mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/15 8:24 a.m.

Last night coming home from work, keeping a decent space between me and explorer in front, I turned my head for a second to check traffic coming up on my rear left as we were on an onramp.. and the car infront of the explorer stops. The lady in the explorer comes to a screeching halt.. and I turned my head in time to slow the Malibu to the point of -just- nudging the explorer..

I need a hood, grill, and the bumper is scuffed.. so I am going to replace that.

$1000 deductible.. so I am just going to do it out of pocket

If the Malibu had just been a little mess mediocre of a car, none of this would have happened. I had to turn my head to look over my left shoulder because the mirrors are just a terrible design, the braking on the car is very overboosted, and the ABS is very very sensitive. If just one of those things had been a decent system, this post would have never happened.

So stay away from Explorers peoples.. they are out to get us

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
3/28/15 11:39 a.m.

What do you consider a decent space? In NY State the law is 2 seconds behind, safer is 3 to 4 seconds. Most people drive at 1 second or less.

I am planning on printing up a bumper sticker in really small letters that says "If you can read this go back to New Jersey" I am not saying you tailgate, but if there is someone 6 inches off my bumper it is usually an Audi or has New Jersey plates.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
3/28/15 11:42 a.m.

Wassup w/ Malibus and Explorers lately?

mad_machine
3/28/15 11:49 a.m.
pjbgravely wrote: What do you consider a decent space? In NY State the law is 2 seconds behind, safer is 3 to 4 seconds. Most people drive at 1 second or less.

decent space is about 5 or 6 car lengths at 30 to 40 mph... it was a steep corner at the start of that onramp.. so everyone slows way down for it.. you are just not supposed to stop at the end. The lady I "nudged" told me that she barely stopped in time for the car in front of her.. so it was a chain reaction crash waiting to happen, thankfully nobody was behind me when it happened or I probably would have gotten sandwiched.

Monday I am getting an estimate. As I was reminded, the car came from Florida, so no doubt a good amount of colour matching is in order

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
3/28/15 12:48 p.m.

Sorry Mad. Did something similar to my e39. Except it's more like 1800 in parts for a 3000 car. So it's going to move on. glad you'll be able to make it work

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
3/28/15 2:05 p.m.

Sounds like you were driving like I do. I current drive 1.8 miles to work in a 30 MPH zone, and I get into at least 1 near miss a week. The resident non-drivers now run stop signs without looking, they used to at least look before running them. You would think there would be accidents all over but somehow they seem to miss each other.

Because of this driving has become a chore that I would rather not do anymore, but imagine riding a bicycle on the same roads.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/28/15 4:01 p.m.

In reply to pjbgravely: Sorry to say. They not only ride their bicycles on hugely busy roads around here, they insist on doing it mostly on curvy blind hill type roads. Even when some of those blind roads have bike paths or lanes, they generally choose to not use them. And yes I read the "share the road" stickers on their cars with bike racks as well as anyone else.

Talk about running stop signs, bikers seem to travel through them at full stand up peddle. They assume, mostly correctly, the motorized vehicles will stomp on their brakes to not hit them.

Will
Will SuperDork
3/28/15 4:14 p.m.

Explorers are being hateful of late.

mad_machine
3/28/15 6:37 p.m.

I would too if people kept calling me "exploder"

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nvDsBe46WINTdO8gwz3N8x37mBkA9d8cueb8ky4WKou0BgkS4skTV4GSmA2sogSe