1 2 3 4
Asylum67
Asylum67 New Reader
8/24/10 1:58 p.m.

We are currently trying to resurrect the Rollerskate kit. Working with my sources to locate the original molds for the body. Although slight modifications will most probably be needed to accommodate some more up to date components. I will post up any updates on this thread or you can e-mail me to put you on a list.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky HalfDork
8/24/10 3:44 p.m.

Make sure it can be made with moar LSx!

fbarrett
fbarrett
9/23/10 8:04 p.m.
snipes wrote:

That's my car, the seventh Maxton made, being driven by original owners Bob and Janet Fletcher of Denver on the Colorado Grand, photo by Bob Dunsmore.

About 50 Maxton Rollerskates were made in 1990 in deepest Englewood, Colorado. To avoid the financial and legal snags of being a full-on carmaker, the Maxton folks offered the car as a kit, but they also recommended a guy next door who could assemble it for you and add a Mazda RX-7 rotary engine and drivetrain. The finished cars weighed aout 1,700 lb, so 220 hp moved it right along. Coilover springs, Koni shocks, rack and pinion steering, VDO instruments, and all that good stuff meant great performance and handling. It's like driving a race car on the street: very nimble and quick.

I understand that a full article is coming in GM, so I won't let the cat any farther out of the bag, but the Maxton's bang for the buck factor is extraordinarily high. I just got mine running right (it sat for six years), and it's a riot on wheels!

Frank

Powar
Powar Dork
9/24/10 12:33 p.m.

^ Awesome. Welcome to the forum, Frank.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
9/24/10 12:38 p.m.

Yeah, I'm going to have to jump on that bandwagon and say I want one too.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/18/10 11:52 a.m.

Just a quick bump. I have the Rollerskate article, and you'll be seeing it in print very soon.

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/18/10 12:00 p.m.

Great... even more anticipation.

I was already waiting on the Hollis' exhaust article (teased in the current issue of GRM)!

Powar
Powar Dork
10/18/10 12:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Just a quick bump. I have the Rollerskate article, and you'll be seeing it in print very soon.

Eggcellent!

1992Maxton
1992Maxton
1/22/11 7:22 p.m.

Tim sorry we missed you at the 2010 Mitty that was my wife and I out for our first long drive after we got our car. We will be at the 2011 Mitty for sure with Mazda being the car make this year. The updated article was pulled from the Feb issue keep us posted when it might run! Here is the link to the Owners web site for you folk that might like one or learn more.

http://mxtnrollerskate.home.comcast.net/~mxtnrollerskate/

mike
mike Reader
1/22/11 9:36 p.m.

I think that I test drove one of these at the Chicago Historics (Road America) back in 1992 or so (may have been '93, not sure). I was about 21 years old, at any rate. The kit manufacturer (or a rep perhaps) had a tent in the paddock to promote the car. I drove the "display" car up and down the highway, not on the track, but it was a hoot to drive! If I'm wrong about that car being a Maxton, well, how many two-seat rotary roadster kits have there been?

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
1/23/11 12:05 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Just a quick bump. I have the Rollerskate article, and you'll be seeing it in print very soon.

when can we expect this?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/23/11 8:09 a.m.
2002maniac wrote:
when can we expect this?

Should be the in April issue. That's the next one that you'll see.

eastpark
eastpark Reader
1/23/11 9:21 a.m.

Very similar to the Beva that I looked at a few years ago:

svisek
svisek
2/9/11 10:39 a.m.

I look forward to the article. I own Maxton Rollerskate #19, one of the long-wheelbase cars, with an injected 13B, 4-wheel discs, and a limited slip rear. Car is a blast to drive; very elemental/visceral; revs easily to 9k. It's great therapy after a stressful day, but short back roads drives are best. For hours of touring it would not be much fun. I'd love to also have a luxury convertible (SL, XLR, XK8, SC430, etc.) for weekend touring.

