The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
12/2/20 8:04 a.m.

Racing is filled with people trying to Beat the System. Whether it’s Smokey Yunick or the guy from your local autocross who spends more time reading the rulebook than working on his driving, there’s always someone trying to find the secret advantage that’ll help them win.

Most sanctioning bodies respond by adding page after loophole-closing page until their rulebooks crash …

Read the rest of the story

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
12/2/20 11:54 a.m.

I would much rather have a sanctioning body that embraces fun over dollars or rules. Remember the bossy neighbor girl that tried to dictate everything on the playground? Well she's still as un-fun as back then. And us? We still cool. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
12/2/20 2:14 p.m.

For other teams looking for a secret advantage, Lemons judges have announced that any BMW V8 installed in any full-size American car from the 1970s is also budget exempt.

That sounds like an absolutely horrible idea, especially for keeping it together for a 24 hour endurance race. BMW and their decision to stick a failure prone O-ring where you had to disassemble the engine to change a...

Wait, something's come up on Craigslist.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
12/2/20 2:18 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

For other teams looking for a secret advantage, Lemons judges have announced that any BMW V8 installed in any full-size American car from the 1970s is also budget exempt.

That sounds like an absolutely horrible idea, especially for keeping it together for a 24 hour endurance race.

It sounds to me like a combo in great need of that budget exemption.  Take care of the timing chain guides, all 93 oil leaks, and the 46 coolant leaks, then it should run for a while without exploding. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/20 4:17 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

That sounds like an absolutely horrible idea, especially for keeping it together for a 24 hour endurance race. BMW and their decision to stick a failure prone O-ring where you had to disassemble the engine to change a...

Wait, something's come up on Craigslist.

Where'd you find a picture of my driveway in 1998?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/20 4:22 p.m.
rslifkin said:
MadScientistMatt said:

That sounds like an absolutely horrible idea, especially for keeping it together for a 24 hour endurance race.

It sounds to me like a combo in great need of that budget exemption.  Take care of the timing chain guides, all 93 oil leaks, and the 46 coolant leaks, then it should run for a while without exploding. 

Is it only V8s, or are V12s also exempt?

Because BMW made V12s for aircraft, might be able to find a couple in the North African desert...

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/2/20 5:03 p.m.

My buddy races a BMW v8 in champcar.

Holds up just fine and makes almost 300 hp...

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/2/20 5:07 p.m.

The Challenge rules were recently only 1 page...

(ducks and runs)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
haU2afLcEzDiG1yglUYVgIiO6PjkvzjtGNFCnGkkYbHVaUoXj71cxuOoOkxy9rEM