1 2 3 4 ... 10
mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/17/17 11:38 a.m.

Brock builds the schedule so there is always enough time to make the transits at legal speeds. We'll make it. It'll be fine. The hitch is, we're all supposed to be there for the driver's meeting in the morning and if you want to walk the track, and you do (more about this later) then you need to be there earlier. We all pack up and leave right after we come off track for our last session, but the fast guys run first, come off track first, leave first, and have at least an extra hour of sleep/drive time before the next day. That means us slow guys (just talking sleepyhead and I) need to be super efficient in everything we do to make sure we can transit safely. That's a big reason I tell everyone to just go have fun the first year. There is a LOT going on and it's safer and easier and more fun to worry about the rest of the event than stressing about gaining a couple of seconds on course.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/17/17 1:24 p.m.
klodkrawler05 wrote: My friends participated for their first time in an evo in 2015 and then again in 2016 (they've been chipping their way up the podium each year) and as a long time lurker on here it was fun to get multiple perspectives each year. Sleepy you already touched on it a bit but any other gotcha's throughout the week? We presently have no clue how we'll tackle Dominion to Gingerman yet. We are counting on our saving grace being the countless hours of seat time we both have at Gingerman so at least we don't have the mental task of learning a new track on top of no sleep. Since Dominion has a 3rd TT instead of the usual 2, I assume that means we're getting on the road even later than normal.

"chipping their way up the podium"

LOL. Yes, I'm sure Smedegard will have had a slightly different experience than Mazdeuce and I. But, then again, one of the unique aspects of OneLap is you can define you own challenge, and the road miles are hard on everyone.

First thing is to make sure you're organized at the wet skid pad for a fast pack, and jetting out to the autocross. Those of us with high seeding numbers will be crunched for time getting out to the autocross early enough to walk it ahead of time.

My spreadsheet has arrival into Memphis around 2am for someone leaving at 16:30 and averaging 60mph over the road. I haven't looked at routing yet, so I haven't checked for possible traffic choke points to be cautious of on any of the transits. (which is one thing seriously lacking in Waze/G.maps route planning).

Dominion - Gingerman will depend a little on where you seed.

I imagine the back half of the field will be doing a rain dance, which has happened a bunch.

The same spreadsheet has an expected arrival of 03:45, based on a 16:00 departure, 60mph average (i.e. no traffic). Either way, though, 700miles is a long way to drive... especially after having been through a week of long drives.

A couple strategies for your case for Gingerman... depending on how you plan to split of duties. If you're each having a go at each track, then I suggest you make sure the afternoon driver also runs the Oval (which will be kind of required based on timing, I'll guess). The other person needs to get a nap sometime after lunch and before you leave. Then have that driver do the first stint of the transit, get clear-ish of DC... maybe shoot for Frederick, MD for your dinner stop. Gas, Eat, and then that driver must sleep. Then, for the rest of the night you've got to be disciplined about being awake when it's your turn to drive, and asleep in your off shift. Also, if you feel too tired, pull off and switch.

I know this one is going to sound weird, but google "box breathing", or "combat breathing". By consciously controlling your breathing, you can actually increase the amount of oxygen in your system, which will make you more awake.

Finally, considering your experience at Gingerman (and that's something you need to be honest about between yourselves... can you drive that track cold, half asleep? And depending on where you seed), is to sleep in a bit. Yes, there are benefits to being there early. But sometimes, taking a strategic lie-in, at a track you already know, is the smart play to make.

And, that is just the beginning...

chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/17/17 1:29 p.m.

You could stop in Madison Heights MI and have me drive you the last few hours to Gingerman while you nap. I'd have to catch a bus home.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 New Reader
1/17/17 3:22 p.m.

Oh man! I'm getting excited! seriously appreciate all the help you guys are offering up!

Matt and I are aiming for the best performance we can muster but prioritizing completing the event with car in one piece so it won't be a 10/10th assault on any track, we know we aren't bringing home trophies in a nearly stock e46 compared to the hardware/drivers we're up against.

Gingerman is approx 1.5 hours from my house and I'd consider it my "home track" I've got about 20 hours worth of seat time on that track and Matt has around 5-6. Out of any track in the event it's certainly the one we're most comfortable with. (side bar on that, I'm more than happy to offer any advice I can on the track and should have some video of that track I can add)

We're planning to split track and transit duties as equally as we can. At present we plan to have 1 driver complete all events at each track, He'll take Sebring I'll take Dominion etc. We both have driven several of the courses although mostly not the same ones so we'll be splitting them in an order that mostly puts us on familiar ground although we haven't driven at all courses (splitting this way gives us less new tracks to memorize)

Box breathing is a good one I'll certainly look into that stategy, I tend to be a morning person and Matt leans a bit more towards late nights. That should hopefully work if we can plan things out correctly to where he gets us into the night while I catch a few winks and then drive the "morning" shift while he sleeps.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
1/17/17 3:23 p.m.

Be careful at Dominion road course. If you go off track you only have a couple feet before cement barrier or going down a steep embankment and either rolling the car or going into the woods.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
1/17/17 3:58 p.m.

Box breathing, is that like 4x4 breathing? (in for 4, pause 4, out 4, pause 4).

I'd google it, but waiting for next round to queue up in Mechwarrior.

