1 2 3 4
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
1/27/11 7:33 a.m.

my new Racecar!

1997 VW GTi VR6. Picking it up for $300. Has the motor in pieces in the car, needs a trans and axles. My co-worker has the trans and axles, so i am good to go! It is going to be a slow build as I want to do it right instead of rushing things.

First thing on my list is: CAGE. Will update when I can

Conquest351
Conquest351 New Reader
1/27/11 7:50 a.m.

Nice, congrats. What are your plans for the car?

DukeOfUndersteer
1/27/11 7:55 a.m.

get it to the point where i can take it to some open track days and get my racing license. Dont think it would be competitive in SCCA or NASA, just be fun for open track days until i can get an E30 or 36 and build a Spec car.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/27/11 8:07 a.m.

hell of a buy at 300 bucks!

DukeOfUndersteer
1/27/11 8:11 a.m.

Yeup. Has a fresh coat on it, Euro front and rear bumpers, basically everything is there, just disassembled...

mike
mike Reader
1/27/11 8:18 a.m.

Oh wow, so jealous. I even like the color. Good job, man.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/27/11 8:35 a.m.

Nice find! Blue exterior with white engine bay - very 'race car'!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/27/11 8:37 a.m.

Why can you always find the best deals?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
1/27/11 8:39 a.m.

Only in the ATL

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/27/11 8:42 a.m.

$300... way cool. What kind of racing are you targeting? Does the cage imply bangin' fenders?

DukeOfUndersteer
1/27/11 8:57 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Why can you always find the best deals?

A buddy of mine had it sitting outside his shop. His intentions were the same, but he has no time/money as he is still building his track car...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: $300... way cool. What kind of racing are you targeting? Does the cage imply bangin' fenders?

Haha, not bangin fenders yet...

minimac
minimac SuperDork
1/27/11 9:16 a.m.

Good. Now, you'll have something to keep you busy instead of torturing us northern folks with all of the unobtainium vehicles in the Atlanta area.

DukeOfUndersteer
1/27/11 9:19 a.m.

In reply to minimac:

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/27/11 9:40 a.m.

woah...details on the Jetta?

Also, nice score, seriously! I love that blue, and the white bay will look sick! Keep us posted for sure!

DukeOfUndersteer
1/27/11 9:48 a.m.

2.0 16valve, 400hp, Evo 3 16g turbo at 22psi, dude is Bryson, he owns a body/paint shop close to where i live. Real good dude that does awesome work! Trying to get his butt to join the site...

DukeOfUndersteer
1/27/11 9:58 a.m.

at Little Talladega from this past Monday, I wasnt able to go...

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
1/27/11 10:03 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: get it to the point where i can take it to some open track days and get my racing license. Dont think it would be competitive in SCCA or NASA, just be fun for open track days until i can get an E30 or 36 and build a Spec car.

If your ultimate goal is to race an E30 or E36 spec car, get that VW running and sell it for a profit to fund what your ultimate target is.

By the time you get the suspension, brakes, cage, safety equipment and such for the VW, you could have done the same to the car you say you want.

DukeOfUndersteer
1/27/11 10:33 a.m.

Very True

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
1/27/11 10:59 a.m.

Nice! Skip the cage though unless you're really racing.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
1/27/11 11:06 a.m.

Though I could see a four point bar if you wanted to do track time. I've seen too many cars roll to NOT recommend it.

DukeOfUndersteer
1/27/11 11:20 a.m.

Well, i found a site that sells cages on the cheap, funny name too

https://brokedickracing.3dcartstores.com/

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
1/27/11 5:20 p.m.

Those look like the standard S&W Roll cages, check the rules for wherever you want to race to make sure that it will be adequate.

Sounds like a great Lemon to me :P

LopRacer
LopRacer New Reader
1/27/11 6:49 p.m.

Nice. Just make sure you pay the premium for a DOM tubing cage, while the ESW cages are half the price they are not race legal with SCCA or NASA for wheel to wheel racing. Not to mention they are alot safer. It will pay off in the long run at resale to have a legal cage, and it could be competative in NASA's GTS class if you set it up right.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/27/11 7:29 p.m.
LopRacer wrote: Nice. Just make sure you pay the premium for a DOM tubing cage, while the ESW cages are half the price they are not race legal with SCCA or NASA for wheel to wheel racing. Not to mention they are alot safer. It will pay off in the long run at resale to have a legal cage, and it could be competative in NASA's GTS class if you set it up right.

+1 avoid ERW tubing.

Smack35
Smack35 Reader
1/27/11 7:46 p.m.

There has been a few of those prepped for SCCA ITS. I'm sure it'd be fast. It's one hundred pounds more than the 240z's which are the top of the class with the BMW 325is. It has good potential there.

Awesome Find! Steven

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zeSj3Wr7TIFV71oQgRXU2zWDXc6SaXBMenUEthLin7sc9z4RjBOj3Owm2BuSYruG