Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/30/13 7:16 a.m.

On a lark, I looked at Porsche prices this morning. Trying to decide if I could really afford one, given the fact that my debt is way down as a result of hard work. Credit card, loan, car, all paid off. House is my only bill & shared with SWMBO.

I used their locator to look at used, and found this one right up the street from my house I pass every day.

2000 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Coupé, $ 26,990

Displacement: 3.4 l Power Output: 300 HP Drivetrain: 4-WD Transmission: Manual Fuel: Gas Color: Arena Red Metallic

Vehicle Ident Number: WP0AA2993YS622803 Color (interior): --- Mileage: 57,773 m Model year: 2000 Price: $ 26,990

Search Results

Wonder if I could really afford a new one?

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
9/30/13 7:34 a.m.

For that kind of money, you can get a Cayman much newer.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/cto/4097669364.html

mw
mw Dork
9/30/13 7:52 a.m.

For a reference the 99c2 I just bought with slightly less mileage and clean history cost $10k less. You have to look, but they aren't that expensive. It's the one in the 'broke my new car in' thread you just commented on.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/30/13 7:55 a.m.

I heard the Coupe is less than the equivalent Coupé model.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/30/13 8:10 a.m.

Ok, so I need to research more than the 5 minutes this morning? Imagine that!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/30/13 8:34 a.m.

The 99 and 2000 coupes are in the 15-18k range around here now. I'm not sure what needs to be watched carefully on them at that price, but if you really want a 911, they are very attainable.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
9/30/13 8:57 a.m.

All of the 996's need to be very carefully inspected for rear main seal failures, Intermediate shaft bearing failure and D chunking of the cylinder walls.

If the RMS/IMS hasn't been done, budget $1500+ for the job, install the LN Engineering IMS fix, plus their remote oil filer/spin on oil filter kit.

Then pray. That motor is problematic....

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/13 9:33 a.m.

Go air-cooled or get a turbo...or both.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
9/30/13 9:36 a.m.
docwyte wrote: All of the 996's need to be very carefully inspected for rear main seal failures, Intermediate shaft bearing failure and D chunking of the cylinder walls. If the RMS/IMS hasn't been done, budget $1500+ for the job, install the LN Engineering IMS fix, plus their remote oil filer/spin on oil filter kit. Then pray. That motor is problematic....

This 100%

I found a 99 C2 with the GT3 kit on it for something like $18k, had Champion Motorsports wheels, H&R coilovers. Bank decided they didn't like the idea of me in a Porsche

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
9/30/13 3:08 p.m.

The same goes for Boxsters/Caymans of the same vintage. Porsche didn't change the motor until 2009.

You can get an early 996 dirt cheap, but realize it's a bit of a gamble. The 996 Turbo's and GT3's had a completely different motor and don't have any of these issues...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/30/13 3:15 p.m.
docwyte wrote: The same goes for Boxsters/Caymans of the same vintage. Porsche didn't change the motor until 2009.

So a 2009 Boxster/Cayman is fine or is it 2010 model year?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
9/30/13 9:22 p.m.

It looks like it's sitting on a dealers lot...............that's your first mistake. They probably gave some poor schlub 14K as a trade in so who knows what's could be wrong with it. Your second mistake.....it's sitting on a dealer's lot. Listen to the others in this thread. You can do far better than this.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/30/13 10:00 p.m.
docwyte wrote: All of the 996's need to be very carefully inspected for rear main seal failures, Intermediate shaft bearing failure and D chunking of the cylinder walls. If the RMS/IMS hasn't been done, budget $1500+ for the job, install the LN Engineering IMS fix, plus their remote oil filer/spin on oil filter kit. Then pray. That motor is problematic....

Some very sage advice. Basically, go aircooled, or go turbo. Otherwise buy someone else's mistake with receipts, or you might just land a huge mistake of your own...

Jerry
Jerry Dork
10/1/13 6:51 a.m.

I'll do some looking... although I kept seeing EVO's at a big car show Sunday.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/1/13 7:21 a.m.

Looks like it has one of the Aerokits, a pricey option when it was new. Not sure how much value it adds now. Do like that color!

t25torx
t25torx Reader
10/1/13 12:50 p.m.

Just buy that LS swapped 996 off of norotors.com and never worry about crank seals and expensive maintenance parts.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
10/1/13 5:39 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Looks like it has one of the Aerokits, a pricey option when it was new. Not sure how much value it adds now. Do like that color!

Aero kit in the right color done at the factory as part of the exclusive options is worth about 4K on the used market to the right buyer.

Non OEM is worth nothing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i0i1oMkDaCHOvx5v527ysV70EatJvTfXHBWOETwLKdjrgjNTCPQfwKARgg7SOOVk