OzarkOwen
OzarkOwen New Reader
7/26/15 10:42 p.m.

I'm considering buying a RX8. I've had two RX7s. I know about adding oil, lousy gas milage, weak coils and plug wires, etc. But it's the closest thing to a 2+2 Miata(I've had 4 NAs and 2 NBs). I'm in my mid 60s and having a little more room in a daily driver appeals. I know to look for frequent oil change records and prefer a stock car. And I know about the updates of the 09s, but were there any others for 10 and 11? I'm tempted to buy the lowest miles manual trans one I can find. But I might do an occasional track day, so an R3 appeals. For example, reasonably near me are a 2011 Sport with 19K and a 2009 R3 with 50K, both about $17 asking price. I know there there is RX expertise here, so I'd appreciate your input.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/27/15 6:35 a.m.

I don't have direct rotary experience myself, but I'm in the same spot and have been debating the exact same thing.

09-11 R3s have super nice seats, 19in wheels, Bilstein dampers, traction control, some added amenities like fog lights, auto climate control, and spoiler/side skirts.

I honestly think the low mileage sport is the way to go unless you NEED the R3 seats.

I like the sport RX8s more looks wise. That said, I'm test driving a 2010 R3 with 60k on it for $16k later today just to see what I think of the seats before making a decision myself.

I think because of the unique "characteristics flaws" of the rotary, getting the lowest mile one you can find is probably smart.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
7/27/15 8:28 a.m.

any of the 09-11 rx8s will treat you well, they have all the fixes/updates that affected the S1 rx8s (04-08). The updates in 09 are also on the 10/11

sport v R3 really comes down to a few things, aside from a few grand in price.

do you fit in the R3 interior comfortably? the recaros are a bit tight for most people, also it is very hard to find an R3 without a sunroof. The leather is pretty poor on all the cars regardless of the year but the sport package (base model) comes with cloth which is nice.

I'm seeing R3s go for mid to high teens and the sport models are approaching low 10k FAST.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/15 10:07 a.m.

In reply to fidelity101:

R3s did not have sunroof available. The Sports and GTs did. I sold my R3 earlier this year for $15k @ just under 50k miles.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
7/27/15 10:45 a.m.

Do the newer ones still have engine issues? If so, I'd actually prefer a higher mileage one as it seems the case that any RX8 with over 100k kms on it has had the engine replaced.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/27/15 11:15 a.m.

I wonder if anyone drives for UBER with a RX8. It checks all the requirements lol

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/27/15 11:48 a.m.

I would buy a lower mile 09+ and get a PPI from a Mazda dealer where they check compression on the motor.

I don't think it matters too much about the R3 version mechanically, more whether you think the added options are worth the extra price.

I had a lower mile 05 and it treated me fine, but at this point it doesn't make sense to buy an 08 or under unless you get it for really cheap.

I wouldn't get one if you do a lot of stop and go driving. It's not particularly good at that.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
7/27/15 12:07 p.m.

If mostly a fair weather weekend cruiser a GT will treat you well as they have all the luxury options, if you want a good base for autocross/track then a sport is for you being the lightest and no DSC or traction control, if you want a out of the box autocros/track that you don't have to do much other then tires then go R3.

Aside from compression test and a budget of about $350 for the full ignition system check the taillights for water, don't let people tell you the S2's dont turn in to fishbowls as I'm currently fighting Mazda to replace my 3rd one btw they are $700ea to replace.

Love the hell out of my car and I'm sure you will too, just don't go in to it thinking it's an FC or FD and you will be fine.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
7/27/15 12:10 p.m.

And sit in the R3, seats are perfect for my lower body but pinch my shoulders tighter than they should.

EDIT:

The majority of S1 parts do work with S2's. I would say about 70-80% of them.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
7/27/15 12:12 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: Aside from compression test and a budget of about $350 for the full ignition system check the taillights for water, don't let people tell you the S2's dont turn in to fishbowls as I'm currently fighting Mazda to replace my 3rd one btw they are $700ea to replace.

The company I used to work for made those lamps, very high warranty rate for in field failures on the S1 and S2 RCLs.

HiTempguy wrote: Do the newer ones still have engine issues? If so, I'd actually prefer a higher mileage one as it seems the case that any RX8 with over 100k kms on it has had the engine replaced.

Nope! All good. More oiling better injection system, smarter computers etc etc

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
7/27/15 12:16 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101:

Any suggestions? It wouldn't be a major issue if I was not moving in a few months and some of the led's are burnt out.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/27/15 12:49 p.m.

Well I just drove the R3 myself and was underwhelmed. I need to drive a sport before I write the car off completely, the seats did not fit me well. At all. I'm 5'10" and 215lbs FWIW. It was more gutless down low than I remember when I drove an S1 years ago. It had no problems with hot starting, but I wonder if the engine is tired, or in need of plugs/wires/coils.

thewatcher101
thewatcher101 New Reader
7/28/15 3:15 p.m.

If you want to leave it stock the 09s and up are best, if you plan to modify it the S1 are a bit better. The rx8 was never had much torque and require you to stay at higher revs, the NC miata has better low end torque than the 8. The R3 are hard to find, and might be collectable soon enough, if Mazda never makes another rotary.

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
7/29/15 9:46 a.m.
flatlander937 wrote: Well I just drove the R3 myself and was underwhelmed. I need to drive a sport before I write the car off completely, the seats did not fit me well. At all. I'm 5'10" and 215lbs FWIW. It was more gutless down low than I remember when I drove an S1 years ago. It had no problems with hot starting, but I wonder if the engine is tired, or in need of plugs/wires/coils.

If it's on the original coils, that could be part of the slow feeling, but they don't make much power down low, you've got to rev them and even then, most V6 sedans, SUV's and such will be just as fast in a straight line. My wife's Rav4 has faster magazine test 0-60 times and I'm ok with that.

At 6'3" and ~260lbs, I fit in the R3 seats just fine, but I think it's more about shape than size, as I know many smaller people complain. After several hours I do feel it in my sides a bit where the bolsters pinch me a bit, but overall I like them, especially for track use.

I do know there were some minor changes even after 2009, with things like parts in the transmission being changed, but that's pretty minor stuff. There's a thread on the RX8club forum that lists all the changes to the 2009+ cars that have been found by looking at parts updates, beyond the obvious stuff already said.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6rLVsEcptKzm5Ih4OmftGCviOD5VFx1xvB3wF2g1X23t8Q7CH2Demw6t7oK5yQZk