1 2
_
_ HalfDork
9/11/19 11:44 a.m.

Exploring possibilities here. After watching the hoonigan episode where one man bravely put a coyote motor in an all-wheel-drive fusion and turned it into rear wheel drive, I was thinking about how much easier and cheaper it might be to simply take the front wheel drive out of the fusion and leave the stock engine. You can get some of these with a 2.7 L TwinTurbo engine right? 

Turn up the wick, and enjoy a quite a bit of power and rear wheel drive, four-door fun.

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
9/11/19 11:53 a.m.

I’m pretty sure these aren’t “real AWD", and instead are just FWD with a haldex system that applies a little power to the rear wheels only when the fronts slip.  Therefore you can’t just turn off FWD, and even if you could you’d blow up the rear diff pretty fast.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/11/19 12:04 p.m.

He was using a stock Mustang rear subframe and diff under the back (apparently the Mustang subframe bolts right in and it didn't look like he cut the floor up), with a Coyote stuffed under the hood and a Tremec TR-6060. The 2.7T that comes factory in these is transverse-mounted, but it does come longitudinally-mounted in trucks, so there is an oil pan front drive that might be a bit more conducive. Not sure how easily it would squeeze between the shock towers though. You could also put the EcoBoost Mustang engine in instead.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/11/19 12:10 p.m.

Just so we know...The recent MKZ (fancy Fusion) offers a 3.0L twin turbo V6 and awd that makes 400 hp right off the showroom floor.  

_
_ HalfDork
9/11/19 12:13 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

If the coyote fit between the shock towers (and they were uncut), then anything can. Lol. 

I know it’s likely that “haldex” style system like most awd today. But if you remove the front shafts, it might work. Although being such a new car, it probably has a ton of sensors that would freak out from not seeing driven wheel speed or something like that. You’d also have to probably lock the system that sends power rearward (another canbus nightmare). 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/11/19 12:26 p.m.

In reply to _ :

That is true, the Coyote is a big boy. But the V6s don't exactly look narrow, plus have a set of turbos hanging off the sides. I don't know the measurements of either though, so maybe I'm just imagining the V6 is super wide. The other concern I would have with your plan would be, can the rear diff unit hold that kind of power?I don't know what the bias is on those, but it might only ever send 30% of the power to the rear wheels, so then if you hit it with 100% power things might get explodey.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/11/19 12:30 p.m.

what years of Fusion is this applied to?

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/11/19 12:36 p.m.

Most recent generation. The Aston Martin-looking ones

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/11/19 12:38 p.m.

Here's the car that kicked off this theorizing

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
9/11/19 12:39 p.m.

I didn't know before but it is my dream to own a RWD Fusion.

The looks are killer, and the power that can be had with factory ford stuff these days is impressive. Make it drive the rear wheels and that is a perfect package in my book. Somebody please make it happen. I'd even be happy with the 4cyl mustang powerplant.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/11/19 12:42 p.m.
NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/11/19 12:43 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Great. Only 20 more years until they start being legal to import! At least GM gave us a brief taste of Monaro and Commodore greatness (and we nearly got the Maloo). 

slowbird
slowbird Reader
9/11/19 12:45 p.m.

I don't know the answer, but I endorse this sort of tomfoolery.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/11/19 12:45 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

That thing looks so freaking similar to the Fusion that I have to wonder if it shares anything, though.  Between the appearance and the apparent ability of a Mustang rear subframe to bolt in something seems fishy.

_
_ HalfDork
9/11/19 12:47 p.m.

Imagine a Barra powered conversion!

ruthlessly

ripped from a fusion forum: 

The following article comes from WardsAuto, July 10, 2006

Ford Develops AWD System In-House

DEARBORN, MI – Ford Motor Co. has developed its own all-wheel-drive system for several upcoming sedans and cross/utility vehicles, rather than expand use of the system supplied by Swedish parts maker Haldex AB, Phillip Kurrle, drive line systems supervisor tells Ward’s.

The new system will be offered in V-6 Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln MKZ (formerly Zephyr) midsize sedans and Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX CUVs.

