1 2
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
4/6/17 7:55 a.m.

This guy sounds like one of those "I NO WAT I GOT" types, but I really like the car.

Think he'd bite at $3k? ;-)

volvoclearinghouse
4/6/17 7:56 a.m.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
4/6/17 8:00 a.m.

Is he flipping it or is he the owner?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/6/17 8:01 a.m.

But in this case I think he legitimately does know "wat he's got".

This is a hard one--it will likely never appreciate significantly, and I feel like it's a high price, but not entirely unreasonable.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
4/6/17 8:01 a.m.

I don't think $3k is going to do it on this one.... super nice car btw.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
4/6/17 8:06 a.m.

IMO the miles are too high to justify that price. Otherwise, if it's as nice as the pics make it look, $3000 is optimistic, but probably gettable.

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
4/6/17 8:10 a.m.

That's really high for a 25 year old Volvo. It's unfortunate that they spent so much time and energy maintaining a quarter century old commuter and then expected to get top dollar for it just because it's clean. I'd pass, but my vexation toward sellers like this is right up there with people who don't use turn signals, tailgate, and tell me how to do my job.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/6/17 8:11 a.m.

I don't think his asking price is unreasonable. I've seen cars that aren't as nice with higher prices. Some much higher. A $3000 offer might make him tell you to "go away" in a less than polite manner and not sell you the car at any price.

IMHO, $3500 would be a reasonable offer. But if you want the car, bring $3800. I don't think it will last long.

HappyAndy wrote: IMO the miles are too high to justify that price. Otherwise, if it's as nice as the pics make it look, $3000 is optimistic, but probably gettable.

No. In the Volvo 240 world, this is consider "low miles". If the miles were under 200K, the price would be closer to $5K. Under 100K - double that. These cars have serious fans.

volvoclearinghouse
4/6/17 8:12 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: IMO the miles are too high to justify that price. Otherwise, if it's as nice as the pics make it look, $3000 is optimistic, but probably gettable.

Agreed- if it were 150k miles, I'd be beating a path to his door, but even B230's wear out.

volvoclearinghouse
4/6/17 8:13 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Is he flipping it or is he the owner?

The way the ad reads, it sounds like he's either flipping it or selling it for the owner.

Datsun1500
Datsun1500 New Reader
4/6/17 8:17 a.m.

Reads like a flip, no tags looks like a flip. Driver fender is definitely a repaint. I'd ask if the title is in his name. If it's the owner selling it, I'd be tempted to go higher than $3k. If it's a flip, offer $2500, you never know.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork

Something happened to the left front fender. It doesn't match the rest of the car and the trim line is out of alignment (just to back up the paint discrepancy due to shadows)

"The owner is from Bethesda" tells me he is either selling it as the guy who put the $1200 clutch in as the owner didn't want to pay that much for a quarter of a million mile 25-year-old brick and just gave him the car in kind or that he is trying to be an agent of some sort (friend, family, trying to start business, whatever).

Just because it is rare doesn't mean it is valuable. My 3.0 X3 with a 6 speed was incredibly rare (2.5 base was much more common with a 6 speed, but BMW only brought in a total of 2500 of the X3 to the States with a manual, or so I have been told). Not worth that much and I knew what I had.

I think he is a grand too high. I probably wouldn't be able to get him down to my price nor me up to his.

If he is asking $3800 he probably wants $3500. You know more about these cars than I, but to me, it is cool, I would rock it, but not at that price.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork

This same factor is why Realtors are a thing for housing. When you're unicorn hunting, you have to do so without emotion.

Datsun1500
Datsun1500 New Reader
4/6/17 8:23 a.m.

Google his phone number. He has cars for sale and says he's a "broker"

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/6/17 8:24 a.m.

I'd say if he stands firm, he'll get his dollar amount. Fanatics for these cars are out there.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/6/17 8:48 a.m.

Googling the given phone number leads to this Ebay listing too for a Buick Roadmaster. In the eBay listing he calls himself a dealer and adds a $150 fee.

