1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
9/8/12 7:43 a.m.

John, When the apocalypse comes, can we come hang out with you? Your resourcefulness is inspirational. As one giant post-apocalyptic army, we can convert all our vehicles into ZAVs

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
9/8/12 8:11 a.m.

And a large portion of his cars are carb'd, so if an EMP goes off, his stuff will still run.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/12 4:30 p.m.

Wow I hadn't seen this thread for at least a year and missed a lot of updates...great stuff, this is one of the most functional garages I've ever seen, period!

06HHR
06HHR New Reader
9/8/12 4:47 p.m.

The great part about it is the average person can actually afford to do just about everything he's done, provide the SWMBO doesn't kill you first.. Glad to see this thread is back!

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
9/9/12 6:02 p.m.
Steve Chryssos wrote: John, When the apocalypse comes, can we come hang out with you? Your resourcefulness is inspirational. As one giant post-apocalyptic army, we can convert all our vehicles into ZAVs

Hell ya! Only a few hours down the road from you guys. I never built a ZAV but the experience from building this should be useful. Bring at least one Shrifter setup because I want to install one in something!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/9/12 6:34 p.m.

Is that a GTM?

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
9/9/12 6:35 p.m.
06HHR wrote: The great part about it is the average person can actually afford to do just about everything he's done, provide the SWMBO doesn't kill you first.. Glad to see this thread is back!

I've been keeping the receipts in a pile. The total so far "out of pocket" is about $220.00 which works out to about $0.30 a day since I started a couple years ago. While Grassroots doesn't necessarily mean a project is cheap, this one is. Glad a bunch of you guys are enjoying the thread, I saw this thread is # 3 on the leaderboard page. Very cool.

Two quart's of Polyurethane $20.00. Have most of a can left. Quart of black paint $7.50. 2 gallons grey paint $50.00. Have most of a can left. 2 - 8" lights $80.00. Light bulbs $20.00 Hardware $42.00 Mostly for screws for the bins. Old work electric box $1.00

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
9/9/12 6:44 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Is that a GTM?

Yes sir! LS2 W/G50. Had the customer take the obligatory hoist pic after setting (shoehorning) it in place with the trans and AC compressor attached.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
12/23/12 6:11 p.m.

I've been getting a lot of work done in the garage/shop but my ole Craftsman horizontal 110 V conmpressor can't run an air board for bodywork and DA's etc will only run in bursts. A friend of mine hooked me up with a 2 stage 60 gal with a new head and another 60 gal tank to add storage volume. The motor was burned up when someone screwed up wiring and hit it with 340 volts so I'll have to find another 5 HP one and do some plumbing to couple the tanks.

A couple weeks ago I gave said friend a (BOP) Turbo 350 trans & crossmember with low miles and a shift kit for his wifes Trans Am without expecting anything in return. This compressor setup is a nice surprise at X-mas and is gonna be great ! Think maybe I'll give the tanks some paint before setting them up.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
12/23/12 6:21 p.m.
Rad_Capz wrote:

Now that's a winner, consider it stolen

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
12/23/12 6:25 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Is that a GTM?

GTM update for ya Dean

It's been on it's maiden voyage around the block and we put it together enough to bring to a small show at a local trade school/high school so the kids could check out a kit car build in progress.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
12/23/12 6:28 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
Rad_Capz wrote:

Be my guest! Works great around the garage on a smooth floor but the small wheels won't roll over much.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/23/12 6:38 p.m.

Cool stuff! Congrats on a viable business.

Not planning on turning over the keys anytime soon, hopefully.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
12/23/12 6:40 p.m.
Rad_Capz wrote:
aussiesmg wrote:
Rad_Capz wrote:
Be my guest! Works great around the garage on a smooth floor but the small wheels won't roll over much.

add a center plate and you can use it as a jacking stand as well

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
12/23/12 10:16 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Cool stuff! Congrats on a viable business. Not planning on turning over the keys anytime soon, hopefully.

Bank still won't deal. Balloon payments scheduled to start 2015. We'll see what happens between now and then.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/24/12 9:48 a.m.
Rad_Capz wrote:
m4ff3w wrote: Cool stuff! Congrats on a viable business. Not planning on turning over the keys anytime soon, hopefully.
Bank still won't deal. Balloon payments scheduled to start 2015. We'll see what happens between now and then.

Best wishes

dean1484
12/24/12 10:31 a.m.

Sweet. I want to build one of those some time. I sat in one down at FF and was surprised just how small they are inside. I would have to make some adjustments to it as well. The controlled just did not fit me correctly. But that is the great part of a kit car you can build it to your exact specs. What I really want to do it put the GTM body on a 818 chassis.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
12/24/12 6:07 p.m.

They are very small inside. the owner is a much bigger guy than I am and it will be a tight squeeze for him. The controls can be set up to accommodate the driver it's being built for. In this car the owner wanted an adjustable drivers seat. I angled the drivers seat a bit and set it up to slide back as far back as possible to get as much distance between the steering wheel and seat as possible. For drivers over day 5'9"-5'10" I'd recommend a fixed position seat mounted directly to the floor. The Wilwood pedals can be set up for leg length.

The cage halo bar above the door is close to peoples heads so I'll be putting roll bar padding on them which will be covered by a custom fiberglass headliner piece to give the ceiling a more finished appearance.

dean1484
12/24/12 6:36 p.m.

I am 5 11 and I did not like the position of the shifter in the one I sat in. I am sure that this can be adjusted. I was also surprised how low you sit in it and how restricted the view out the frount was. I wanted to sit higher. Again this was a FF car on in there showroom and all this can be adjusted to fit the owner.

stroker
stroker Dork
12/24/12 10:10 p.m.

I stumbled across this thread.

My wife moved out in August.

Evil, evil, creative thoughts are prancing through my head....

There's a Haiku in there somewhere.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
12/24/12 10:52 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

Sorry that happened Stroker. I am one of Clem's friends so I live in the area and would be fully in support of this!

stroker
stroker Dork
12/25/12 11:34 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Clem said you guys were working on a 2013 Challenge car. Is that happening? Can I helpz?

We now return to our previously scheduled thread.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
12/27/12 6:41 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: I am 5 11 and I did not like the position of the shifter in the one I sat in. I am sure that this can be adjusted. I was also surprised how low you sit in it and how restricted the view out the frount was. I wanted to sit higher. Again this was a FF car on in there showroom and all this can be adjusted to fit the owner.

I'll be putting a pad in the seat to sit on when I drive it because I sit too low and ya the view seems restricted just sitting in it but I';m accustomed to larger greenouse vehicles so I'll wait till I drive it to make any judgments.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
12/27/12 6:42 p.m.
stroker wrote: I stumbled across this thread. My wife moved out in August. Evil, evil, creative thoughts are prancing through my head.... There's a Haiku in there somewhere.

Time to build what you want! That way it's already in place if/when the next hot babe comes along.

stroker
stroker Dork
12/27/12 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Rad_Capz:

"hot babe".... Like THAT'S gonna happen...

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JvBLxw12G0EonVubgr1caCxOh9wszDJEvQq9p4xuGF0CuqV68MY2iwj9Zca3NAnL