1 2 3 4
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/17 2:57 p.m.
sesto elemento wrote: Update... Brian's wife and I talked, she thinks that he would've wanted the kids to finish the build. She is donating it to me for the purpose of building it with the kids and if we can swing it we'll build it and do the challenge if possible (probably not this year because $$$). I'm really happy because the car reminds me of him and he was a dear friend. It's gonna make the kids happy too, they loved him.

If $$$$ is an issue just let us know.

Or post a parts list and we can take turns having Rockauto (or other sources) ship parts to you and the kids.

If you do post a list people should "claim" items before they order so as not to get multiples.

Not sure how that will impact the Challenge "budget" but I will go out on a limb here and say that I really don't think anyone is going to say anything as long as the final build is in keeping with the spirit of the event. Maybe we can take this to the Tom's Supreme Court and get a ruling/exception for this case.

Hay I think Ovid_and_Flem may have a source for good legal counsel that we could tap for the plea to Tom's Supreme Court. . . .Yes? I seem to remember there being some "legal" issues with their build last year that required some legal counsel. Or am I mixing up my people here?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/18/17 3:44 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

If the GRM powers get out of line, I'll just invoke the "don't be a dick" rule on Tom.

D2W
D2W Reader
4/18/17 3:44 p.m.

I'm in for a $$$ corporate sponsorship/donation. Love helping the kids, just let me know what you need. A GRM member one-day-build with the kids would be great but you are just too far away for me.

Maybe a magazine could step up and organize this?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/18/17 4:47 p.m.

I'm in for parts donation or sending some funds your way. Have you set up a go fund me site yet?

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
4/18/17 4:49 p.m.

Two parking lot builds anyone???

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/18/17 4:51 p.m.

If you get it built why not offer it in a silent auction during the Challenge concourse on Saturday? Proceeds to m030 family...

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/18/17 5:39 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Two parking lot builds anyone???

That was my plan if i got involved with the Stampie setup.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
4/18/17 9:00 p.m.

Anything you guys want to do would be awesome, it'd really make his loved ones and myself happy to be able to do the challenge on his behalf.

Also, how the hell am I to figure out the challenge value of this car?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/18/17 9:07 p.m.
sesto elemento wrote: Anything you guys want to do would be awesome, it'd really make his loved ones and myself happy to be able to do the challenge on his behalf. Also, how the hell am I to figure out the challenge value of this car?

Is Mrs M030 gonna donate it to you? In that case I'd put it at $0. Under the circumstances I doubt anybody would question it.

Where I'd the car? FL or MA?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/18/17 9:09 p.m.

Any idea where Brian was on his budget?

You could just start with that number- it would be a pretty clean way to do it, and continue the legacy.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
4/18/17 9:30 p.m.

We're in mass, no idea on his budget.

We talked about options after the build and we agreed that it'd be a pretty special way to remember him would be to have it around the shop to tinker on and take to the track with the kids pitting and getting rides in it. I asked if she would take some driving lessons on track and she said she'd love that, when his kid gets old enough, I can teach him too.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/18/17 9:45 p.m.

When you say his kids working on it I assume you mean kids that were in his Auto shop class? I went back and read his obit and I assume he has only the one infant son?

Would you have the spare time to put it in challenge shape? If so let me know what I can do to help fund the project. Direct donations or go fund. Doesn't matter to me.

dean1484
4/18/17 10:59 p.m.
sesto elemento wrote: Also, how the hell am I to figure out the challenge value of this car?

I think it would be fair to say that Brian's Wife would have given it to anyone that would take it to the challenge and as such the deal was available to anyone. So a starting point of Zero would seem to be a good place to start. Yes this is a very very loose interpretation of the rules and I fully understand that the GRM staff has the final say on this. This is how I see it. The last thing I would want is to see it not make it due to a budjet issue.

I saw all those kids at the funeral. I was really amazed as well as touched. I really could see the hurt and sadness. These are good kids that have been dealt a bad hand in life. Brian gave his all to help them. These kids were his kids and I am sure that many of them thaught of him as more than just a automotive shop teacher. I know that while they would infuriate him at times he also was very proud of them. He told me as much. On more than one occasion.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/19/17 6:25 a.m.
dean1484 wrote:
sesto elemento wrote: Also, how the hell am I to figure out the challenge value of this car?
I think it would be fair to say that Brian's Wife would have given it to anyone that would take it to the challenge and as such the deal was available to anyone. So a starting point of Zero would seem to be a good place to start. Yes this is a very very loose interpretation of the rules and I fully understand that the GRM staff has the final say on this. This is how I see it. The last thing I would want is to see it not make it due to a budjet issue. I saw all those kids at the funeral. I was really amazed as well as touched. I really could see the hurt and sadness. These are good kids that have been dealt a bad hand in life. Brian gave his all to help them. These kids were his kids and I am sure that many of them thaught of him as more than just a automotive shop teacher. I know that while they would infuriate him at times he also was very proud of them. He told me as much. On more than one occasion.

If she wasn't it sure sounded like stampie would have. At least to drive. I think this is one of those gentleman's agreement deals where we just all agree that it's a free camaro. Or whatever the value is to maximize the budget.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/19/17 5:08 p.m.

Why isn't there a go fund me page yet? Can someone make one or do you want me to learn new tricks in my old age?

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/17 5:49 p.m.

I'm with Stampie,

Go

Fund

This

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/17 6:00 p.m.

You might want to consider Generosity instead of GoFundMe, their fees are much less.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
4/19/17 7:04 p.m.

Here goes!

http://www.gofundme.com/3o5gbps

I think he would've absolutely loved this idea. I'll do my best to make him proud. The kids are delighted to have a chance to honor his memory. Thanks for the encouragement and support, what a fantastic community.

We love you guys!

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
4/20/17 8:36 p.m.

Thanks to those who have donated, good people on here.

dean1484
4/20/17 8:53 p.m.

Will join in from my pc tomorow

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/20/17 10:09 p.m.

The site asked for credit card number. Is it a safe thing? I want to donate, but want to make sure that i don't expose myself to unnecessary risk.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/17 10:33 p.m.

Yes it charges your CC for your donation. Always make sure you're on a https site before entering your CC. That's just safe internet practice.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/10/17 9:26 a.m.

Bump to remind all of go fund me challenge...c'mon folks, let's make this happen

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/10/17 10:38 a.m.

Can you post a list of parts you need? I would be happy to mail something to you for the build. Even if I have to purchase it first.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/17 4:57 p.m.

I'm always happy when a Grassroots post is the top of my Google results. I didn't know Brian well but I paused for a minute when I saw the OP of my result.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-seam-welding/11521/page1/

I have a bonus coming later this month so I'll kick some more then.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p2pXPCoUT0H1eILhBDnUrxSLE0dKmCLoc542CSXtuWb6QuMNiDryAEYIt5ijQtCt