1 2
Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/13/16 10:53 p.m.

Just went to look at this tonight and gave the verbal to buy this one. Going to pick it up this weekend. It was originally listed out of my price range, but a dramatic price drop put it within reach! Opinions? Does the hive approve? What do you all think I should do with it? Seller listed as this: "Price is firm Rust Free car. My father started this project about 3-4 years ago. He set out to build a v6 powered auto car. He started with 2 TR4 cars mostly complete. The boxes in the pictures are from both cars. The car has 4 solid fenders that have been blasted and primed. They do need some work. The body is rust free. Dad rebuilt the front end and brakes, going from memory and looking at the car. There are spare body parts. 5 Bumpers, 2 extra doors, 2 hoods. Car has the seats in it, but they need restored. All of the major parts are there."

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/13/16 11:22 p.m.

Nice!

pres589
pres589 UberDork
1/13/16 11:46 p.m.

Sounds like the start to a great project. Will watch to see what develops.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/14/16 5:47 a.m.

Score!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
1/14/16 6:37 a.m.

I think $4500 was way too high for that car. Good score for you. Are you keeping the V6 or going back to the original type engine?

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
1/14/16 7:22 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: I think $4500 was way too high for that car. Good score for you. Are you keeping the V6 or going back to the original type engine?

I'm not going back to the original four cylinder. Once that lump is extracted, I see no benefit to going backwards (I'm not a purist). I'm kinda turned off by the automatic tranny, so that may have to go. The engine is a 60 degree V6 from an S10 (probably a 2.8L). I think a 3.4 from a Camaro with the T-5 behind it would be more fun.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/14/16 7:25 a.m.

Is that a Ford 2.8 V6?

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
1/14/16 7:26 a.m.

I approve! Prices have gone up on these. Fairly ratty drivers have been around 8k and nice ones closer to 30k. It's not that easy to find rust free. Mine...

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
1/14/16 7:54 a.m.

I like camaro drive line idea. 4th gen fbodies with the 6 cyl can be had less than cheap.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/16 8:47 a.m.

Nice!

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
1/14/16 9:01 a.m.

Lots of potential if you are comfortable assembling Brit cars where the tin fit is more of a suggestion than a given. In my world, any Brit tub that does not need rust repair is worth at least 2k for the shell alone. People pay more than that for body panels to restore their cars and they still face the labour cost to get the panels welded in.

I hope it has the solid axle as the TR4-A independent was not the best design on the planet and would be even less so if you put any power to it. With a 48" rear track, there are not a lot of axles systems to swap in "As is". The MGB at 49" is close and can handle a fair bit of power if you don't abuse it.

The GM v6 looks a little lost in there. With the swap being well traveled, and since you are going to change both engine and gearbox anyways, I would suggest going the full ford 302 and T5 path. Money-wise it should be a wash, crowd appeal-wise the V8 is a good return on investment.

Need to move this to the build thread section and make sure you don't join the Jimmy Hoffa thread

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
1/14/16 9:03 a.m.

What about the new Mustang v6? It should be cheap enough by now and sounds way better to my ears than the GM 60 degree stuff. It is DOHC which might be a bitch to package. Alternatively, a Ford SOHC 4.0L v6 will make more power than the GM and likely sound better, IMO.

Ford SOHC 4.0L, looks fairly small to me.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
1/14/16 9:08 a.m.
IndyJoe wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: I think $4500 was way too high for that car. Good score for you. Are you keeping the V6 or going back to the original type engine?
I'm not going back to the original four cylinder. Once that lump is extracted, I see no benefit to going backwards (I'm not a purist). I'm kinda turned off by the automatic tranny, so that may have to go. The engine is a 60 degree V6 from an S10 (probably a 2.8L). I think a 3.4 from a Camaro with the T-5 behind it would be more fun.

The even-better 3800 was available with a T5 in the F-body and was still a fairly compact engine. I'd look at those first before either 3400 (X or Twin-Cam).

