1 2 3
Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
7/27/15 6:29 p.m.

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/cto/5123522240.html

Seems up my alley, looks like I'll need to give Carfax some cash to look at history of it.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
7/27/15 8:01 p.m.

Awesome, 2 door. I think manual is a must with these right? Phallic.. makes it less of a woman's car and sportier. Color the dark blue and dark grey are my favorite, but id take any color if its the better buy.

Mileage range 50-70k so I can trade it in at the 95k range. I've got 15k that seems to be well over what I'm looking for. So wouldn't mind taking the extra 4k and building a computer and cover maintenance.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/28/15 7:52 a.m.

That 5 cylinder is an odd combination of gutless and fuel guzzling.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
7/28/15 8:16 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: That 5 cylinder is an odd combination of gutless and fuel guzzling.

What other similar car would you recommend in the price range? The MPG on it is better than the 4cyl accord.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/28/15 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Coldsnap:

IMO, you won't be driving enough to feel the burn, so just buy the VW if it's the car you like and don't fret the mileage.

That said, the Accord is a full-size car and the Golf is a subcompact, so that's kind of apples to oranges. Every single one of the Golf's 2013 competitors offers better mileage...and they all offer MUCH better warranties. (VW CPO: 2 years 24k B2B, that's it. Ford & Mazda CPO: 1 year 12k B2B, 7 years 100k powertrain. Hyundai: 5 years 60k B2B, 10 years 100k powertrain).  photo compacts.png

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
7/28/15 8:41 a.m.

Gotcha. How come Mazda doesn't make a 3 coupe? I don't see anything in their offering that covers that space.

What does B2B mean in that case? Sorry I've never bought a car with a warrenty as all the cars I've owned are at least 10 years old.

SlickDizzy
7/28/15 8:46 a.m.

In reply to Coldsnap:

B2B = Bumper To Bumper (i.e. every single piece of the car)

The MX-5 is their sport coupe offering, and I doubt they have any reason to diversify further. The compact FWD coupe market likely isn't large enough to justify such a product; same reason there's no Focus coupe, no Cruze coupe, etc.

The fact that Chevy is going through the trouble of introducing a Cruze hatch to compete starting next year pretty much says it all.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
7/28/15 8:53 a.m.

Gotcha, yea VW leaves ya hanging. I swear on the phone the VW lady mentioned 100k powertrain coverage through the dealsership. I'm gonna call her back.

SlickDizzy
7/28/15 9:00 a.m.

If that's a thing, it's probably an aftermarket warranty provided by the dealership. I'd be driving a TDI Sportwagen wight now if VW offered a 100k powertrain warranty! But, they don't.

http://www.vw.com/certified-pre-owned/

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
7/28/15 9:02 a.m.

If you truly want gas mileage over performance, you would look at all the hybrid and diesel cars (Prius, Civic hybrid, Golf TDI, etc.) before even considering regular cars. It's a fairly odd requirement since you don't drive much to save in fuel costs, however. Also, keep in mind that there are some new technological innovations coming out that can make a regular car into a hybrid, so you can do this to a sports car, and theoretically have the best hybrid for you.

SlickDizzy
7/28/15 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

Pretty big difference if you're only buying 1-2 years old, though! 2014 Mazda bought today is warrantied through 2021. 2014 VW bought today is warrantied through 2017. Not necessarily a deal breaker but depending on your needs, worth considering...

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
7/28/15 9:18 a.m.

Interesting. Just called the dealership, if you buy a CPO VW from them you get the 2 year bumper to bumper and maint + 100k or 4 yr powertrain from day of my purchase (not transferable). Which is cool, will probably buy from them.

http://flowauto.com/WhyBuyPreOwned.aspx

Gah, I want the hell out of this but it's automatic. I actually don't know how to drive manual, but my friend is coming over later today with his manual golf and we gonna learn me.

http://flowauto.com/CarDetails.aspx?carID=366085&vehicle=Certified-2013-Volkswagen-Golf-2dr%20HB%20Auto%20PZEV-Greensboro

About value vs gas efficiency vs warenty. Gas efficiency you're right, not going to loose sleep over an extra 5mpg when I'm already getting near 30. Value is interesting, VW spartan design and interior and exterior, but still charging same price as other cars. I like the VW interior way better than the "fake" luxury of the Accord leather I drove. I've been over paying for simple spartan things my whole life, why stop now.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/28/15 10:39 a.m.

You seem very set on the coupe idea.
Are you aware of the Hyundai Elantra coupe?

It is being discontinued. I suspect low sales vs the sedan.
The coupe was only offered in '13 and '14
The Kia Forte coupe is pretty similar.

Elantra Coupe:

Kia Forte Coupe:

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
7/28/15 11:02 a.m.

Drove the elantra coup yesterday. I liked it better than the civic and accord, that's for damn sure. But I liked the Golf way more.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
7/28/15 1:46 p.m.

Damn, girlfriend one upped me on hot hatch and got a Honda Fit. Looks like our house is going to be hatchcity.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
7/28/15 6:40 p.m.

Wow.. learning to drive manual is hard. Spent about 45mins with a friend and got it into second gear.

God bless my friend, I stalled the car about 20 times and I'm not comfortable enough to gradually learn with his car. It's nice and I don't want to berkeley it up, stall in traffic and get hit.

I'm sort of thinking about picking up a $700 cragislist manual saturn or something E36 M3ty to learn. If i crash it into a tree on accident then whatever.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
7/28/15 9:01 p.m.

I wouldn't bother with a beater. Have your friend bring your new car home, within an afternoon you'll feel comfortable enough to venture into traffic and have full confidence in a week of daily driving. Then you can fine-tune your technique over time.

My roommate in college bought an Eclipse turbo, got a quick lesson from the seller in a parking lot, then drove it to our dorm in the middle of the night. All went well until he got home; he had to wake me up to parallel park it for him.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/28/15 9:04 p.m.

Mazda2!

Cheap! Great mileage. Fun to toss around stock, REALLY fun with suspension work. Dead nuts reliable. Bit slow in a straight line but they're light so its not as bad as you'd think.

Plenty available at Carmax for $9-12k, add Maxcare if you really want a complete warranty(honestly I think on the 2 it would likely go unused, or nowhere near pay for itself in the long run. IMO buy the warranty, then immediately cancel it so you get it paid back to you(I THINK you can get it in cash/check, but it may have changed to where it just goes toward the loan principal in which case it won't matter...) and put it in a savings account for just in case.

If you come up to VA Beach I'll help teach you manual transmission and if the weekend is right come to an autocross event.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Reader
7/28/15 9:21 p.m.

I'll come up to VA just to auto cross my crown victoria.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/28/15 9:33 p.m.

If you're serious then hit me up on Facebook(Tony Mester).

I'll probably do an event mid-August at ACU4(you must preregister ahead of time even just to watch since its on a Navy base) or at Pungo first week of September.

The 2 is a very fun car. I recently started straying and thinking I wanted something else, but I drove an R3 RX8 and was disappointed with it strangely enough. I've come to the conclusion I will pay it off then get a Miata for DD and turn the 2 into a SMF shenanigans-mobile with a 2.5 MZR from a 3 or 6.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
muFs7r7gKJyJmmTbM0Lld4ablr4ZbcExVUlBg8DZSrGdqzfObNUABLW1kYPquh16