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
2/9/11 11:31 a.m.

^^^ http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/5348/

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
2/9/11 11:39 a.m.
eastpark wrote: Very similar to the Beva that I looked at a few years ago:

I looked at a Beva kit, too. probably 15 years ago,or so.I wonder what ever became of the firm.

nonyabizness
nonyabizness
2/10/11 10:05 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens: If U do I own the first Prototype (The Mule) Maxton, I brought it a little over a year ago, and what a great street legal race car. it was not made to be street legal legal, but with added options it was done, It is the best driving car I ever drove, it is in a level all it's own. I also have all the building pictures and blue prints, and drawing on the making of the car, I am honered to even own this car.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/11 11:02 a.m.

the mule is not exactly the prettiest thing in the world.. but I would still own and drive it

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/10/11 12:55 p.m.

I love it!! A lot more than I would think.. It's got the right amount of funk mixed in with the sport. The roll bar is too high in my opinion, but of course you wouldn't want to go messing around with the prototype of something like this! Neat car, thanks for posting pictures.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/10/11 1:15 p.m.

I agree, its only kinda hot, but in that buddys-younger-sister sorta hot way. Im not sure if I love it cuz I love it, or if I love it cuz Im suppopsta hate it? anyway, I love me some hood louvers, and boy does that one deliver lol. +1 thanking you for posting!

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/10/11 1:20 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I agree, its only kinda hot, but in that buddys-younger-sister sorta hot way. Im not sure if I love it cuz I love it, or if I love it cuz Im suppopsta hate it? anyway, I love me some hood louvers, and boy does that one deliver lol. +1 thanking you for posting!

Maybe it's modestly hot. "You know, the kind that are only sorta hot so they don't mess around with other guys."

nonyabizness
nonyabizness New Reader
2/10/11 1:30 p.m.

In reply to dculberson: The rollbar is a false one I added to have a top made for it, and that holds up the top of the roof off my head, got caught in the rain more then once, and I had to come up with something. The original drawing of the car had one, but because of space the prototype coulden't fit it to make it work, so it was left out. I agree on the bar, but I had to keep it off my head :-) This was never made to be street legal, just as a test unit. It's a 280Z engine with a supercharger on it, and a Alfa Ramaro 5 speed Transaxel with a body built around it. It's like driving a 4 wheel motorcycle, it loves curves, and I live in the Ozark Mountians, and this thing is NUTS%#@^&%$#@ Here are a few more pictures. Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

kpm
kpm Reader
2/10/11 1:56 p.m.
integraguy wrote: After "assembling" their Maxton, MotorWeek ran a contest to give it away. My @#$%^ local PBS station STOPPED carrying MotorWeek the week they started the contest...with the necessary details on how to enter.

I made the paint for the giveaway car. Pat Goss wanted a specific BRG in a basecoat, and this being a fairly new paint technology (early '90's ) I had to do a fair amount of research to find a color that was acceptable to Pat.

I'd love to see a picture of the old girl !

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/10/11 2:10 p.m.

Oh shoot! I certainly didn't mean to badmouth your work. ;-) I completely understand the need for a top.

I bet it's a blast to drive.

nonyabizness
nonyabizness New Reader
2/10/11 4:33 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Oh shoot! I certainly didn't mean to badmouth your work. ;-) I completely understand the need for a top. I bet it's a blast to drive.

Non Taken, I agree, I just have to have it work for my size, I love driving it, it's a blast. I did not want to add it, but the last time caught in the rain coming from a show really sucked, so it was added. I did have it shorter, but my head went into the canvas top, felt like a basketball player. The car is real small, and short. I'd love to have one of the Production models, but finding 1 for sale is not the easyest thing to do, BUT it would not have the drivetrain I have in mine. Great talking with U

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qGnsb3hGXOSb1FGtfn3l0UEMsPuUrRlAuItQJUhdpOaSjVOc43Mu7aJeJsZRYr5x