dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/4/11 10:19 p.m.

Look up Docwyte on this board. He has a LSx 944 he just finished and tracks. Very knowledgeable guy.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/4/11 10:44 p.m.

I'll just leave these here:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/gm-48l-v8/38062/page1/

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/

http://porschehybrids.pbworks.com/w/page/17773888/FrontPage

I might also add that the older Audi V8 and 5-cylinder shares a bellhousing pattern with the 924 (Audi 4-cylinder) The 924 bell-housing bolts up to the 944 TT, which is of course connected to the Audi 5-speed. An AAN pushing a ton of boost might be a fun option to look at. Audi V8's are too bloody expensive (unless you find one at the end of your block for nearly free) and they don't produce as much power as the LSx motors can with a little work ;)

Good luck!

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
8/4/11 11:33 p.m.

Maybe consider a FC RX7 if you haven't already gotten the 944. Good chassis and brakes if you get the 5 lug car.

I just made a deal for a 83,000 mile LS1/T56 combo to put in my 1st gen RX-7 for $2500. Includes all the wiring, radiator, driveshaft etc. I get to pull the motor and everything I need then return the car to them.

There are deals out there. Good luck with the build!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/11 6:44 a.m.

I would look at the 4.8 or the 5.3 Getting in to one of these motors is silly cheep as compared to the LSx.

Go find the thread about the gm 4.8 that was percolating around there for the last week or three. I use to be a huge advocate for the 5.3 but now that I have been schooled on the 4.8 I think it is probably the best bang for the $$$$ especially if you are only looking for 250-300Hp in NA form. With the $$$$ you save using the 4.8 you can add boost (turbo or supercharged) and take the car to just this side of completely nuts.

Keep us posted if you do the build please post up with photos!!!!!

skywalker01
skywalker01 New Reader
8/5/11 9:29 a.m.

Having recently completed the 944/LSX conversion, I'm kinda partial to the 5.7L LS1. The truck engines, while cheaper, are a little heavier. If weight is not an issue for you, go for it!! Welcome to the darkside!!

docwyte
docwyte Reader
8/5/11 2:24 p.m.

Yep, I've been tracking mine all season. I've got the LS1 as well.

Feel free to fire away with questions.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
8/5/11 2:41 p.m.

What did you do for the brakes? Manual? Or Hydroboost?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
8/5/11 3:27 p.m.

It would be interesting to see a side by side cost comparison of a 944 and FC swap.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/11 3:54 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: It would be interesting to see a side by side cost comparison of a 944 and FC swap.

Sounds like the perfect GRM article!

skywalker01
skywalker01 New Reader
8/5/11 7:16 p.m.
njansenv wrote: What did you do for the brakes? Manual? Or Hydroboost?

I've gone manual with Wilwood 4 pistons in the front and 968 calipers in the rear. May upgrade to Wilwood dual MC to get better braking 'feel'

docwyte
docwyte Reader
8/6/11 10:40 p.m.

Hydroboosted setup using a Turn One power steering pump and a Ford Mustang hydroboost.

Factory Turbo S rotors/calipers, using a Tilton adjustable proportioning valve for the rear brake bias.

I wouldn't want manual brakes, I much prefer the feel and effort of power brakes...

joepaluch
joepaluch Reader
8/8/11 10:08 a.m.
Teggsan wrote: I've been trying to figure out a grassroots way to build a track rat w 10 lbs/HP or better.

944 Turbo with a chip. Simple... 250-300hp is pretty easy with some work.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
8/8/11 10:37 a.m.
docwyte wrote: I wouldn't want brakes, I much prefer the feel of danger...

I couldn't resist. Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4UbbUq4QR4kQkeLCHNk8Pp1BKEVctIBsWSHo9J0djjZTsDoYk6XzTBxMxs8Ax2I9