Presented by Nine Lives Racing
1 ... 7 8 9
Matt
Matt Reader
4/10/19 1:55 p.m.

thanks! its run at 2.75 deg AoA and this was the first and only time i ran the car with the wing. More data is required, i am changing the set up on the car this year, big rubber, bigger brakes as well so the aero will play into all of it.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/15/19 10:25 a.m.

Well, this happened yesterday:

Weighs 26 lbs and I can stand on it in the middle. Since standing on your wing is apparently the good way to prove its strength. 79 inches wide (78 wing plus two 1/2 inch end plates). Total cost is about one small bottle of wood glue $2.50 and like 20 2 inch screws - $.50? Even if I bought a sheet of new plywood I'm only using roughly 1/3 of it. So this can be reproduced with new material for $20-$30.

Next up, testing!

Supports underneath and end plates are just screwed on for now, since I might want to move them around for testing. So far I think I'm around 4 hours of build time on this. Many more hours of planning and research though.

Robbie
4/18/19 3:10 p.m.

I also tried my hand at making a youtube video of this process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afn3a-6ADvA

Matt
Matt Reader
4/20/19 8:19 a.m.

great vid Robbie! "Scientific Method" LMAO! i made my splitter from "reclaimed" aluminum honeycomb panels and bonded/spliced them together to get a panel big enough to be a splitter and then i used old pallets to make the internal structure of my wing that i skinned with aluminum from the trash. Wish i had the minerals to put a vid together when i made my aero kit...but making stuff for free is always cool - even better when it works!

thanks again!

Matt

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/24/19 2:43 p.m.

Robbie,

I finally got around to watching your video of the wing forming/build. Well done on the presentation. It looks like you have a good base for further testing and development.

Robbie
5/24/19 4:45 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Thanks! Yeah I've been stuck the last few weeks with other work (mostly the explosion of all things plant that happens in spring with all this rain) but I am excited to get testing it.

I've also been steadily reading through library books on vehicles and aerodynamics, so maybe I'm learning.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/28/19 11:57 a.m.

If you have questions on how to approach the on car testing, let me know.

Robbie
7/13/19 10:15 p.m.

Here's the testing thread, I will have lots of questions and will be looking for input for everyone:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/aerodynamics-presented-nine-lives-racing/hold-my-beer-and-watch-this-or-scientific-airfoil-testing/155795/page1/

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/19 10:29 p.m.

Well, this happened:

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/19/19 10:46 p.m.

Team name: "Cargo Cult Racing."

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/8/19 3:44 a.m.

so, are we going to get an 'after-action' report on how this/these did?  Besides the one shot in another thread of how flat the wing is, compared to the roll of the body, I haven't seen much.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/19 6:19 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Yes, I've been planning a write-up which I should finish today. I'm delinquent. Short version is they work well but we had other problems that prevented better data.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/14/19 11:21 a.m.

As a guy that also builds, designs and flies RC airplanes, I commend your start with real airfoils.  I bet Jim Hall would also be inspired.

1 ... 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ivhf2zc1FZ7AuYA8QjzskXsVxvhRyi0CTbeSy04vNvB0Qa1ucfkHK3rIJ1qAAHr4