1 2 3
czracer
czracer None
1/29/11 7:39 p.m.

Hey all, I'm looking to get into a Lexus. A little background: I'm a combat vet w/a constantly sore back, and the '92 Wrangler doesn't make a very comfy daily driver. I'm in school training as an automotive technician, and we work with Toyota. I've been largely impressed with the quality of their vehicles. I'm not a fan of the FWD platform, so I've been drawn to the Lexus RWD offerings. I would like a strong, reliable platform as a daily driver, that will put up with spirited driving. Just today a mechanic told me to go for the inline six. Can anybody give me a good rundown on these cars? Is there a "better" year, engine, trans, etc? Also, I'm more inclined to a timing chain over a belt, but let me know the real deal here. I would say my budget is probably 12k or less, so brand new is out, but I'm not opposed to getting an older model if they are better. Thanks so much!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/29/11 7:43 p.m.

The inline 6 is good advice. That's the fabled 2jz, albeit in n/a form. As such, it's completely unstressed doing pedestrian naturally aspirated duties and will likely run longer than the world will continue turning. (Ok, that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea.)

IS300, GS300, SC300.

The IS and SC, you can get them both in manual.

In my opinion, an SC300 5spd would be a great car for you.

czracer
czracer New Reader
1/29/11 8:16 p.m.

Good to know! Please keep the info coming!

kb58
kb58 Reader
1/29/11 9:10 p.m.

There's a recent thread on here about the IS300. We have one and other than the 20 mpg or so, it's an awesome car. Available in both auto and stick.

xfactoraeg
xfactoraeg New Reader
1/29/11 10:28 p.m.

It's a timing belt, not a chain.

Any of those (IS/SC/GS) can be had under 12k, even with a manual (IS/SC) Although manual SC300s can command almost as much as the "newer" IS300s. May or may not be the case in your area, though.

IS300 weak spot is the badly designed 6disc cd changer, 2001s were tuned leaner from the factory, 2002+ added a usable armrest, tuned a little richer, made full leather and NAV avail as an option, some cosmetic differences. VSC and memory seats were added in subesquent years. LSD avail as an option throughout the model range. Some even came in cloth seats and no moonroof (special order mostly) All had HIDs standard. Auto holds more power than manual when boosting. Yadda yadda more in the recent IS300 thread.

Why not a GS430 or maybe even and LS430? How much sporting pretension are we really going to have? Maybe a second vehicle for hooning?

czracer
czracer New Reader
1/29/11 10:32 p.m.
xfactoraeg wrote: Why not a GS430 or maybe even and LS430? How much sporting pretension are we really going to have? Maybe a second vehicle for hooning?

Thanks for the info. What is hooning? Not sure why not a GS430/LS430...you tell me!!! I'm coming from a hardcore 4wd and muscle car background. I'm looking to get into something comfy, powerful/fun to drive, and reliable as a daily driver.

xfactoraeg
xfactoraeg New Reader
1/29/11 10:57 p.m.

Hooning (hooligan+goon?) can be varying levels of ...spirited driving. Fun and harmless if a skilled person is doing it, just maybe above what Johnny Law would like to see. Fudging the speed limit... enthusiastically attacking curvy roads... that sort of thing.

LS430 is more of a grandpa mobile, very quiet, well built, 430 in the moniker is for the 4.3 liter v8. No slouch but no race car either. Their flagship model, the last generation. Models can be had for under 12k, generally low mileage, well maintained and in good condition due to the target demographic and MSRP. Can be quite handsome done up. Plenty of passenger and trunk space. No manual though.

GS430 seems like it would be a good fit for you reading your original post, except it is not a I6. 4.3 V8, bigger than the IS300 with more trunk and passenger space. GS series, even the GS300 will have more emphasis on comfort than the IS. Faster than the IS, similar mpg. No manual though. Ditto the condition/maintenance upkeep vs the IS which attracted a lotta younger guys with less than impressive mechanic skills and potential for more deferred maintenance. Have seen them under 12k but this time of year isn't great for used car shopping, prices go up with everyone getting their tax returns.

I don't know too much about the SC series, I've driven one or two, of course interior is going to be smaller with it being a coupe but I love the look of it and will own one someday. SC400 has the V8 out of the LS400 and like many other Toyota engines is pretty bulletproof. SC300 has the 2jz as mentioned previously.

Don't get me wrong, I love my IS300 (I wouldn't be on my 2nd one if I didn't) just like with any other car, you gotta drive it and see what fits you. All are going to be used with unknown history so be thorough like any other used car purchase, factor in part of your budget for getting it up to speed and make sure there are no nasty surprises. Happy shopping!

dj
dj Reader
1/30/11 5:41 a.m.

<--- Buy my car.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
1/30/11 8:33 a.m.

g35! skip the lexus

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/30/11 8:39 a.m.

We have a 99 LS400. Fantastic car. ~26MPG if you keep the speed to 75 or so and don't blow the doors off of "sports" cars. If you have a bad back, this car is more comfortable than my living room couch. And the stereo is better too.

czracer
czracer New Reader
1/30/11 10:37 a.m.
internetautomart wrote: g35! skip the lexus
dj wrote: <--- Buy my car.