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
1/14/16 9:26 a.m.

That looks like abreast deal, good for you.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
1/14/16 10:41 a.m.

Good deal, personally I think the TR4/TR250 is the best looking of the whole TR series cars. These are quick on their way to following the big Healeys towards being big bucks cars.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
1/14/16 10:45 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: ...I hope it has the solid axle as the TR4-A independent was not the best design on the planet and would be even less so if you put any power to it. With a 48" rear track, there are not a lot of axles systems to swap in "As is". The MGB at 49" is close and can handle a fair bit of power if you don't abuse it.

Yes, it has the solid rear axle.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
1/14/16 10:53 a.m.

In reply to SEADave:

I agree, Very cool lines. My dad had one (that he bought new in '65) that he was driving when he met my mom. I'm super excited to build this thing. My budget won't allow me to do a concours quality build, I'm going for a "looks good at 20 feet away" look.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
1/14/16 11:02 a.m.

Looking at the pictures on the big screen, that is a very nice, solid car.

I now like the lines of the TR-4 as well. At one time 4's were the red-headed step child of the line and you could get them cheap. Not anymore.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
1/14/16 11:15 a.m.

What's not to Love about these lines: (The wider rubber REALLY completes the look for me)

I think those are stock TR6 wheels on this car.

(images from British V8 . org)

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
1/14/16 6:20 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: The GM v6 looks a little lost in there. With the swap being well traveled, and since you are going to change both engine and gearbox anyways, I would suggest going the full ford 302 and T5 path. Money-wise it should be a wash, crowd appeal-wise the V8 is a good return on investment. Need to move this to the build thread section and make sure you don't join the Jimmy Hoffa thread

Dreamt of a carbed 302 w/ T5 in a TR-4/ 6 for years. Proven old school power, makes all the right sounds. Kinda like it was made for that car.

Can't discount late model EFI V6's though w/ plenty of power for their weight. Soundwise, no tho.

Gimme old school V8, it just fits that car.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/14/16 6:47 p.m.
fasted58 wrote:
NOHOME wrote: The GM v6 looks a little lost in there. With the swap being well traveled, and since you are going to change both engine and gearbox anyways, I would suggest going the full ford 302 and T5 path. Money-wise it should be a wash, crowd appeal-wise the V8 is a good return on investment. Need to move this to the build thread section and make sure you don't join the Jimmy Hoffa thread
Dreamt of a carbed 302 w/ T5 in a TR-4/ 6 for years. Proven old school power, makes all the right sounds. Kinda like it was made for that car. Can't discount late model EFI V6's though w/ plenty of power for their weight. Soundwise, no tho. Gimme old school V8, it just fits that car.

+1 on that. I've always thought a TR4 with carbed roller cam 302 with aluminum heads and a world class T5 would be an awesome package.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Reader
1/14/16 7:46 p.m.
mblommel wrote:
fasted58 wrote:
Dreamt of a carbed 302 w/ T5 in a TR-4/ 6 for years. Proven old school power, makes all the right sounds. Kinda like it was made for that car. Can't discount late model EFI V6's though w/ plenty of power for their weight. Soundwise, no tho. Gimme old school V8, it just fits that car.
+1 on that. I've always thought a TR4 with carbed roller cam 302 with aluminum heads and a world class T5 would be an awesome package.

Isn't that the formula Carrol Shelby used? Cool British body and small block Ford V8? (later big block). A proven winner. Oh you guys are going to talk me into doing that aren't you.......

pres589
pres589 UberDork
1/14/16 7:54 p.m.

Ecotec/t5 from a late s10 maybe? Or a 302 with decent heads purely for the sound and the aftermarket support.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/14/16 7:59 p.m.

TR6 motor with a huffer, just because.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/16 10:20 p.m.

I would update it to newer specs.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hs8xgbOGOpq3R6TTU8AFusrMd2jSJEaCJJkSbXIwgfM0tyXMDqMl3sPcwzEyoq2z