alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/26/16 2:03 p.m.

http://trafficnews.jp/post/56392/

Yea, it's in Japanese- so use chrome so that google can translate.

The idea that Mazda plans on supporting their old cars for a long time is good news.

From a GRM standpoint, I think it means a very long flight for one of them to see it in person. As it appears that this is only in Japan at the moment.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
8/26/16 2:52 p.m.

Translation was not good enough to tell if they were going to open a restoration "assembly line" like Datsun did with the 240Z or if it was just a commitment to supply obsolete components.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/26/16 3:08 p.m.

I couldn't tell, either.

But an oem making parts for a 27 year old car is a good thing. Seems like.

That I got.

car39
car39 HalfDork
8/26/16 5:11 p.m.

The translation makes it all worth while. I'm still laughing!

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/26/16 5:39 p.m.

Somebody pulled up to our shop in an early 90s Miata that had been through a full restoration in a black/white paint scheme w/ Panasports. It was flat gorgeous. It occurred to me that while they are practically ubiquitous, they are also almost always riced, roached or just worn. Kudos to Mazda for supporting a guaranteed classic.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
8/26/16 6:07 p.m.

I wish I could get parts for my 626s.

May have to buy a Miata like I keep threatening to do, if there are going to be OEM parts available.

parker
parker Reader
8/26/16 6:53 p.m.

I know miatas are popular, but 43 million 1st gens were produced?!?! Now that's impressive

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
8/26/16 9:20 p.m.
Kreb wrote: Somebody pulled up to our shop in an early 90s Miata that had been through a full restoration in a black/white paint scheme w/ Panasports. It was flat gorgeous. It occurred to me that while they are practically ubiquitous, they are also almost always riced, roached or just worn. Kudos to Mazda for supporting a guaranteed classic.

Same with S2000s. Practically impossible to find a clean one that hasn't been wrecked, riced, stanced, or beaten to complete poop. I found a one owner in great condition that had normal wear and tear and jumped on it as I see them going up in value in a few years.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
8/26/16 11:57 p.m.

Yeah, ok, but when will they do a run of 323 GTX transmissions?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/27/16 12:09 a.m.

I'm hoping for a run of FD evaporator cores...

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
8/27/16 8:14 a.m.
Rufledt wrote: Yeah, ok, but when will they do a run of 323 GTX transmissions?

Word.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/27/16 8:36 a.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

Don't forget center differentials.

And Mazda is bringing back the NLA miata parts, not doing a "production run" of restorations. Though expect them to do a handful of them to showcase the program.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
8/27/16 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

Didn't they fire up the foundries to re-make downpipes at one point, or was that a different Mazda?

The0retical
The0retical Dork
8/27/16 12:51 p.m.

So are they utilizing old tooling to produce these parts or do they have some type of rapid prototyping setup and are making small batches of NLA parts? Because the latter of the two would be a pretty massive step forward in supporting older orphan vehicles.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/16 1:03 p.m.
The0retical wrote: So are they utilizing old tooling to produce these parts or do they have some type of rapid prototyping setup and are making small batches of NLA parts? Because the latter of the two would be a pretty massive step forward in supporting older orphan vehicles.

when rapid prototyping begins for stuff like this, it Will be amazing

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
8/27/16 3:51 p.m.

The Miata is truly the answer to life the universe and everything. I wonder what would happen if you slapped a number 42 on the side of it? I don't think These Guys could tell you the answer to that. However they show you that even the Miata is perfect for trips to the Drive In.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hCGCls4oUAqSBcdcrhlZSRvWSDgU1AvGpkHC2kYV7JWSC3O9LbowXk0wgEvKIVPp