Okay you two....why? Give me a good argument why the Infinity is better. DJ, what's the story with your car?

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/11 7:56 p.m.

97-03 Lexus is second only to 99-04 Honda as far as imports lining my pockets at the transmission shop. Massive failures, expensive parts, and very short lives. I have very little data on the new ones since they're still under warranty, but I've had several that were barely out of warranty needing $4000 repairs.

Just keep it in mind.

If you get an automatic, PLEASE make sure its a 4-speed and not 5 or 6.... unless you have a very large wallet and you live near my shop. The 4 speeds are U130, U240 and A340s. Not the greatest tranny, but cheap to fix and at least last 130k or more. The 5 speeds I've seen massively fail at 60k or less.

czracer
czracer New Reader
1/30/11 8:02 p.m.

Well, curtis...that is a big issue. I hadn't heard about the transmission failure problem....

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/30/11 8:27 p.m.

BMW? I prefer the interior and it seems to be sportier to me.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix New Reader
1/30/11 8:33 p.m.

Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure curtis73 is only talking about automatics. If so I second his opinion, I've seen clutches last longer than some of the Honda/Toyota auto transmissions.

czracer
czracer New Reader
1/30/11 10:05 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: BMW? I prefer the interior and it seems to be sportier to me.

Now that is interesting....I am shocked at how cheap the 3 series are! I never looked into the BMW because I assumed they would be much more. But aren't parts/maintenance insane w/BMW?

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
1/31/11 11:12 a.m.

Parts are surprisingly cheap if you can order online, and generally even dealer prices aren't bad for normal maintenance items (brakes, clutches etc). Some parts are crazy expensive: door seals and the like, but a thriving BMW second-hand part market keeps those reasonable as well. They're easy to work on (mechanically), and a riot to drive. I'm biased....so to be fair, I should mention that some of the electronics can be wonky: CEL's and Airbag lights aren't as rare as they should be, but it's pretty rare that the electronic gremlins force you to park the car.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
1/31/11 11:49 a.m.
czracer wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: BMW? I prefer the interior and it seems to be sportier to me.
Now that is interesting....I am shocked at how cheap the 3 series are! I never looked into the BMW because I assumed they would be much more. But aren't parts/maintenance insane w/BMW?

To be honest, I do not and have not owned a BMW, but I have heard two stories about them.

1. "They're not that bad if you do your own work and shop for discount parts." This tends to be from owners who do their own wrenching and consider time in the garage as part of their hobby.

2. "They handle nice but they sure are expensive to own." This comes from everyone else, including some GRM types, the unsuspecting non-gearhead, and especially any mechanic I talk to. Reliability data from places like Edmunds and autos.msn.com corroborate this assertion.

I think you're smart to shop Japanese RWDs, but I would look into the G35, as well as the other cars suggested here. The IS300 is a bit low on power in comparison (though I think it is more than adequate) at something like 225 (IIRC) compared to 260 for the 03 and 04 G's, and 298 for 05 and 06.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/31/11 12:00 p.m.

Get a BMW, afterall, that's what Toyota copied and tries to be.
Sorry, I have no respect for Lexus. The only company that copies with this low a level of shame is from China.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/31/11 12:04 p.m.

I always thought Lexus was trying to copy Mercedes more...

BMWs are at least halfway sporty, and a lot of them can be had with manuals.

With the exception of the SC and the IS, Lexuses (lexi?) are rolling couches.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox HalfDork
1/31/11 12:53 p.m.

In reply to ShadowSix:

My data point of one is my GS400 with 221K on the original transmission. I think that is really common for the RWD models. Is it just FWD models that have a lot of problems?

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/31/11 3:45 p.m.

12k or less will also put you into a Pontiac GTO.

6.0 liters of awesomeness. The same year Lexus IS350 gets better mpg by a gallon or two.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/31/11 4:39 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I always thought Lexus was trying to copy Mercedes more... BMWs are at least halfway sporty, and a lot of them can be had with manuals. With the exception of the SC and the IS, Lexuses (lexi?) are rolling couches.

Yeah, I was thinking about the IS300 (3 series wannabe). But you are right. If you want to know what a Lexus built 4 years from now looks like, go to a MB store.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox HalfDork
1/31/11 4:55 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

That was sort of true with the general shape of the exterior of the LS400 20 years ago. What else?

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
1/31/11 5:06 p.m.

In reply to Xceler8x:

How much body add-ons got that orange Holden to look like something more interesting than a 75 cent soap dish? GTO's are just, well, boring as hell to look at that I couldn't see spending the money on one. The one you highlighted actually looks like a sporty car even if it doesn't fix the frankly awkward side profile. How much for those wheels?

p.s. 5.7 with a manual was rated much better on fuel and should be cheaper to pick up as well since most guys want the extra cubes and that daft hood of the 6.0 models.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
em29tR2zvLgwsPR3gGfZAlOUJlmydYcbZCFjV6W0us89xJEDfR6pRZ6QhWdB1XtA