ratghia
ratghia Reader
2/23/17 6:05 p.m.

So today I bought a 1999 10ae car with 55,000 miles. I've had a 96 for 8 years, but now that I'm the ripe old age of 24 I decided that having things such as air-condition and power steering would be nice. Plus $3,600 seemed like too good of a deal to pass on. My game plan is to swap everything new over from my na to my nb, but that left me with a few question. Will na8 sway bars would on an nb? I have the flyin miata bars front and rear with 949 end links. Also las year I re-did all of my bushings with poly. The sway bar attachment is different but the rear control arms can swap right, just not the fronts? I know, I'm cheap, but if i already spent the money and then time to make them pretty why not... What tire size can you fit under an nb? I know an na is limited to a 225, the nb can fit a 245 right?

Toebra
Toebra Reader
2/23/17 6:12 p.m.

Depending on wheel offset, 225's will fit, 245 I think you have to cut the fender liners.

The 1.25 front sway bar is too much, 1.125 is the one you want, or that is the common consensus. You will also probably want to do the reinforcing blocks for it too. I don't think the NA front sawy bars fit on that NB, maybe the rear, but you better check on that.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/17 6:18 p.m.

Interchange!

• if you swap your front and rear lower control arms over, you should be able to use those NA sway bars. The geometry of the arms are the same, the difference is in how the end links attach.

• the control only arm you can't swap over is the upper front.

• you will want to reinforce those sway bar mounts if you're using really big bars. Also, make sure they're not binding in the bushings, RB bars sometimes have some trouble there.

• it takes about the same amount of work to put a 245 on an NB as it takes to put a 225 on an NA.

Good price on that thing.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/17 6:20 p.m.

I thought the suspension was identical between the two, with the exception of the shocks/springs. Regardless, I'm sure Keith will be along soon enough to drop some knowledge bombs on us

EDIT: Or he'll be along while I'm typing this and make me look dumb.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/17 8:18 p.m.

The front subframe, steering rack, upright and front upper control arm are all different and related. So if you swap one, you should swap them all.

BTW, the NA rear upright has 5mm less track than the NB version. Helps when you're trying to stuff a bigger tire in there. Direct swap otherwise.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
2/24/17 9:18 p.m.

Best color Miata ever. Love the 10AE.

evildky
evildky SuperDork
2/26/17 9:56 a.m.

Just go back to the NA and sell me the AE. You stole that one. I found the two tone interior a bit polarizing but I got used to it. I do so miss mine. ABS car?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JlXCaHPiKNf8IMMk2mOYZxRHGjXmNwXqLwyJ0koIicd4XXQ8Lcps06CcJmZXcEJ8