-Hans

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/17/17 4:08 p.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05:

That's how the fast cars usualy do it, one guy per track with the addendum that they're responsible for driving those tracks before the event. We're going to do it the tourist way with each of us having a session and then we'll split autocross and oval and what not. The exception is for tracks that seem excessively sketchy. In my two previous events the car owner gets the joy of wet sketchy tracks while the other guy watches and thanks for he doesn't have to do that.
We'll be careful about Dominion. We're more likely to drive slow than fast on a track we're not comfortable on.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/17/17 4:59 p.m.

Brock used to have one leg of 1000 miles. When I ran in '07 it was from Mid America to Miller. Luckily Mid America got flooded out so they only ran 1 morning session.

Even with that we still didn't arrive to Miller until after midnight and that was with us blatantly breaking the speed limit all the way across Wyoming.

I'm not a fan of those types of transit stages. It can create a bunch of safety issues when sleepy, sleep deprived racers have to hit the track, then drive another 500 miles to the next destination.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/17/17 5:10 p.m.

I forgot y'all were stopping at Grissom this year. Is that on the way back or way out? I'll be there I'm sure.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/17/17 5:27 p.m.

Grissom is on the second day. We'll be well rested and probably won't even hate our co-drivers yet.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
1/17/17 5:42 p.m.
sleepyhead wrote: Dominion - Gingerman will depend a little on where you seed. Then have that driver do the first stint of the transit, get clear-ish of DC... maybe shoot for Frederick, MD for your dinner stop.

Don't know if you are restricted in your choice of transit routes, but if there is any chance of avoiding the DC I-95/270 during rush (4pm-8pm) I would do so. I would use US 17/50 to Winchester, VA then I-81 to Hagerstown, MD.

I live in Frederick, MD and use US 17/15 when coming up from visiting relatives south of Dominion. I can usually save 30 min-1 hour if it is around rush hour.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/18/17 2:50 p.m.
Hal wrote:
sleepyhead wrote: Dominion - Gingerman will depend a little on where you seed. Then have that driver do the first stint of the transit, get clear-ish of DC... maybe shoot for Frederick, MD for your dinner stop.
Don't know if you are restricted in your choice of transit routes, but if there is any chance of avoiding the DC I-95/270 during rush (4pm-8pm) I would do so. I would use US 17/50 to Winchester, VA then I-81 to Hagerstown, MD. I live in Frederick, MD and use US 17/15 when coming up from visiting relatives south of Dominion. I can usually save 30 min-1 hour if it is around rush hour.

transit route is unrestricted, unless a 'control checkpoint' is added... but I'd consider that unlikely on this transit.

I agree on 17/15. I live out near Dulles Airport, so I might actually try and run some transit recons this spring. Also have a friend that commutes Warrenton to Leesburg, so I might get some details out of them too.

Any recommendations on good food that's fast and near a gas station that's on the way in Frederick?

Hal
Hal UltraDork
1/18/17 8:27 p.m.
sleepyhead wrote: Any recommendations on good food that's fast and near a gas station that's on the way in Frederick?

If you are coming up I-270 get off at the first Frederick exit (Rt 85). That will put you right at the FSK Mall where you will find Olive Garden, Red Robin, Bob Evans, B J's Restaurant and some others. There is a Shell station on one side of the entrance and a Sheetz on the other. You can exit the mall and hop right back on I-270 and a mile up the road exit on to I-70.

If you go past the mall on 85 you will find all of the fast food franchises, Longhorn Steakhouse, Ruby Tuesday and several other gas stations before you reach the I-70 exit.

If you want a "good" restaurant you will have to go downtown where you can find any type of cuisine you might want. Including some restaurants owned by celebrity chefs.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/18/17 8:31 p.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05:

Did you get the message with the contact info?

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 New Reader
1/19/17 7:17 a.m.

Sure did! I actually just emailed you back this morning before hopping onto the forum :)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/19/17 7:29 a.m.

Excellent, we're going to have fun this year, I can tell.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
1/19/17 3:09 p.m.
chaparral wrote: You could stop in Madison Heights MI and have me drive you the last few hours to Gingerman while you nap. I'd have to catch a bus home.

I can get you back to Madison Heights if you'd like. Or at least get you back to Ann Arbor.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/19/17 3:43 p.m.

gt2king, check your spam folder. I'm getting your messages and responding but I don't think they're getting all the way to you.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/19/17 3:51 p.m.

Ooh, yes, One Lap is scheduled to stop here at GRM World HQ--it will be so good to meet you!

Margie

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/19/17 4:03 p.m.

I have a present for you guys.
I'm going to put together something for the GRM readers and staff that I meet along the way. I want to thank you guys and gals for following along.

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded Reader
1/19/17 5:27 p.m.

Ayyyy Birmingham is on there.

When does all this take place?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/19/17 5:33 p.m.

May 5-13 the whole schedule is here.

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded Reader
1/20/17 6:24 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

It's a damn shame y'all don't come to Barber; it's a phenomenal track.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/20/17 8:46 a.m.

Im willing to drive down to Carolina motorsports park and be pit bitch. Its only an hour or so from my house.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
1/20/17 10:37 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Im willing to drive down to Carolina motorsports park and be pit bitch. Its only an hour or so from my house.

I'll make this same offer for Dominion - it's less than an hour from me. I'm happy to help any of y'all get packed and on the road quickly after afternoon time trials.

1 2 3 4 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dIYzZLID5iilaM2lS3myw9pVQ1xuhWjKsDz1BmoHCLZwkORjdiwu3PsxO6tCthd8