1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/17/19 8:28 a.m.
Knurled. said:

I note that Mazda is one of only three companies that makes the slap-shift manumatic shift in the CORRECT direction for enthusiasts - forward is down, back is up.

That sounds terrible. I much prefer the setup of the DCT in my 135. 

The right paddle is upshift, the left paddle is downshift. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/17/19 10:33 a.m.

The biggest gripe I have against the Mazdaspeed 3 and 6, besides the rust, is that they were all manual-only.  Come on.  The same engine was available in a cute-ute with an automatic, why not the 6?  Turbos and torque converters are a no-brainer.

I note that Mazda is one of only three companies that makes the slap-shift manumatic shift in the CORRECT direction for enthusiasts - forward is down, back is up.

Well, now that i own an MS6, i more or less agree with you that it wouldn't be a bad car with a good auto. But, I dont think Mazda had one at the time that could take it. Even now, Mazda has an auto for the 2.5T but if you read driving impressions from car enthusiasts they say the shift programming takes all the fun out of the extra power so even that would need to be changed.

That sounds terrible. I much prefer the setup of the DCT in my 135. 

The right paddle is upshift, the left paddle is downshift. 

Hey look, another thing the Lancer Ralliart had that didn't save it from having a mundane power/weight ratio!  Let's do this Mazda! At least as an enthusiast you could reprogram the Ralliart to (awd) launch however you wanted it to. 5000rpm etc. A torque converter auto like you'd have in the Mazda wouldn't be as 'tunable'.

Also, having owned a different Mazda with the correct manumatic pattern, it feels right! I think it really starts to make sense when you downshift under hard braking but doesn't generate as strong of an opinion when you're just cruising.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CcQWLsGOB8A6AguCqLApcdDQTGduXApjhDAOxlb3s6aLbVHRNt4SbxGiAwKVXKoB