1 2
CSmith
CSmith New Reader
1/2/20 3:45 p.m.

Hey, I'm looking for an anvil to use with my forge. I have a really crappy tiny one that has cracks and heats up really quickly. I'm just looking for a medium to small sized anvil that I can stick on a stump and use for my blacksmithing hobby. As I am only 17 and currently don't have a job my budget is low to none. Does anyone have one lying around that they don't really use?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/20 4:42 p.m.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/2/20 4:49 p.m.

We're interested in your forge. How easy/expensive is it too set up a basic forge?

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/2/20 4:54 p.m.

Go nuts...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/2/20 4:54 p.m.

In reply to CSmith :

Have you tried your LOCAL Craigslist/LetGo? You certainly don't want to pay for shipping.

Shadeux
1/2/20 4:58 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

70 lbs. via USPS for $19.99. Just saying...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/2/20 4:58 p.m.

If it's like my local Craigslist, they'll start around $600.

It would probably a lot easier to get a chunk of rail road track, depending on the size of what you're trying to beat into shape. 

Not expensive, not very difficult to setup and get going either, whether you use propane, coal, or charcoal. 

Shadeux
1/2/20 5:04 p.m.

But...but.. if he has a forge........ couldn't..... couldn't he..... make an anvil?!

einy
einy HalfDork
1/2/20 5:07 p.m.

Heck, you can sell enough plasma in one sitting to buy that $20 jobber.  Just sayin.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
1/2/20 5:16 p.m.

In reply to einy :

At 17yo, I don't think he can sell bodily fluids, yet. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/2/20 5:18 p.m.

Anvils are really hard to find, and prices are crazy these days.I'd recommend a home made one from some railroad track, or an     I-beam. Real anvils are near impossible to get under $250 or thereabouts. Good luck, Keep forging, and keep looking. Someday, the right deal will come along.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/20 5:52 p.m.

I searched for years before I found one local to me for less than $600. I still ended up paying $400 for a 106 pounder from the early 1800s. 

You can accomplish a fair amount with a piece of rail road iron. The trick is to fasten it to an extremely heavy base so you total weight ends up in the 100+ pound range. 

I'd also be interested in seeing your forge. Mine is a coal forge built using a rear brake disk with the e-brake drum and a 55 gal drum. 

Good luck in your search. I have heard that the Harbor Freight anvils make acceptable starter anvils and are pretty decent for the price. 

More info on the forge.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/2/20 5:53 p.m.

What wheelsmithy said.  You're not going to be able to find one for cheap anymore.  A chunk of railroad track or an I beam cut and shaped to suit (otherwise known as anvil shaped objects) will be your best bet.

Papabear
Papabear New Reader
1/2/20 6:17 p.m.

If you have a scrap yard near you go look around there. If your just starting out a anvil shaped object is a good starter. Your really looking for mass in a anvil. Sometimes you can find big round stock or other good shapes at the scrap yard and it's nice for scrap price.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/2/20 6:17 p.m.

I have a friend who collects anvils. I never new that was a thing but the prices on these things are more than I thought 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/20 6:21 p.m.

Anymore? There was a golden era when anvils were widely available? I must admit I'm not up on the anvil market.

I found one here in town for $125 and another couple in Denver for that range. Huh. Interesting.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/2/20 6:25 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

You could flip those profit. When talking about a "golden age" when anvils were affordable, that means below $250. Around here, you never see one below 5 bills. Tough world for a young blacksmith.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/2/20 6:28 p.m.

If you want I can check my local metal place for a bit hunk. Could probably Greyhound it. Was there today and saw a box with big cutoffs. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/2/20 6:47 p.m.
Shadeux said:

70 lbs. via USPS for $19.99. Just saying...

The anvil you posted says it's 15 lbs. 

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
1/2/20 7:04 p.m.

This one is 281 lbs

Toyman01
1/2/20 7:43 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Anymore? There was a golden era when anvils were widely available? I must admit I'm not up on the anvil market.

I found one here in town for $125 and another couple in Denver for that range. Huh. Interesting.

This guy is asking $1200. I would call this one junk due to the severe deck chipping. 

Another severely abused one and small at 60#. $250. 

This is mine. It's in fair shape at best and close to 200 years old. It was $400 and I thought it was a good deal. 

If you can buy decent ones for under $200, send them to me, I'll split the profit with you. 

mbmsg
mbmsg New Reader
1/2/20 7:50 p.m.

Great one more thing Ill be looking for as I drive past yard sales...... so any 100lbder, in good shape, 250 or less is a good deal?

Toyman01
1/2/20 7:59 p.m.

In reply to mbmsg :

If the deck edges aren't missing or beat to death and it's not cracked, yes. Down here, you can double your money pretty quickly. 

Tap it with a hammer. If it rings like a bell, buy it. If it sounds like you hit the side of a engine block, don't. 

A new 100# anvil is $800-$1000 and they are usually cast. The old ones are frequently forged. 

Jump to 200 pounds and you are get into the $1700+ range. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
1/2/20 8:03 p.m.
CSmith said:

Hey, I'm looking for an anvil to use with my forge. I have a really crappy tiny one that has cracks and heats up really quickly. I'm just looking for a medium to small sized anvil that I can stick on a stump and use for my blacksmithing hobby. As I am only 17 and currently don't have a job my budget is low to none. Does anyone have one lying around that they don't really use?

Hi , it would help if you put where you live ,  as others have said  they are not cheap anymore for a good size one , 

are there any farm auctions near you ?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/2/20 8:04 p.m.
Shadeux said:

But...but.. if he has a forge........ couldn't..... couldn't he..... make an anvil?!

Making an anvil is difficult due to the sheer quantity of metal needed- most people don't have a forge large enough to heat up that much metal, even if you do it in sections.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ybE9ShDegdC74VVUQuyeaGzf10LNFxrTKlbZ7TxPYA1TloTeA8nn0UqK7zqm02GG