dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/11 12:11 p.m.

Just like the title states...WOW!

Ferrari-powered wagon

Before the new Ferrari FF Shooting Break there was only a handful of coach-built Ferrari Wagons: The legendary 250 GTO “Breadvan” and several 456T “Venice” estates. But what about Ferrari-powered wagons? This is where the fun really begins, and where the flawless formula of (Classic car + giant modern engine= WIN) comes into play. The classic here is a 1960 Nash Rambler Wagon. A venerable member of the 50’s wagon generation, the Rambler is an excellent candidate for Ferrari power with its 2-door configuration and rear-wheel drive. Add in a 3.6L V8 from the 360 Modena and this wagon means serious business.

Built by madman Mike Warn (you’ve always got a job at our “institution”), the Ferrambo won Autorama’s 2008 Ridler Award- an award given for impressive creativity and craftsmanship. With top notch engineering, an insanely beautiful interior, and all the proper bits and pieces, the Ferrambo certainly lives up to the award. Like all custom wagons, this devil is truly in the details. Warn and his team mounted the Modena-sourced V8 amidships with a custom roll-cage, ensuring superior handling and creating an ultra-rare mid-engined wagon. The Ferrambo sends 405 Italian stallions to the rear axle (also sourced from the donor 360) via a 6-speed manual with the classic Ferrari shift-gate. The Rambler’s rear windows even crack open 5 degrees to ensure the V8 doesn’t overheat. For superior grip and control, the Ferrambo’s wheels are wrapped in wide Pirelli P Zero rubber, and stopping power comes from the 360’s excellent rotors and calipers. True to its heart, the wagon was then painted in Ferrari Corsa Red and adorned with numerous authentic Ferrari emblems (although the final wagon sadly didn’t get the 360’s stock alloys).

The Ferrambo is ultimately one of those once-in-a decade projects that comes along and makes friends with everyone. In place of its original engine, this Rambler even comes with a hood-storage compartment that stores custom leather Ferrari luggage- just like a production Prancing Horse. Because of the exceptional attention to detail and craftsmanship, the Ferrambo was recently up for sale for a staggering $500,000. While we’re not sure who purchased this beast (and for how much), what’s certain is that there is a very happy wagon enthusiast enjoying this beautiful creation.

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/19/11 12:19 p.m.

my first thought was Why??... but nevermind

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/11 12:19 p.m.

wow.. that is all

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
8/19/11 12:25 p.m.

That car was in all the hot rod magazines some time back. It was built in 2007 and won the Ridler Award at the Detroit Autorama in 2008.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/11 12:37 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: That car was in all the hot rod magazines some time back. It was built in 2007 and won the Ridler Award at the Detroit Autorama in 2008.

As usual...I'm late to the party!

corytate
corytate Reader
8/19/11 12:49 p.m.

I like it ALOT in bare metal with the modena wheels
that interior is phenomenal though!

jlm_photo
jlm_photo Reader
8/19/11 1:58 p.m.

I think I'm in love...

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
8/19/11 2:14 p.m.

I saw that car in the flesh.... it's drop-dead gorgeous !

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
8/19/11 2:36 p.m.

Reminds me of the "Jerrrari" that Bill Harrah built when Enzo refused to built him a 4 WD factory Ferrari.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
8/19/11 2:46 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: Reminds me of the "Jerrrari" that Bill Harrah built

Except the rambler is stunningly georgeous and the Jeep is a hideous beast that doesn't flow together at all.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
8/19/11 2:55 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
aeronca65t wrote: Reminds me of the "Jerrrari" that Bill Harrah built
Except the rambler is stunningly georgeous and the Jeep is a hideous beast that doesn't flow together at all.

Amen brother! I saw that at the Harrah museum, but it had the Waggy front end. Looked like a Jeep with dual exhaust. That was sweet, that thing is TERRIBLE!

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
8/19/11 3:28 p.m.

There simply HAD to be alcohol involved in this somehow.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
8/19/11 4:33 p.m.

Awesome car that was built a few miles from my house!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3THLuvVHJhBJnFf7nAXERJQHK6xemuK4nJakxSclNthr5wMUkWwG0oTQqlxeyjEM