Kurrle says there are several reasons why Ford decided to develop an AWD system in-house, instead of using the Haldex system employed in the bigger Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego sedans and Ford Freestyle CUV.

“Trying to get that hardware across the ocean actually would cost us more than making it domestically,” he says. “We were also trying to get something that better fit the application. We were trying to engineer a system that was conducive to the (Fusion/Milan/MKZ) customer (and) flexible enough so we could also put it on the Edge and MKX.”

Cost and capacity also were factors in the decision to develop an AWD system in-house, Kurrle says at a media preview here of Ford’s ’07 models.

Haldex simply didn’t have the capability to supply the volumes needed for the midsize sedan and CUV programs, Kurrle says, and Ford was able to develop a simpler, more affordable unit.

Upcoming Ford Edge to feature internally developed AWD system.

The Ford AWD system is similar to that used on the Ford Escape CUV, he says, adding that Ford developed the system independently of its subsidiaries, including Mazda Motor Corp., which engineered its own system.

Being able to build the system in great quantities is essential to meeting earlier announced plans to sell 500,000 vehicles with full-time AWD systems annually in the U.S. by 2007.

The Ford-developed technology is similar in many ways to the Haldex system, Kurrle says, without revealing exactly what changes were made. “This is a ‘slip-and-grip’ system. It detects the slip of the front wheels and transfers torque, similar to the Haldex system.”

The Ford technology, Kurrle says, is simpler than the Haldex system because it is “more electro mechanical (and) the Haldex is more of a pressure, hydraulic-based” system.

Despite the simpler setup, Kurrle is quick to point out that the Ford system is “designed and calibrated so it’s got as good a performance as the Haldex.”

The system eventually could make its way onto other Ford vehicles, including the Five Hundred.

Kurrle, who was wearing a shirt with the logo “4Drive” at the event here, says the moniker does not refer to a potential brand name for the Ford-developed AWD system. Rather, he says 4Drive is an internal slogan.

However, Fusion Marketing Manager Dan Geist says there is some ongoing internal discussion as to whether or not to brand the system, but “nothing has been finalized.”

_
_ HalfDork
9/11/19 12:53 p.m.

https://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/702-ford-fusion-all-wheel-drive-awd/

this explains a lot. Looks like the actual coupler is electromagnetic and is solenoid activated. Could one just apply constant power to the solenoid and remove the front driveshafts? We need a guinea pig fusion.... 

hive?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/11/19 1:56 p.m.

You can put windshield wipers on a pigs ass, but it really won't make the pig very happy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/11/19 2:02 p.m.

In reply to _ :

Doubtful.  I'm not sure I've ever heard of a transverse AWD transaxle that can handle being used as RWD only, even if the coupler could take it- at a minimum I think this conversion is going to have to involve a different transmission, mounts, and diff to really work.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/11/19 2:11 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

You can put windshield wipers on a pigs ass, but it really won't make the pig very happy.

Filing that one away to use

_
_ HalfDork
9/11/19 4:38 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

How are the CRX guys running the rwd and awd for rt and crv conversions?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/11/19 4:45 p.m.

Buy Taurus SHO. Turn up boost. Profit?

slowbird
slowbird Reader
9/11/19 7:16 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Just so we know...The recent MKZ (fancy Fusion) offers a 3.0L twin turbo V6 and awd that makes 400 hp right off the showroom floor.  

So...you're saying I should try to find an MKZ engine and cram it into some other car on a Challenge budget? Because that's where my mind is going. laugh

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/11/19 7:56 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Buy Taurus SHO. Turn up boost. Profit?

I did that. It was fast and fun, but it also had driveability issues in cold weather.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
9/11/19 8:53 p.m.

I need to start shopping for parts as that thing made me smile ear to ear after an 17 hour day.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
9/12/19 1:02 a.m.

That was seriously cool. IIRC and not as cool; but, the last gen UK Civic Type R rear subframe bolts up directly to a Honda CR-Z and possibly some front bits too. Doesn't make it RWD or louder than an F-16.....still neat. 

I love builds like this...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RGEj0rG2BlVXTbF6ieTtSLl6k3XADdbnDrPDwpf9uXI1FqnNMn9Zs72ecNt55L3B