1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/14/12 12:34 a.m.

Just started reading this but it looks awesome, for the fiat if you ever get around to it a subi turbo fits in an 850 spider quite nicely

jakeb
jakeb Reader
4/14/12 7:24 a.m.

I actually have a fiat 850 and a fiat 500. I had planned on using the drivetrain from the 850 in the 500 and parting the rest of the 850. Can you tell me more about a subie engine in a fiat?

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/14/12 5:39 p.m.

big disclaimer I'm very new to this type of silliness, but if you want to get way more horses, the cheapest way I found after much research was a JDM twin turbo subi, mated to either a vw transaxle, or for a little more money a porsche 915 5 speed.

Now, the project i started with already had the front suspension replaced, so no crazy transverse leaf that would scare me, i'm not sure how a more stock set up would fair with way more power.

but I doubt a frequenter of this board would let suspect handling get in the way of more power.

If you wind up parting out the 850, let me know, but I'd encourage something more exciting.

jakeb
jakeb Reader
4/14/12 7:18 p.m.

The 500 is what I really want to put my time into. What are you needing from the 850? send me an email off board if you want.

I was thinking 850 motor and trans in the 500...maybe build the engine and put a tiny turbo on it. I would use a lot of the other bits from the 850 as well...seats, gauges, etc. But I will have a lot left over. If I do part it I would be doing in late this spring or early summer.

The floors are rotted in the 850 but all in all it is in nice shape. The 500 is actually in worse shape but I like it better so.... I also want to learn sheet metal work so it will be a good learning experience.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/14/12 9:51 p.m.

I don't know anything about the fiat motors, I've enver even seen one. All I know is the guy that gave me my car said he spent big money to get like 80 HP out of the 850. If I was going to all the trouble to do a swap I want more bang for my bucks/effort. The one part I'm desperate for is a windshield.

jakeb
jakeb Reader
4/15/12 2:42 p.m.

I am able to adjust the exhaust up and down maybe 1/2-3/4" each way so if I end up being too close the to driveshaft I can lower it down a bit. Added some more tack welds to the exhaust and took it off the car before I weld it all the way.

More wiring done....

Wiring coming off the TPS and IAC

Alternator and PCM coolant sensor

Wiring routed along from the injectors, coil, evap valve. Tapped anytime a wire comes in or out of the bundle.

Goes along the back of the engine...you can just see the wires coming up from the trans (O2 sensors, VSS, reverse lockout). Then it picks up, oil dummy light, cam sensor, maf, knock sensors.

From the passenger side...You can also see the crank sensor, coolant gauge, and starter wiring coming up into the bundle.

Passenger side bundle....it's getting bigger. Picks up the other injectors and coil wires.

Here you can see the wires started to be plugged back into the PCM in its new location. Some of the wires are too short and some are too long. The short ones will have to be lengthened of course but I am debating shortening the ones that are too long.... Some are up to 12" too long and I could sorta fold them back on themselves in the bundle or I can shorten them..... Any suggestions which way is best?

All connections of wires have been soldered and then covered in dual walled heat shrink. Inside has a adhesive that melts and bonds to the wire to provide moisture protection.

The rest of the AC parts will be here tomorrow so then I can finish the AC pressure sensor wiring as well as the MAF/IAC wiring.

If anyone else is doing a similar swap and needs harness work let me know. I really enjoy this step.

I was hoping it would be running next weekend but I am guessing it is the following. One of the problems I have is when I start to see the end of a project I almost don't want it to end...it's like a really good movie.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
4/15/12 11:49 p.m.

I agree, this is a really good movie. I, on the other hand, can't wait to see the ending! :-)

David

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
4/15/12 11:55 p.m.

Wires like that scare me. I fear the electron.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
4/16/12 9:01 a.m.

Any man who ENJOYS wiring a sophisticated, modern, fuel injected, computer controlled V8, into a slightly dated European sedan is a sick, sick, demented, wonderful, inspiring man. Hats off to you sir

jakeb
jakeb Reader
4/16/12 5:43 p.m.

There is a wind storm here today and the school I teach at lost power so I ended up with a half day.

I had power at my house tho.. I was able to get the exhaust all welded up.

The rest of my AC parts came today....and once again one of them is wrong. The company I got them from knows what they messed up....new one should get made and on the way. But the part I needed to be able to route all the lines was correct so that is good.

A couple AC line pictures..still need to be crimped

This is the part that is wrong....for the second time. It should have a #8 beadlock with a high side fill port. This one has #10 and a low side port.

Started plugging things back into the PCM. Lengthening or shortening by soldering and covering with adhesive lined heat shrink. Matching wire colors as close as I can get .

jakeb
jakeb Reader
5/2/12 1:20 p.m.

A small update...been busy with life and I haven't had as much garage time as I like. Wiring is ALMOST done. The engine harness just needs to be wrapped and the chassis to engine needs to be connected at the GM fuse box and then some wires routed inside. I took this friday off and plan to get all the small things done and if all works out I will be firing it up. HP Tuners is in route so I can pull off all the unneeded stuff from the PCM.

Some pictures...

Where the engine harness will connect to the chassis side.

Wiring that will go into the cabin.... econ gauge, tach wire, check engine light, OBDII port, 12v (switched) 12v (constant), ground, and also 6 wires if I ever want to connect my wideband.

Where it connects to the BMW fuse box.

