mpolans
mpolans New Reader
9/23/10 9:07 a.m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/20/paris-preview-lotus-elite-shows-the-way-forward-with-slick-new/

jr02518
jr02518 New Reader
9/23/10 9:11 a.m.

Can we call it a " Toy-lotus"?

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
9/23/10 9:23 a.m.

The Elise already has a Toyota engine in it, although maybe not for long. Nothing new.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
9/23/10 9:24 a.m.

Repost:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/new-lotus-wtf/26682/page1/

That said, Lotus is like the mythical Phoenix - it has risen from the ashes of failed iterations throughout its' history.

If the company can successfully build and profit in the larger, more lucrative GT market it will have the funding necessary to develop and offer cars like the Elise and Exige.

That's not a bad thing, at all.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
9/23/10 9:30 a.m.

Plus, Lotus does a lot more than just build cars. They do a lot of contract engineering work. They'll be fine.

boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
9/23/10 9:45 a.m.

I thought this was going to be a thread about the F1 team dumping the "Lotus Racing" name.

Ah well. At least the car looks nice.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/23/10 9:54 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: The Elise already has a Toyota engine in it, although maybe not for long. Nothing new.

It isn't the engine, as Lotus has long used other people's engines.

It is the fact that the damned thing is 3600lbs.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
9/23/10 10:20 a.m.

Well, yeah, I understand that. I just read an article interviewing Dr. Robert Hentschel, the Director of Engineering at Lotus. He explained that in todays business climate, they have to branch out in order to thrive. They are developing a light weight cross-over vehicle for Toyota and a Evora plug in hybrid. They are also looking at producing electric bicycles. I agree that the car in the article goes against what Lotus is about, but they seem to be a very forward thinking company, so I wonder if there was a good business case for producing that car at this time. In any case, I don't think they're dead - far from it.

fifty
fifty Reader
9/23/10 2:46 p.m.

It's a Malaysian company now, am I rite. The investors need a return, no biggie.

captainzib
captainzib HalfDork
9/23/10 3:02 p.m.

How heavy was the Esprit? This looks like its spiritual successor. Not that it looks anything like the Esprit, but it seems to be in the same class.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
9/23/10 3:45 p.m.
fifty wrote: It's a Malaysian company now, am I rite. The investors need a return, no biggie.

The Malayasian government has a big finger in Lotus finances. Investor interests are definitely a factor, but there is more at stake.

It's more intriguing that Toyota is seeking to solidify ties to Lotus in both production-cars and in F1 racing. Toyota regains lost traction on its' performance image, Malyasia reduces it debt exposure, investors receive a net gain. Win for everyone!

And, I'm only a lottery ticket away from an Evora or Elite. Maybe I'll actually go out and buy one - the ticket, that is.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wvPbwKcueCTPa9fseLe7jdwSXG0MNdUzQkc63pUoydYXD1etXBbCWiQRijXKmFCE