LainfordExpress New Reader
Dec. 29, 2010 10:55 a.m.

1980 1st Gen. RX-7... what do I need to know.

I've been reading about checking the coolant for oil and the hatch channels for rust. Rust doesn't look like it'll be an issue though.

Anything else I should know?

Mazdax605 HalfDork
Dec. 29, 2010 11:28 a.m.

Suspension mounts in the rear wheel wells tend to rust out. Oil leaks on the engine between the housings. Smoke on start up? 79-80 are the best in my opinion by the way.

Chris

Javelin SuperDork
Dec. 29, 2010 11:31 a.m.

Make sure the engine is cold when you get there and watch for the amount of smoke on start-up and the length of time it takes to warm up. Look over the coolant system carefully. Check for rust in: rockers, rear wheelwells, under the battery, in the cowl, under the storage bins, and the rear suspension mounts. Look under the car to see if all the heat shielding is still in place and how fubared the frame rails are (they are very weak and if used as a jacking point usually buckle).

Enjoy! I still miss mine greatly.

pilotbraden Reader
Dec. 29, 2010 1:39 p.m.

Mine, a GSL SE, would smoke heavily on cold days when I had too much oil premixed. It still starts easily and pulls hard, with 245,000 miles on it. I recommend a touch of 2 stroke oil at every fill up.

aussiesmg SuperDork
Dec. 29, 2010 2:19 p.m.

www.rx7club.com

it's all covered there

corytate New Reader
Dec. 29, 2010 3:18 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: 79-80 are the best in my opinion by the way.

I'll second that
first gens are the only ones with solid rears, IIRC solid rear ftw!

lol.

pilotbraden Reader
Dec. 29, 2010 3:26 p.m.

I want to put the engine from an RX-8 in a clean (rustless) early RX-7

Moparman Reader
Dec. 29, 2010 3:59 p.m.

I have an 85 FB which is clean and was painted a few years ago and kept in may garage since that I could be tempted top part with.

Mazdax605 HalfDork
Dec. 29, 2010 4:06 p.m.
corytate wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote: 79-80 are the best in my opinion by the way.

I'll second that
first gens are the only ones with solid rears, IIRC solid rear ftw!

lol.

The 79-80's are also the only ones with the cool looking steel bumpers rather than the more socially accepted,but lame looking (In my opinion) urethane bumpers.

Dec. 29, 2010 9:09 p.m.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for aftermarket wheels on these? The bolt pattern is goofy... 4x100 maybe? 4x110? I dunno Tire rack is non helpful and I'm having difficulty figuring out how much offset I need.

Mazdax605 HalfDork
Dec. 29, 2010 9:58 p.m.

4X110mm pcd,and you are right they are an odd pattern. There are choices out there,but not nearly as good as if it were a 84-85 GSL-SE model which uses the much more common 4x114.3 pcd. There are some old school choices out there,but they are rare,and expensive,but very cool. I have a set of Weds Auto Bahn's in 15"x7",and I love them. You can also try to find a set of 83 Limited Edition RX-7 wheels that are a BBS basket weave pattern,and are a more friendly 14" size,and the proper offset. I have another set,but they are in need of refurbishing. I could be talked into selling them I suppose.

Dec. 30, 2010 6:00 a.m.

Yeah, I had found some weird brand that had fairly lightweight alloys with smaller sizes, 14", 15" x 6" or 7". It was something like 686 or 696 I think, but can't find them now. Oh well, maybe I bookmarked them at home.

I think I'd rather just pick up a second set of stock wheels to mount up for autocross. I'm planning on keeping it pretty stock anyway, and it'll be even harder to find something aftermarket in a stock size.

Toyman01 SuperDork
Dec. 30, 2010 6:37 a.m.

Konig and Rota still make 4X110 wheels for the FB. E-bay lists several of them. Unfortunately that is also a common ATV bolt pattern so you have to wade through the ATV wheels to find them.

Toyman01 SuperDork
Dec. 30, 2010 6:39 a.m.

Here's a link to a set.

As far as offset, +20 seems to be what fits.

Javelin SuperDork
Dec. 30, 2010 8:26 a.m.

Rota RB's are your only aftermarket choice in current production for the 4x110 RX-7 wheels. A lot of guys import over old school wheels from Japan or Australia.

I have a set of 14" Hayashi Street II's waiting for the right RX-7 owner though...

Moparman Reader
Dec. 30, 2010 8:28 a.m.

What about Konig Rewinds?

Dec. 30, 2010 12:29 p.m.

I have a '80 and it's the best IMO. My oil seals went between the rotor chamber and side housing. If there is any excessive smoke at startup, don't stress, it's rather common.

Has this car been sitting, or is it a running driver?

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
Dec. 30, 2010 1:26 p.m.

doesnt diamond make steel wheels that fit 1st gens?

Dec. 30, 2010 8:29 p.m.

Guy called tonight, call is sold. Fooey.

Moparman Reader
Dec. 30, 2010 8:47 p.m.

I have an 85 I would consider selling.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

8 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

8 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

16 hours ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

1 day ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

1 day ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

1 day ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

2 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

2 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

2 days ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

2 days ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

2 days ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

3 days ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
EoFBRosr9IE4PNQMm2B7npEnUAYiuZLC