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Mike wrote: The Turbo wing is something to behold. This needs to be standard across the line. The new one is even cooler.

I can see that disintegrating the first time it deploys with snow on the car and then tries to stow itself after ice and snow fall in.

If you're driving at 60 mph with enough snow on the car to have that wing break when it deploys, you're doing it wrong to begin with. on ANY car you're supposed to wipe the snow off before driving. Jesus, what a dumb thing to complain about.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
12/15/16 7:51 a.m.
Chris_V wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Mike wrote: The Turbo wing is something to behold. This needs to be standard across the line. The new one is even cooler.

I can see that disintegrating the first time it deploys with snow on the car and then tries to stow itself after ice and snow fall in.

If you're driving at 60 mph with enough snow on the car to have that wing break when it deploys, you're doing it wrong to begin with. on ANY car you're supposed to wipe the snow off before driving. Jesus, what a dumb thing to complain about.

These porsche owners are going to be parking it in a garage anyways...

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
12/15/16 7:56 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote: These porsche owners are going to be parking it in a garage anyways...

You say that, but take a trip to CT someday... It's surprising how many 911s and such get driven in the snow.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/15/16 7:57 a.m.

In a related note, I'm patiently waiting for the bottom to fall out of the Ferrari FF market.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/15/16 8:05 a.m.
rslifkin wrote:
fidelity101 wrote: These porsche owners are going to be parking it in a garage anyways...

You say that, but take a trip to CT someday... It's surprising how many 911s and such get driven in the snow.

They still don't get driven with giant snow piles on them.

Wipe your E36 M3 off, people!

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
12/15/16 8:10 a.m.

Even if every owner wiped the car off completely before driving, you have ot consider other situations that could cause the same thing.

Driving through freezing rain could cause similar damage to that design, and there's really nothing an owner could do to prevent that. As an owner, you probably just trust that a company with the engineering chops of Porsche could get it right, and make that system robust enough to handle fairly common situations without failure.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/15/16 8:35 a.m.

By now if it was a problem it's be common knowledge. But it's simply not a problem in real world use.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UberDork
12/15/16 9:17 a.m.

I assume there is a button to leave the wing up. We would leave the headlights up on my wife's 90 Celica because they would get frozen shut.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
12/15/16 9:42 a.m.

Correct, there is a button that puts it up/down. I would also be shocked if there wasn't a sensor that detected something interfering with its operation, and prevented it from closing on that object. Like snow...Or a hand.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
12/15/16 10:30 a.m.

The Panamera is an amazing car from the point of view of performance, given the weight, but it is still not something I would own. I'm with the guys that vote to leave them for the (few) guys that find the styling attractive.

Porsches in that price range will get you older 911s (buyer beware) and Cayman S, which strike me as a lot more fun (although I opted to pay the money same for a BMW Z4M instead, but that's just me).

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
12/15/16 12:49 p.m.
wspohn wrote: Porsches in that price range will get you older 911s (buyer beware) and Cayman S, which strike me as a lot more fun.

Gee, a dedicated sports car more fun than a luxury sedan?

Two completely different markets.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
ZHKpW3aBUMSCtns3JnIvtj2B4lsCLgjEUQYdS7f3QeA7wyuJHmhZpVZc8QMf6bnw