Whats this nipple near the oil filter?  Seems to be closed off down inside  

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/5/18 6:10 p.m.

What sensor is this?  It’s broken  

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/18 6:43 p.m.

1& 1a is coolant tubes, they are to help air get to the top of the system.  Some use them, some use less, some use none.  The hose runs through the throttle body then into the tank, radiator, etc.  the purpose of the throttle body coolant passage is to prevent throttle blade freezing and bypassing it is common.  My aftermarket throttle body doesn’t have those provisions and on the datsun to clear the water pump with my nitrous plate pushing the throttle body out, i cut that chunk off on the bandsaw.  

2 is a blank spot that is very convenient to drill/tap to 1/8npt for a conventional oil pressure gauge.  It’s a crossover tube otherwise between two ports on the pan

3 is coolant temp sensor.  

Patrick
9/5/18 6:47 p.m.

Previous page is i believe for the purge solenoid(mine is capped) and the big dude coming off the back is for the power brake booster

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/5/18 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Muchas gracias!

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/5/18 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Would it work to block all 4 coolant tubes, or would that inhibit flow?  Looks like the kits have a hose to bypass the throttle body but just block the 2 rear holes. 

Patrick
9/5/18 8:25 p.m.

Most of the newer engines block the rears and keep the fronts.  On datsun I have it teed into the upper radiator hose, on impala it goes to the pressure tank. I’ve seen guys drill a fitting into the water pump and tee it in there.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
9/6/18 12:21 p.m.

i kept all 4 open on my 4.8 in my z31 and teed them into the upper rad hose as well. The reason the newer engines only have the front 2 open is they found that with the engine angle the fronts are slightly higher so any trapped air would get to the front but i decided to keep all 4 open on mine because it aint going to hurt anything.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/6/18 4:49 p.m.

Keep the coolant crossovers.  They are a necessity.  Since there is no coolant crossover in the manifold it is the only way for steam/air to get out of the heads.  Without it, things get no bueno.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
9/7/18 8:33 a.m.

I did a homemade set up as i didnt want to pay too much for what are nothing more then small coolant lines, although i was able to get all my fitting for free, if i had to buy them im not sure it would have ben justifiable.

i got the adapters for the heads from ICT Billet then just made all my lines and fittings to run to a single line to the upper rad hose

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/7/18 7:45 p.m.

In reply to edizzle89 :

Thanks for those pics!

I got the baffle bolted in the pan. The 2 long rear bolts came out a lil too easy and it seems someone before me torqued em too hard and stripped the holes. I ordered a new rear cover from Jegs. $50 :(

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VXa8dwvB1g0w3zaoB5T9BX6D5goHmPKMiO6bhc4yCSJVYUU3CbL2X3fZNoSpK4RE