Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
2/9/16 6:06 p.m.

Is there any use in blasting and painting the valve covers, or are you just going to get a tiny hint of color from under the coils that only an obsessive would see?

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/16 6:33 p.m.

I think that's a personal opinion.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/16 6:37 p.m.

I have always wanted to remote mount the coils on the firewall and run the wires in a neat loom. I always hated the semi COP design of the LS motors from a looks point of view.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
2/9/16 6:42 p.m.

If you look around online, there's several people who simply built a billet or cast aluminum (even modify old valve covers) to cover the coil packs to provide a more "old school" look.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
2/9/16 6:48 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: If you look around online, there's several people who simply built a billet or cast aluminum (even modify old valve covers) to cover the coil packs to provide a more "old school" look.

I know, but I hate engine hats. When I work on a Hyundai Santa Fe, I am confused why the engine is transverse, but the hat implies its not.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
2/9/16 6:51 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

I was replying to dean, not you. That said, I agree that they look silly and its not something I would do.

However for some people, like some Hot Rodders for example, they like the idea.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/16 7:14 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: I know, but I hate engine hats. When I work on a Hyundai Santa Fe, I am confused why the engine is transverse, but the hat implies its not.

Compensating for the Infiniti Q45.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/9/16 7:19 p.m.

there isn't much to see. i clean them up but never bothered painting.

this is my impala without the covers, can't see anything.

this is it with the covers, really can't see anything.

i like the corvette covers because they're not huge like some of the others, but the cover the fuel rails, coils, and wiring. leaves it pretty darn clean looking.

i do not care for the cover on the 9-7x, you can't even tell there's an engine under it, let alone LS power. however, the truck intakes are super ugly and have wiring running directly over the top so i can understand wanting to cover it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
2/9/16 8:23 p.m.

I'm using, at least in the short term, the truck manifold. I presume its going to be too tall for a 67 Camaro hood, but I kinda want to get it all up and running with stock bits, so if it runs wrong, I know where to look. If I change cam and manifold and it sucks, do I have a wiring issue, or a programming issue...The harness as delivered on a 3500 van is ugly as sin, that's for sure. I think as I rework it, I may feed it back to the firewall instead of straight ahead over the top.

I think I'm gonna paint the block and valve covers orange, and just clean up the rest of the aluminum.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/16 11:32 p.m.

Check out the cast Edelbrock coil covers. LS1/6 only, I believe, but they look great if you like the vintage stuff. They will trap heat on the coils, so not for a hard-workin' mill.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/10/16 5:51 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote: I know, but I hate engine hats. When I work on a Hyundai Santa Fe, I am confused why the engine is transverse, but the hat implies its not.
Compensating for the Infiniti Q45.

For those not familiar, this is the 4.5L, V8 Infiniti Q45s plenum which implies that it is a transverse engine (but it's not.)

TGMF
TGMF Reader
2/10/16 7:42 a.m.

^^^Guess I've never seen one of those engines. Thats a odd setup, I can see the timing covers, so I know the engine is in the right way.....but man,that must be a very strange lower plenum?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WJb8955WJRJT0UbEj27JPvjYcmWAdOKU9O8q5AoZogqWTv78KsniyWbfyILkTXWS