1 2 3 ... 11
Carson
Carson HalfDork
6/18/09 11:44 a.m.

This came up briefly in the Milano thread and a lot of times I think m4ff3w and I are of a similar mind.

But why not? I honestly know nothing about these cars other than they have a terrible reputation and I think they look pretty sharp.

What's the cause for their reputation and what is required for the fix?

There somewhat easy to find and they're really cheap.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/09 11:47 a.m.
Carson wrote: What's the cause for their reputation and what is required for the fix?

Cause: Complex, failure prone engine and electrical system.

Fix: Small Block Chevy, Painless Wiring Kit.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
6/18/09 11:49 a.m.
Woody wrote:
Carson wrote: What's the cause for their reputation and what is required for the fix?
Cause: Complex, failure prone engine and electrical system. Fix: Small Block Chevy, Painless Wiring Kit.

aww sum

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/09 11:50 a.m.

I have been tempted to throw a nissan V6.. maybe a VQ35. Being all aluminum, it should not affect the handling over the stock Aluminum V6, but double the HP

pres589
pres589 New Reader
6/18/09 11:51 a.m.

GRM had an article about these cars a few years ago. Basically it's powered by a French engine with a lot of Italian tuning and mods to get a pair of turbos and a pressurized box around the carb for power. They break oil pans easily, trim is nearly impossible to find, and they look awesome. I think I'd rather have a Volvo 780 Bertone; both styled by Bertone and from the same era, but one is built by Volvo.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/18/09 11:55 a.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/maserati-biturbo/

Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
6/18/09 11:56 a.m.

I had one for a while, nice in a straight line, doesn't like to corner though.

Also, parts..needed a fender..$400, needed head gasket set..$400, needed a piece of the exhaust..$400. Seems they liked that number,no matter what you needed.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
6/18/09 11:57 a.m.

Early Weber-carbed versions are far more trouble-prone than the later fuel injected cars. That being said, they still have the aforementioned problems to deal with.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
6/18/09 11:57 a.m.
pres589 wrote: ...trim is nearly impossible to find....

Hey man, speak for yourself!

Carson
Carson HalfDork
6/18/09 11:58 a.m.

In reply to pres589:

What if I put a PRV 6 in one? That way I'd be keeping it kind of French powered and that touch of Volvo bombproofness. Keep it with two turbos for the namesake.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
6/18/09 12:00 p.m.

In reply to Supercoupe:

If I need a fender I'll buy another entire car for $400.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/09 12:08 p.m.

I would totally rock one. I could not resist.

I don't really care which body shell, as long was I found one cheap. The more electrical problems the better. My buddy has a painless wiring harness he'll give me if I ever need one. Then add the megasquirtz and have loads of hellacious fun.

I just want a straight body.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
6/18/09 12:14 p.m.

They just arent terribly good cars. Any body parts (including windshield glass) are expensive, the engine and drivetrain arent that durable, they dont handle well at all, and they get like 15 mpg if you are lucky. If you really want one, get the newest one you can find, and plan on spending a bit of money for it.

RossD
RossD Reader
6/18/09 12:24 p.m.

Your welcome: $1800

Carson
Carson HalfDork
6/18/09 12:38 p.m.
RossD wrote: Your welcome: $1800

That's pretty cool but the trouble of getting it here from Wisc when there are truly rust free examples here in NC for about $1000 make it less appealing.

I love the looks, I think one of these with a potential engine swap could be in my (distant) future.

Travis, tell me more about the handling.

pres589
pres589 New Reader
6/18/09 2:13 p.m.
Carson wrote: In reply to pres589: What if I put a PRV 6 in one? That way I'd be keeping it kind of French powered and that touch of Volvo bombproofness. Keep it with two turbos for the namesake.

I think I just puked in my mouth a little. How about a GM L67 or L33 instead?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/18/09 2:14 p.m.

The PRV has way too much PR in it to be anywhere near Volvo bombproof.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/09 2:17 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: The PRV has way too much PR in it to be anywhere near Volvo bombproof.

I think the even fire B280 was pretty tough.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/09 2:22 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: The PRV has way too much PR in it to be anywhere near Volvo bombproof.

Brilliant!

Carson
Carson HalfDork
6/18/09 2:43 p.m.

Hahaha, I was curious of the PRV suggestion's reaction. I kind of got what I expected.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
6/18/09 2:57 p.m.

All i really know about them is that the guy i bought my milano from has 2 of them (one a parts car, one that the timing belt slipped and bent the valves), but he said when the good one was running, it seemed to be rather front heavy, and prone to snap oversteer. I think its kinda the same problem E30s have with that, but alot worse.

He has had many weird cars (several milanos, gtv6, alfetta gt, 164LS, Lancia Scorpion, fiat 124s, and lots of others) and he said the biturbo isnt really something he would recomend to anyone. If I had enough money than $5k or so didnt matter to me, it would be sorta fun to have one just to see what its like, but I think there are alot more pleasant unusual cars around.

kb58
kb58 New Reader
6/18/09 3:44 p.m.

I remember someone in our timetrial club bought one - gosh, it must 20 years ago - and he was all exciting by "how much car you can get for $12,000"

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/09 7:26 p.m.

did I hear the magic words... "Lancia scorpion"?

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
6/18/09 7:31 p.m.

What i heard about the scorpion was it is a big heavy x1/9 that costs alot more to fic and doesnt handle as well. But, they do have more potential to be fun with alot of work.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/18/09 7:59 p.m.
Woody wrote: Fix: Small Block Chevy, Painless Wiring Kit.

This has been fantasized around here before. As anyone actually done it? The thing would be a killer hybrid in the spirit of Iso and DeTomaso.

I think it would be sexy as hell.

1 2 3 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FoviBsHHKjFJTu1xGYfiV0TpLFbLpeRE0g2wcVMgrCSJ7PRW6ZfJqw7nPlgnHHBw