I'll admit, I think this Volvo should be on ebay where he might even drive the price higher to a national Volvo freak audience. More exposure than CL

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/6/17 8:54 a.m.
"The owner is from Bethesda"

Can someone tell me what this has to do with anything?

As to the add, fair enough, the guy knows what he wants for the car. I don't see it as unreasonable, just not a smoking bargain. He has obviously dealt with those who only buy smoking bargains and would rather not.

Tyler H
4/6/17 8:57 a.m.

My recent used truck hunt reminded me that the prime directive of a used car dealer is to do whatever it takes to NOT sell cars. If you're an informed cash buyer you're not eligible.

Don't expect a discount. They NO WHUT they GOT.

NOHOME wrote: I don't see it as unreasonable, just not a smoking bargain. He has obviously dealt with those who only buy smoking bargains and would rather not.

If I had a used car lot, I would call it "Smoking Bargains."

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
4/6/17 8:58 a.m.

If he is flipping it he probably bought it for 1500 to 2000 from original owner, if not less. Call him out on it...

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/6/17 8:58 a.m.

If you want to negotiate really hardball style...

PSST-if his name isn't on the title he can't sell it, the number to report him is on the bottom of the page above.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
4/6/17 9:01 a.m.

Unless he is a dealer and is intentionally making the ad look like a private seller.

Blaise
Blaise New Reader
4/6/17 9:05 a.m.

I stay the hell away from "for sale by owner" ads that clearly are anything but. Having the middle man in place jacks up the price and you can't even ask any questions!

That being said, the key to a good negotiation isn't an offer... it's having the other guy state the number first. 95% of the time, you can just say 'look, I don't want to do the whole back-and-forth' lowballing thing, just tell me what you want for it and I'll just say yes or no.'

95% of the time, the person will give you a lower number. Congrats, you just saved $ and you can always still go lower. If you make an offer first you'll either risk overpaying or insult the guy.

-Bought a perfect condition '89 F-150 for $600 like this (listed for $750).

-Bought a '96 miata like this for $800 instead of $1500

-Bought my old '92 miata back from the guy I sold it to(!). I had sold it to him for THREE TIMES the price a year prior. ($1500 vs $4500)

-Got $600 off the price of my Xterra without anything wrong with it at all

Lots of other vehicles obviously but the key is...Great deals, no insults. Always let the other guy say a number first.

volvoclearinghouse
4/6/17 9:14 a.m.
jj wrote: Id keep looking. I bought a nicer turbo wagon for $1700 with fewer miles. I also had a equally nice 240 sedan with fewer miles I paid $900 for. Is there something specific about this one that makes it worth it?

Specifically don't want a turbo, do like the 5 speed, and it has working A/C. It's also a wagon, so it's more useful than the sedan.

"High" NADA on the car is about 3K.

volvoclearinghouse
4/6/17 9:16 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
"The owner is from Bethesda"
Can someone tell me what this has to do with anything? As to the add, fair enough, the guy knows what he wants for the car. I don't see it as unreasonable, just not a smoking bargain. He has obviously dealt with those who only buy smoking bargains and would rather not.

Bethesda is a fairly affluent neighborhood, so stating the owner is from there implies the car has been well maintained by a rich, probably white, person. It's sort of casually racist.

Tyler H
4/6/17 9:20 a.m.
Blaise wrote: That being said, the key to a good negotiation isn't an offer... it's having the other guy state the number first.

The first person to throw a number is always at a disadvantage, and it's usually posted right there in the for sale ad.

Example -- I bought a used Cannondale bike from a guy with only about 30mi on it. His asking price was fair and I would have paid it, but I always ask "Can you be flexible on the price?" Just getting an affirmation is a win, and a little empathy and politeness goes a long way.

Turns out the guy dropped from $600 to $425. WHOA....gladly handed over my money.

But used car dealers are the Jedis of predatory negotiations, any have honed their craft. If you aren't a mark, they're going to quickly dismiss you. They aren't in the business of fair deals.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FVRfRTorOn0vcIil6TrEbXomANQMUwGsv6CR8kjCEelZCUmlhlShR8TzOcWqDvBS