Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Dork
3/15/13 10:00 a.m.
feature_image

Since our last update, we've completely removed the cylinder heads, coolant crossover pipe and all the other accessories on our boxer engine's block. We were itching to see what had actually happened to the bearings that we saw lots of pieces of inside the oil pan.

We found three spun rod bearings and some chipping of the main bearings. One …

Read the rest of the story

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/15/13 10:01 a.m.

Wow. That's not just a little detonation hammering, either. I hope the crank is salvageable. I'd also suspect some oil starvation.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Dork
3/15/13 10:07 a.m.

There was oil starvation for sure.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/15/13 10:24 a.m.

Holy carp. Before I read the detonation hammering explanation, I thought that was a very badly worn thrust surface...

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
3/15/13 11:18 a.m.

Here's what I learned today: 1. These engines look really interesting to build and I'd love to try one. 2. Do not buy cheap car from fellow board member. :)

jmr302
jmr302 New Reader
3/15/13 11:45 p.m.

Alan, be careful. If you grind the crank down a size it may not have the original nitriding anymore and won't be as durable. Replacement factory cranks are better the originals and not that expensive.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Dork
3/16/13 9:25 a.m.

The WRX crank is not nitrided, so that's not a concern.

jmr302
jmr302 New Reader
3/16/13 11:14 p.m.

Are you sure they're not nitrided? I'm seeing forum threads saying they are but can't find anything definitive. I recently had my EJ22 shortblock freshened by Outfront Motorsports. They chose to replace my crank, which had already been ground once, rather than polishing it again for this reason. Maybe the EJ22 crank is different (besides thrust brg).

axaQ4
axaQ4
3/18/13 5:42 a.m.

Definitely some serious oil starvation happened here. I would advise that you also install a baffle plate and a set of oil pressure/temperature gauges if you would like to keep this car running on the track :)

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Dork
3/22/13 4:58 p.m.

We just confirmed with Mach V Motorsports: They were only nitrided from 2008 through 2010 or 2011. It's not a concern with our EJ205.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4I3tshCfwLLcANFRdQXxJDaXVwdUKKXs5wUYUbhR49OCwLmpKXPvcwiUuzdt2DwP