Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
5/31/09 4:08 p.m.

So today I had planned to figure out this brake squeal on our TSX. Well, I thought it was coming from the fronts so I had new pads ready to go. Got the wheel off and caliper off and inspected the pads. They were practically new!

So I put everything back together to go return the pads I didn't need. Also had my wife back out of the drive way so I could listen for the sound. Clearly it was coming from the rears.

I returned the front pads and bought new rear rotors and pads. Got back to start on the rears and started looking for the lug nut key. Kept looking for 20 minutes. Then it hits me. I probably forgot to take the damn key off before I drove to the store!

So if your driving around Jax and find a lug nut key, its probably mine. Can't wait to see how much the dealership is going to charge for a new one. Maybe they will have sympathy. Doubt that though.

Thanks for listening,

David Adams
David Adams Reader
5/31/09 4:43 p.m.

Had that happen to me on the Bullitt but it happened with aftermarket wheel locks. I wound up going to an O'Reilly and picking up a wheel lock removal kit. Not sure if the same can be done for your wheels though

Sucks to hear about though and I hope you get that stuff all worked out

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
5/31/09 5:11 p.m.

Thank you. I went to two tire stores and tried their lug nut keys with no success. They told me I can use a socket that fits inside the key and hammer it in. I thought about doing that but it got vetoed by the wife.

Going to go to the dealership tomorrow and will attempt to finish this job later in the week. Good thing the squeal is hard to notice with the windows up!

Just so frustrating at a moment of my own stupidity.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/31/09 5:47 p.m.

The dealership will have a master key set, I'm not sure about your local dealership but the one I work at we will take them off for free.

Rick
Rick New Reader
5/31/09 5:56 p.m.

I used a bolt and a grinder to make a "key" for my security lug nut. It works great. I've heard garages weld a piece of pipe to get the lug nut off.

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
5/31/09 6:02 p.m.
Run_Away wrote: The dealership will have a master key set, I'm not sure about your local dealership but the one I work at we will take them off for free.

I hope so because that would be awesome! The dealership we used to go to gave me this past key for free. It was really nice considering we bought the car used (auction) and it wasn't with the car.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
5/31/09 7:36 p.m.

My in-laws just had the same problem with their Dodge.

Are stock wheels really that popular to steal?

I've never had a set of wheel go missing, OEM or otherwise.

Shawn

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
5/31/09 8:15 p.m.

I hate this kind.

Snapped one on a NB once and we had to drill the stud out to get the wheel off. That was a HUGE pain.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/31/09 9:54 p.m.

Find a deepwell socket that you hate...like an 11/16. One that just barely is too small to fit over the security lug. Tap it on with a 3lb hammer and use a breaker bar to get it off. You can then put it in a vice and punch the lug out of it. Buy four new lugnuts to replace the stupid security locks.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/09 5:43 a.m.

You might want to try one of these.

http://www.endeavortool.com/Gator_Grip/page/Gator_Grip.html?PHPSESSID=f2eb9f7b13fa658fe3f141336a725411

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
6/1/09 8:07 a.m.
Woody wrote: You might want to try one of these. http://www.endeavortool.com/Gator_Grip/page/Gator_Grip.html?PHPSESSID=f2eb9f7b13fa658fe3f141336a725411

That is what I went looking for yesterday. Now I know where to buy it. Thank you!

Went to the dealership this morning and they were super nice. They took the locked lug nut off all four corners and put on regular lug nuts. Granted they are about 1/2" longer but at this point, I will take it!

Now I just have to carve some time out of my schedule this week to fix the rear brakes. The squeal is going to drive me crazy!

Kramer
Kramer Reader
6/1/09 9:46 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Are stock wheels really that popular to steal? I've never had a set of wheel go missing, OEM or otherwise. Shawn

Someone stole the steel spare wheel/tire from under my brother's Expedition a few years ago. He now has a locking cable securing it.

Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
6/1/09 11:04 a.m.
Woody wrote: You might want to try one of these. http://www.endeavortool.com/Gator_Grip/page/Gator_Grip.html?PHPSESSID=f2eb9f7b13fa658fe3f141336a725411

I hope this works for the OPs sake, but if it does, I see no reason to even have wheel locks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bdc4ChT7pnz81gfbKhvE0fnT5eWGmhhPOFiMCb5iiT4KlPui9Stj80ibkGFXlBQp