1 2
SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
5/3/18 9:16 p.m.

Factory cars are usually merely spot-welded, which leaves potential gaps everywhere.  Easy button is to seam seal every crack to keep moisture out.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/3/18 9:18 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Generally to keep water out of places that are impossible to rust proof otherwise. But in this case, both.

Gtx: thanks! Im still working on my waxer streak. Haven't quite gotten rid of it yet.....

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/4/18 7:16 a.m.

So if a chassis is simple enough and was seam welded everywhere and painted appropriately, theoretically it shouldn't need any seam sealer other than to smooth over nasty fab work? Asking for a friend... 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/4/18 7:19 a.m.

Theoretically. However, ive never seen a water tight seam weld. Thats why the challenge car had the money spent on the seam sealer, as it definitely has a life after the challenge. 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
1/20/19 8:49 p.m.

Not a canoe!  Just me checking in for any other input on this topic.

This week I plan to prime, seam seal and eventually paint a wheel well before suspension starts going back in.  I’m as yet undecided on what sealer to use...

Dusterbd13- did you end up painting over the seam sealer you put on?  How did that go?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/21/19 12:14 p.m.

I did!

Used a cut down paint brush and a rubber gloved finger to spread, and then painted right over with tractor paint and rustoleum. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/19 12:22 p.m.

I recently did some seams too. I bought a quart of "Speedokote" on Amazon for like $25 and some cheap rubber spatulas to spread it around. I think it looks pretty good after painting over. The 1 quart should do every seam I want to cover on this car. 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
1/21/19 3:31 p.m.

So no special magic involved?  Let it dry completely, make sure it’s clean and then paint it?

I think I can handle that!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/21/19 3:59 p.m.

Yes. Especially the dry completely. Twice as long as the can called for. And make sure to buy the paintable seam sealer

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
1/21/19 7:01 p.m.

The caulking-gun style tubes are easier and neater than the tin can style.  I did a lot of the V8 Firefly with the can and brushes, but the tubes are way worth it (though more expensive per volume).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5D43rpBa9cCHVprgMXmcTfxBElGTmlTznvq8zbQfaxvJ3npl9E2bkysP4jMacJDU