Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Reader
4/14/11 11:55 a.m.

This car has caught my eye for some reason but there are some things about it I am not sure of so I have come to the Internet sages for advice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190521443474&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

The dash I think has me concerned the most.

Paul B

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
4/14/11 11:57 a.m.

"Why does it say Turbo when it has no turbo...?!?!"

Duke
Duke SuperDork
4/14/11 11:58 a.m.

For $2900 I think you can do a lot better than 170k miles, and get a real title to boot.

The digital dash display is just the odometer/trip mile thing, and that is endemic to E36s.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
4/14/11 11:58 a.m.

as far as the dash goes, the ignition is ON, but not started. The pixels going out is normal, check control is the on board computer, just notifying you that something is out like a light bulb. The Service Indicator can be reset with a special tool or some special sequence...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/14/11 12:00 p.m.

Dash looks like a problem with the module and not the back lighting, so I'd be concerned about this as well. I don't like the induction kit, either.

Oh, and have a look at the Autocheck report. I'l give that one a miss, it's not really cheap enough IMHO.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/14/11 12:02 p.m.

You mean problems like paying almost $3k for 15yr old, 176k salvage title 3 series that "needs a little TLC"?

That would be the only issue I think you need to address.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
4/14/11 12:10 p.m.

Apparently the car comes with a tranny... that could be a problem.

ebay pimp said: the tranny shifts smoothly
Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Reader
4/14/11 12:57 p.m.

Well it would seem I am shopping in the wrong area (price) as most BMWs in this area with the same age and mileage seem to be holding around this price (some more some less)

So where should I start shopping for a used BMW ? I am on the look out for most 3 series with a stick but I really want a 318 TI but they seem to come in two types beat to hell (free bullet holes included ) or very nice and costing about $3K over book.

Paul B

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/14/11 1:11 p.m.

Not a good sign to see the oil service and inspection lights on, that's a pretty good sign of deferred maintenance. IMHO, this is a $1-1.5K car, and that might be generous.

miatame
miatame Reader
4/14/11 2:22 p.m.
dj06482 wrote: Not a good sign to see the oil service and inspection lights on, that's a pretty good sign of deferred maintenance. IMHO, this is a $1-1.5K car, and that might be generous.

Or just someone without a Peak Oil reset tool or the desire to have oil changed at the dealer...

The interior looks great, clean car. Doesn't scare me but I'm sure it is going to be a project, as any older BMW is.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
4/14/11 3:48 p.m.
miatame wrote: The interior looks great, clean car. Doesn't scare me but I'm sure it is going to be a project, as any older BMW is.

The Rebuilt title scares me.

Donebrokeit, look in the suburban DC Craigslists and see what scares up. E36s should be common around there, and it's not a bad trip from down your way.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
4/14/11 4:17 p.m.

I emailed the guy about this one: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/2324396670.html

'98 328i supercharged M3 motor. 4 door 5 speed. $6k. I don't know if it's a good deal, but I think I'd like it better sans supercharger.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
4/14/11 5:01 p.m.

Fixing the dash display is a simple 5 minute job with a soldering iron reflowing the pins for the display. I just recently did mine when I put in some gauge rings, had a few pixels out.

As far as the lights, they can be reset with a paperclip, no excuse for them to be on.

But yeah its a modded E36, tail lights, intake, who knows what else. Some kid had it. Door panels don't appear to be peeling or falling apart, that's a huge +. As others have said its not cheap so no biggie to pass on it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
4/15/11 12:09 p.m.
SupraWes wrote: Fixing the dash display is a simple 5 minute job with a soldering iron reflowing the pins for the display. I just recently did mine when I put in some gauge rings, had a few pixels out.

How much work is it to pull the circuit board to get at it? My own E36 has the same problem and I've been putting off fixing it.

jonny330
jonny330 New Reader
4/15/11 12:35 p.m.

I have been looking for an e36 too, haven't found any that were worth what the owner was asking yet. I would pay $3-5k if it had service history and was a clean example. Seems to me it is getting harder to find a good example.

I am looking for something I can use at the track and is street legal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wcIj6kSND20ifN2ptoRfBxX4eLHgJYyKxJ2fbTi3Wtb9SSlFaCqmDDFSLSGjOfL8