Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
11/15/13 11:30 a.m.

Mazda's running in IMSA next year with Sky-D P2 cars!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
11/15/13 11:36 a.m.

That's awesome. Looking forward to seeing those!

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
11/15/13 11:50 a.m.

Very cool!! Excited.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
11/15/13 11:58 a.m.

Basically the GX class mazda6 was just for testing to prep the diesel for the LMP2 car due to the rule changes for next season.

and still we cannot purchase a mazda diesel in the states yet...

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
11/15/13 12:30 p.m.

Well, the GX running was not originally intended to be a test bed for this, but that's how it ended up.

Grand Am promised Mazda that GX would continue into 2014, but as we now know, that has not happened.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
11/15/13 1:10 p.m.

When will Mazda put that diesel into something we can buy here? Also, when will they put it into some practical but sporty thing based on the RX-8 or Miata platform?

kreb
kreb SuperDork
11/15/13 1:29 p.m.

That car looks great - especially without the extraneous graphics cluttering up the lines. I'm not ready to embrace a diesel sports car just yet. A Diesel CX or 6 OTOH sounds downright tasty!

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
11/15/13 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

I have an inside source on this subject, basically they never cared about GX class, this season was just preperation and testing for LMP2.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Reader
11/15/13 1:41 p.m.

Love it and I am excited, hope more manufacturers and different engines follow in the class.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
11/15/13 1:46 p.m.
BAMF wrote: When will Mazda put that diesel into something we can buy here? Also, when will they put it into some practical but sporty thing based on the RX-8 or Miata platform?

I know, right? Maybe you should add your voice to this http://www.change.org/petitions/mazda-usa-bring-the-mazda6-sky-d-wagon-to-the-us-with-a-manual change.org petition that is being watched by Mazda USA!

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
11/15/13 1:58 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: In reply to Maroon92: I have an inside source on this subject, basically they never cared about GX class, this season was just preperation and testing for LMP2.

They announced the GX car WAY before the merger was even hinted at.

If you say so...

stroker
stroker Dork
11/15/13 2:04 p.m.

Damn that dorsal fin ruins the looks of that car...

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
11/15/13 2:27 p.m.
stroker wrote: Damn that dorsal fin ruins the looks of that car...

Agreed. Not a fan of the dorsal fins these days.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
11/15/13 3:52 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

true, but a GX car would be a perfect place to undergo testing in guise for preperations of LMP2 car. End goal may not have changed from the start.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
11/15/13 4:05 p.m.

Isn't the diesel 6 sedan available now or very soon?

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
11/15/13 6:42 p.m.
BAMF wrote: When will Mazda put that diesel into something we can buy here? Also, when will they put it into some practical but sporty thing based on the RX-8 or Miata platform?

supposedly the Mazda 3 will be available with a diesel in '14

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
11/15/13 6:57 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
stroker wrote: Damn that dorsal fin ruins the looks of that car...

Agreed. Not a fan of the dorsal fins these days.

Dorsal fins are a better alternative than upside down race cars and injured/dead drivers.

On a related issue - WTF besides quirky GRMr's would even think there is a market for a diesel-powered, two-seater?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
11/15/13 7:09 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
dyintorace wrote:
stroker wrote: Damn that dorsal fin ruins the looks of that car...

Agreed. Not a fan of the dorsal fins these days.

Dorsal fins are a better alternative than upside down race cars and injured/dead drivers.

On a related issue - WTF besides quirky GRMr's would even think there is a market for a diesel-powered, two-seater?

Good point, but then again someone thought there was a market for that Nissan Murano cabrio, the Honda Crosstour, the Pontiac Aztek, Chevy SSR, etc. Eventually they've gotta E36 M3 one out for the enthusiasts, if even by accident!

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
11/15/13 11:29 p.m.

I didn't know they ever left prototypes...

1fnHmDJSwgcCG5Nfg1SgESbThhQq8KDq