You can see how the AC lines will route and hook up to the drier here.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UberDork
5/2/12 2:42 p.m.

How are you converting the tach signal from an 8 cylinder engine to work with a 6 cylinder tachometer? I recall one of the guys on the mye28 board who put a 540i engine in his car used a 4 cylinder tachometer (from a euro 518) and then added a divider circuit to cut the pulses in half.

jakeb
jakeb Reader
5/2/12 8:17 p.m.

You can change the tach output in the PCM software. All done in HPTuners

jakeb
jakeb Reader
5/4/12 5:33 p.m.

Well I was hoping to have it running today but that didn't happen. Worked on it all day but ran out of time. It's getting closer and closer though.

My list...

Engine harness off, fully wrapped. I went through and checked every pin just to be sure.

Harness back on the engine

Where it ties into the chassis

GM fuse box all wired up

I got some used GTO fuel rail covers....they need a little trimming to fit. They will get repainted and the GTO will get shaves off. Should they be black or silver? Or something else?

Other things that got done today but really no pictures to show... new radiator is in, lower radiator hose is done, upper rad hose is ready, heater hoses just need a couple more clamps, brake booster line hooked up, power steering lines ready to go... I think that is it

I should be able to work out there tomorrow a little bit but I doubt I will have it ready to start Coming soon tho.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/4/12 6:33 p.m.

Great job on the wiring harness!!

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
5/6/12 1:55 a.m.

I vote black not silver fuel rail covers. Silver looks modern which would be "normal." This car is now quite special so it deserves something other than normal.

David

jakeb
jakeb Reader
5/6/12 8:15 p.m.

Yeah I am thinking black is the color they will be

jakeb
jakeb Reader
5/13/12 6:36 p.m.

It's running!!! Video is pretty boring but this was the first start.....running smooth. Still have to finish a few things before it can be driven. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDydIYsUalA

A few pics of the exhaust painted and back on the car.

Also picked this up for my wife yesterday.....I am thinking it will get a 60 degree GM v6.....around 200hp or so.

67 volvo amazon

jakeb
jakeb Reader
5/13/12 7:49 p.m.

A little bit more finished. AC lines all crimped and installed

Looks like it belongs there.....Still unsure if I like the covers or not.

I like that they cover up all the coils and what not....I think I will like them better when they are repainted black.

I still need to find a new home for the cruise servo because the cable isn't long enough...well it is but the cable has to stretch over everything.

jakeb
jakeb Reader
5/22/12 8:02 a.m.

First time off the lift in 5 months..first time moving under it's own power. It needs an alignment really badly...also need insurance and a plate but it drove around the block a few times. I love the way the clutch feels and the trans shifts. Very happy I had the trans gone through.

I live in a residential area (25mph) so I really wasn't able to get on it much. But when I did it put a smile on my face for sure.

Hoping to get an alignment today and plates tomorrow and start driving the thing!

A few pictures. back on the ground

Location of shifter...I need a new boot. I might make a different selector so I can use a newer style BMW shift knob and also bring it just a tad higher. But this will work for now.

Another engine bay shot....

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
5/22/12 8:30 a.m.

Excellent work! That looks like will be a ton of fun

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
5/22/12 12:03 p.m.

probably one of the more respectable and cleaner, reliable builds I have seen in some time. Thats a wicked cool ride and probably a metric crap-ton of awesome.

Matthew Huizing
Matthew Huizing Reader
5/22/12 12:12 p.m.

I found some metallic black spray paint at Autozone that looks nice on valve covers. I can't remember what brand.

jakeb
jakeb Reader
5/22/12 7:40 p.m.

thanks!! Got the car aligned today....drives a lot better. Hoping to find some time tomorrow to get tags so it is legal to drive.

Gave it a quick wash today after months of dust and grime in the garage. These tires are a little too tall so it will look a little different but you can get the idea...

The paint it mostly dull....My cousin who does paintless dent repair and some amazing things with a buffer said he thinks he can bring some of the shine back. I will probably paint it next summer....still unsure if it will stay silver or change to black.

A few of the interior.

The guys at the alignment shop were blown away. I actually did most of the alignment as the rear is all adjustable now. Makes everything easy when it is all brand new.

jakeb
jakeb Reader
6/10/12 6:45 p.m.

I have put just over 400 miles on it and all seems good. I am going to change the cone air filter to an airbox as the intake sound is just too loud. You can't hear the engine at all really....just all air sucking.

I have an airbox from a e30 that fits and one from an e23 that is a little bigger but I think it will fit too. I will have some time this week to make something work. One plus about the e23 is the box is metal so I can change it as needed and weld to it.

I was hoping to have the AC charged by now but the heater core is leaking so I need to replace that first...

It was around 90 degrees here this weekend so I spent a lot of time inside. Worked on refinishing the wheels today. Right now the lips are just bare aluminum...with two coats of wax on them. I don't have them put together yet and I am at the point of should I powder coat the lips clear or leave them bare..... What do you all think?

I bought a keyless entry/alarm off ebay with the remote in the key. I didn't hook up the alarm part. Just the keyless. It is all hooked up. I just need to get the keys cut.

Worked on adapting the BMW cruise cable to work with the LS1 TB. Just need to add a crimp after the little snap thingy.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qrh8JO7ECdNA9doyIZXdSY5d4qmxlzwm41AuIGUSFlOW6l6DxXrVzopwSOtXa254