1 2
wspohn
wspohn Dork
6/8/19 11:10 a.m.

Let's see - they rust out frequently, they aren't very fast nor powerful, they aren't worth much used and parts are expensive and hard to come by in some cases.

Geez - if you didn't know what I was describing it could be a Jag XJS, except the parts situation is better for the Jag!

Guess they have always struck me as a kind of Chrysler Crossfire soft boulevard cruiser, but to each his own.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
6/8/19 1:49 p.m.

I happened upon a Bee-toorboh in a central Virginia junkyard maybe 15 years ago while I was looking for RX-7 parts.  Looking back, I probably should have snatched a souvenir or two off of it.

rdennis211
rdennis211
11/22/19 2:40 p.m.

"In 1985, the U.S. importer on the West Coast introduced a hotter version called the Biturbo S."

This is incorrect. There was no Biturbo S for the U.S. market in 1985. The car you are thinking of is called the Biturbo E.  In this case, the E does not stand for Export (none of the cars were ever badged as such anyway) but Evolution. The U.S. Biturbo E featured the first generation of Spearco liquid-to-air intercoolers and power was increased to 205bhp up from 185bhp.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/22/19 6:09 p.m.

I have mentioned a few times about a friend that converted  one into a track car running the stock drive train.  Biggest problem was handling. Complete rebuild was needed.

He runs a Citroen service and restore shop he has some interesting sources .

He has pretty much retired the bi-turbo in favor of a tube frame,Maserati v6 mid engine car, which he autocrosses in the summer and ice races in the winter.

You can find pictures on the AMEC web site.

b13990
b13990 Reader
11/22/19 10:52 p.m.

In reply to Robert Bowen :

When my parents took me home from the hospital, I'm sure they imagined me growing up to ferry around 2 or 3 grandchildren in a nice, sensible minivan or wagon. Meet a nice girl, settle down... all of that.

But something about that chiseled Italian body has called out to me, since adolescence. If it looks good and feels good, how wrong could it be?

Don't many of us yearn to push those hardened, well-oiled exotic rods to their limits? To experience the surreal grunt of a force-fed continental beast, driving one back into a caress of firm leather? Probing newfound limits of human performance and collapsing, spent, dripping gloriously scented oil?

I guess I've always been a bit "bi-curious."

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 New Reader
11/23/19 8:51 a.m.

Dad had a 87 biturbo vert with 5k miles that he would allow us to ride in once a season. 10 min trips around the block at full boost caused the most intense sensation for a 7 year old caused much lust to own it one day. Then it was sold once I turned 15 during a sad chain of events (but I did take a Ferris Bueller Day out in it before it was gone).

Man I loved that thing, and the interior leather felt alien to me. So suppulent ulent compared to our Volvo.

Old man (RIP) busted the oil pan in an alley and dropped a trail of oil for 3 blocks to get it back to the shop. Was NOT a cheap fix and much cursing was commenced but lucky he didnt lockup the motor

Kingkong
Kingkong New Reader
11/23/19 10:14 a.m.

Of course I went to CL to check prices..came across this really nice example

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/new-milford-1987-maserati-biturbo/7006287890.html

Interior looks nice to me. Simple and plush.

Couch cushion back seats!?!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/23/19 10:50 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Funny. I had never considered pronounced Bee-turbo. I have always said/read as Buy-turbo. 

The correct pronunciation of "Biturbo" is Bee-trouble

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jwvSwmG87uHoFHGkFtNRkceTJsiUR2Hi9xKDuzXdQuU2KKIw5D0qUTFT2CklzsnE