The_Jed Reader
Oct. 23, 2011 8:57 a.m.

I recently resurrected my '97 Impreza Brighton with mostly Legacy parts and the rear struts, springs and mounts from an '04 WRX. In order to make the struts fit I had to slot two of the three strut mount holes a bit, in the body, on each side. I'm sure some of you are cringing and truth be told it made me more than a little nervous to do it but the results were worth it.

Yesterday I received the front struts, springs and mounts from an '05 STi and yet again modifications were in order to make them fit. Apparently the STi spindle is about 1/8" wider than the Legacy spindles that are currently on the Brighton and the spindle-to-strut bolt holes are spread about 3/8" further apart. Luckily I am a packrat and still had two non-cam strut bolts from the Legacy.

I took a few measurements, layed out the tool path the best I could, by hand, in my driveway then set to work with a rotary file mounted in a die-grinder. From center to center the new hole is down 3/8" and in 1/8" from the original upper hole in the strut flange which is just enough to pop a straight strut bolt through and securely mount it to a first gen. Legacy or GC Impreza spindle. Camber is no longer adjustable due to the use of two straight bolts and the absolute lack of any slop whatsoever but I don't mind. I used flat washers to fill the gap between the spindle and strut flange but I will be making a shim soon.

The added front stiffness makes the old Scoob feel like a precision instrument and it is MUCH more balanced now. With the blown Legacy front struts with rusty springs and the like-new WRX rears it tended toward oversteer in all situations which, to me, feels strange in a Subaru. Now it's what I assume a normally aspirated, haggard 22B would feel like.

Just figured I would share. By far this was the best $100 upgrade I have ever put on a car!

ValuePack Dork
Oct. 23, 2011 2:06 p.m.

I'm really looking forward to eventually refreshing the 214k-mile suspension in my TS. Hopefully I can do so just as cheaply!

Thanks for the writeup!

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

36 minutes ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

38 minutes ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

2 hours ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

4 hours ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

4 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

6 hours ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

2 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

2 days ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

3 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

3 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

4 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

4 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
297jhvCAU8LFIkzia9LoC4jpgiYl0Zkl