TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
1/12/17 8:17 p.m.

I'm trying to find very detailed dimensions for an LS engine. I would like measurements for every bolt hole in the heads and engine. Is there a book I can buy, or can someone hook me up with drawings?

Thanks in advance.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/17 9:17 p.m.

If you're a SEMA member, you can get a CAD model of the engine from GM.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
1/12/17 9:20 p.m.

I have a CAD model. IM me if you can't find what you need otherwise

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/17 12:18 a.m.

Dr boost I would be interested in getting a copy of that if possible.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
1/13/17 9:43 a.m.

Curious what format the file would be in? It is like a Solidworks assembly that you can take apart and play with the individual parts or just a drawing with exterior dimensions?

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
1/13/17 9:46 a.m.

I'll have to aee the file format. I gotnit so I could 3D print it.
I'll get back with you guys....

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/13/17 9:57 a.m.

wait wait wait

Are you saying you're 3D printing an LS engine?

Keith Tanner
1/13/17 10:03 a.m.

Perhaps you saw this around Christmas? 3D printed LS3.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/13/17 10:24 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Perhaps you saw this around Christmas? 3D printed LS3.

I had not!

So now I can get a model of a cylinder head, adapt the oil and coolant holes, figure out the head bolts, and bolt it on anything I wish, and go vintage land speed racing and set tons of records?

Keith Tanner
1/13/17 10:27 a.m.

Sure. The Mini guys bolt modern BMW motorcycle heads to their antique A-series engines, cross pollination is fun.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
1/13/17 10:37 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: wait wait wait Are you saying you're 3D printing an LS engine?

Not yet, but it's in the cards.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
1/13/17 10:50 a.m.
TheV8Kid wrote: I'm trying to find very detailed dimensions for an LS engine. I would like measurements for every bolt hole in the heads and engine. Is there a book I can buy, or can someone hook me up with drawings? Thanks in advance.

I'm sending files now. I'm afraid they'll be too large though, the block is 20 MB. They are .stl files, you should be able to open them up in CAD.
Here's the bummer. They are already scaled down. I'll send you a rocker are or camshaft file, something that you should be able to get a dimension very easy. That way you can scale the drawing up to match, then use that multiplier on the rest of the files to get an accurate dimension.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
1/13/17 10:51 a.m.

OH, this is Awesome. DrBoost can I get a copy of the LS File too? sending a PM your way

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
1/13/17 10:55 a.m.

Ok, on second thought. I'm afraid the internals may have been changed to allow for printing, so that might not help you. Let me know if those work for you and tell me a specific set of header holes and I'll go out to my 944 and measure those for you, that way you can figure out the scale.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
1/13/17 2:36 p.m.

Will do. Once I get home from work.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
1/14/17 9:06 a.m.

Got them! They work great. I will get the scale off of my Studebaker. Haven't had the chance to get measurements yet. I will report back when I do.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/17 9:42 a.m.
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
1/14/17 9:53 a.m.
Knurled wrote:

Beat me to it. There are some out there as little as 150$ that have the same sort of acuracy for making engine mounts and checking clearances.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/14/17 10:48 a.m.
Knurled wrote: How much would it cost to make this yourself?

at summit it costs $96.34* less than i paid for a whole running truck that i can pull the motor from to make my mounts

you can actually get a new 5.3 block for $125 less at summit than the plastic one, then get junk heads and have your mockup plus a ready to build block.

i wish i knew how to use CAD so i could make templates, but alas i am captain cardboard.

*-after 6.75% sales tax on the $424.97 price tag

Knurled
1/14/17 11:05 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

While true, it's also a heck of a lot harder to move a metal block around than it is a foam mockup. They hurt more when they land on your foot, too.

Keith Tanner
1/14/17 11:30 a.m.

We have a plastic LS1 that we use when building cars. It's great. A no-brainer for us to own because we use it so much. I originally bought it to build the MG.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/14/17 11:48 a.m.
Knurled wrote: In reply to patgizz: While true, it's also a heck of a lot harder to move a metal block around than it is a foam mockup. They hurt more when they land on your foot, too.

Yes, but at $425 i will deal with the metal mockup for now.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
1/14/17 12:31 p.m.
Indy-Guy wrote: OH, this is Awesome. DrBoost can I get a copy of the LS File too? sending a PM your way

I don't think I got the PM. Shoot me another one.

Knurled
1/14/17 12:43 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Same here, but I'm not the person asking for exact dimensions so I could 3D print a mockup...

If I were doing swaps regularly, though, I'd sure as hell want the mockup block!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
riBipF2BF67JULbeGOS1hkFV07mLaR1I031kLC51usB6uNuqewfwu0wjUp9HoXe6