1 2
Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/11/15 9:59 a.m.

Recoil 3. W/ more Trophy Truck.

I for one am all for this kind of arms race.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
11/11/15 10:21 a.m.

Monster made the first 2 recoil vids but yeah the whole series is awesome. Urban trophy truck lol

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
11/11/15 10:28 a.m.

Note to self: make sure I have a trophy truck, before I find myself in need of a "getaway vehicle."

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
11/11/15 10:51 a.m.

So much cool in that.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
11/11/15 10:56 a.m.

That was fun to watch.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/11/15 11:16 a.m.

I don't think I need both my kidneys, but I definitely need a trophy truck. Wonder how much they cost? Dampers alone are probably as much as a decent house in Detroit...

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
11/11/15 11:18 a.m.

THAT'S MY TOWN!

Tacoma love here. I work in downtown right where this was filmed. I remember the week they were doing all the filming - lots of closed roads and mysterious whispers about what it was for.

I remember crossing the bridge you see towards the end of the video a few days later and remarking on the awesome burned tire marks all over. I hadn't put it together that it was from the filming!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/15 11:31 a.m.
Furious_E wrote: I don't think I need both my kidneys, but I definitely need a trophy truck. Wonder how much they cost? Dampers alone are probably as much as a decent house in Detroit...

I'm sure you can get a decent house in Detroit for less than the cost of those dampers.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
11/11/15 11:46 a.m.

awesome. just awesome. It's like the things I used to do with my RC cars but full scale.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/11/15 11:46 a.m.

Glad you guys enjoyed it. A friend at Toyo sent me the link last night: Not sure if this is your market, but it is pretty cool.

She was right: It is cool.

Also, glad to see Sasquatch wearing a helmet. Safety first, kids.

I'm editing my post, too, to embed the video since now have that technology.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/wM0qmMb3sCg

kb58
kb58 Dork
11/11/15 11:52 a.m.

Doing something like that on streets with bumps is always hard to suppress.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
11/11/15 11:57 a.m.

10+ foot drops to flat are impressive!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
11/11/15 12:01 p.m.

That was awesome!!

David S. Wallens
11/11/15 12:16 p.m.
2002maniac wrote: 10+ foot drops to flat are impressive!

And notice how the driver barely seems to notice? He's like, Oh, was that a bump?

David S. Wallens
11/11/15 12:25 p.m.

Speaking of Baja racing, the day before the SEMA Show Chevrolet Performance had us out at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch for a press event. I was there mainly to see the Z06 parts that they're now offering for the Z51.

The schedule also included some off-road driving in diesel Colorados as well as their full-size pickups. I paired up with Paul from Power Automedia--he's an old friend and just a neat guy. We were joined by a guy from Chevy as well as someone from Paul's crew. We grabbed a diesel Colorado, and I drove first--groomed gravel at first and then a pretty rocky path. (By the way, the diesel truck is totally quiet, even on gravel and rocks.)

Then Paul goes, You know, we have a Baja champ here in the truck with us.

What!?

Paul's coworker is Trevor Anderson, the 2012 Baja 1000 champ with a solo drive.

We pulled over and he drove. He's good at that. Plus what great stories.

You can find his team here: http://gonzoracing.net/team/bios.htm

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/11/15 2:34 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
2002maniac wrote: 10+ foot drops to flat are impressive!
And notice how the driver barely seems to notice? He's like, Oh, was that a bump?

Today I learned that a Trophy Truck is an 800 hp wall jumping recliner.

David S. Wallens wrote: Paul's coworker is Trevor Anderson, the 2012 Baja 1000 champ with a solo drive.

Did the truck lean to whichever side he sat on because he's an Iron Man much like Ivan Stewart?

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
11/11/15 3:05 p.m.

This type of e36m3 is why I'm building a street driven trophy truck.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/15 3:44 p.m.

Ken who?

Trophy trucks FTW. That is an awesome display of engineering. Wonderful!

David S. Wallens
11/11/15 4:38 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Ken who? Trophy trucks FTW. That is an awesome display of engineering. Wonderful!

Yep, there is some serious engineering going on.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/15 4:46 p.m.

The slow motion run through the offset bumps at the beginning is spectacular - that huge, heavy live axle getting bounced back and forth.

I love suspension travel.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
11/11/15 5:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: The slow motion run through the offset bumps at the beginning is spectacular - that huge, heavy live axle getting bounced back and forth. I love suspension travel.

Exactly my thoughts. I watched that part a few times.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
11/11/15 6:39 p.m.

i home from a long hard day at work. i tired. maybe brain-dead. i now have big smile. Thanks for posting

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/11/15 6:47 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: Ken who? Trophy trucks FTW. That is an awesome display of engineering. Wonderful!

I love how it lands from the huge jumps, the suspension just soaks up the impact, and there's barely any rebound.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/15 7:08 p.m.
petegossett wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote:
I love how it lands from the huge jumps, the suspension just soaks up the impact, and there's barely any rebound.

I can't even imagine the development that went into shock valving and spring rates. Controlling the axle on whoops, the entire truck on landings anywhere from 2" to 20', not having it flip every time you twitched the steering wheel.

It's a ball joint front end. How are they getting that much travel and not binding the joints, or worse, snapping them. Imaging the thought that went into bump steer. Imagine the loads the rack takes with those huge tires.

Imagine the abuse the entire drivetrain suffered on those whoops. The shock loads the differential saw had to be impressive. Full throttle, right tire, left tire, right tire, left tire.

The strength in the components is amazing as well. Like the truck in the gif thread that landed on the side and drove away. How did it not break an axle, hub, suspension arm, wheel...the list is endless.

Just awesome. If I had a spare million, I'd own one before I even looked at a Ferrari.

Will
Will SuperDork
11/11/15 7:21 p.m.

Colt Seavers approves.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QL9tmhWIjuxKWMJVwEGd1BvOwm0IdgaWzxiYBQXjXwEWEDStoOkMU4vO3D3l6tQB