1 2 3 4 ... 20
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/25/18 7:53 a.m.

It was only doing it when I did rapid right left transitions after braking. It didn't do it in long sweepers at all. It was almost like it was the rapid back and forth weight transfer along with cornering rather than cornering itself. Maybe it wasn't fuel at all?

Didn't happen with a full tank but happened in sessions that ended just below 1/2 and somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3. I could manage it by doing half throttle for a solid one count and then rolling on instead of all the throttle on exit. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/25/18 8:47 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

You know, the 2001-03 TL/CL had the DBW sensor in the engine bay and was operated off the throttle by a cable..... ;)

mazdeuce - Seth
9/25/18 11:28 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Honestly, there are a lot of options and that's what makes this car fun long term. For now, the car has a terminal velocity somewhere around 120 on the big tracks, and that's about the edge of where I'm comfortable in a car with three point belts at this point in my life. The car will get faster, but it will get safer first. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/25/18 2:13 p.m.

so, there's a discussion about brake cooling, and ducting... and thinking about how to direct it.

maybe not everyone here read through my thread from my own OneLap this year with Bob and John, or maybe they missed this section, yadda yadda yadda.

Here's a shot of what Honda did to facilitate cooling of the front brakes on the similar platform TL:

my understanding of this is that the plastic piece in the green and blue circles are doing two things.  The Blue circle part is blocking high-drag air from the front wheels (you'll see a similar part on most BMW's), and shaped to encourage a vortex to shoot out around the tire.  The green part, I believe, is helping to direct a vortex coming off the front "valence" into the wheel well... and towards

The brake backing (red arrow) which is kinked in-board to catch that air and direct it towards the center of the rotor.

considering the commonality of the Accord/TL... I wonder if the Accord's front brake backing plate has a similar scoop?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/25/18 2:57 p.m.

Just add a large fuel filter and a secondary pump as a surge tank.

It works VERY well AND adds secondary protection on the fuel side.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/25/18 3:08 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

You put those in line after the tank? 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/25/18 3:09 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

I have the blue piece, but nothing else. I'll throw it on the lift tomorrow and take some pictures. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/25/18 3:22 p.m.

I would be surprised if you do. I *think* only the manual Brembo TL's got that nifty little feature. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/25/18 8:47 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

You put those in line after the tank? 

I'll link the write up tomorrow...

sleepyhead
9/26/18 10:46 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I have some ideas for the suspension of needed. Mostly it involves packing lighter. laugh Ordering stiffer springs is just a call to speedway away. Last weekend I carried all four steel wheels in the trunk along with a chair, scooter, and a non-pared down tool kit and things were good. If I can add two full size humans to that we'll be golden. I do predict that you'll want back into the luxury class after this year. 

The car NEEDS shocks and brake cooling. High on the optional list is a functional radio and some sort of seat heater (even if just a plug in one) for those of us on the team who are old. 

I'm pretty sure we packed the TL lighter than the civic last year...

still was some good compression on the transit, compared with it empty

edit: but I'll be happy to try and use this as an excuse to by new camera gear cheeky

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
9/26/18 11:00 a.m.

Subscribed!

Also, see you in South Bend! 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/26/18 11:55 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

I think they took that photo mid-bump.  Yeah.... that was it. 

mazdeuce - Seth
9/26/18 1:08 p.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

Looking forward to it. You need to teach Brian the ways of fast cars. He's going to have fun this year. laugh

I'm going to try and keep most of the technical doing stuff part of the car in the Traccord thread. I'll still ask questions here, but there will be a lot more sawing and bolts and stuff over there. I will say that the car is maybe a little low right now. How low is too low for a street car anyway? 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
9/26/18 1:45 p.m.

I'm not sure how much we can teach, it's mostly been slow continuous improvements. I will say we're finding the faster the car gets, the harder it is to make it keep that pace for 3+ laps which OLOA requires.

We're almost ready to start OLOA preparations as well. Some of which will make the car less fast, but at least we'll survive the week.

apexanimal
apexanimal New Reader
9/26/18 8:06 p.m.

much excite to see others prepping for next year!

onrails
onrails New Reader
9/28/18 2:01 p.m.
apexanimal said:

much excite to see others prepping for next year!

We're one of the early two entered (more now) teams getting prepped for next year.  Been poring over your previous years One Lap's Seth, thanks for the great documentation.  Brock made an 'official' announcement yesterday confirming the May 4-11 dates and when I talked to him during registration it sounds like it'll be an east coast trip for 2019.  I've wanted to do this for years and am finally getting off my butt and going for it.  Looking forward to meeting you in South Bend!  

mazdeuce - Seth
9/28/18 3:42 p.m.

In reply to onrails :

We're going to register this weekend and join you on the list. It's a great time and I'm glad the rumors about an East coast route look true. There are so many possibilities for neat tracks to drive, and maybe Brock will go easier on us mileage wise than last year. See you in South Bend, we're going to have fun. 

sleepyhead
9/29/18 1:18 a.m.

well, we were at Sebring a couple years ago... if it's East Coast, I reckon we've got a shot at Daytona.  I wonder about VIR too.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/29/18 8:30 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

I will admit right now that there are certain tracks that I'll 100% pull rank for with three of us in the car. Daytona is one of them. laugh

sleepyhead
9/29/18 9:03 a.m.

I have no problem with you taking both session of a theoretical OneLap stop at Daytona... especially in the traccord.  I've driven that track with a Fit, I probably don't have much of a reason to drive it again until the TL's making wink350hp 

apexanimal
apexanimal New Reader
9/29/18 5:41 p.m.

I've got to raise some more funds before I can get on the list now that they upped it to 500, but as soon as i do we'll be on it.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/3/18 7:38 p.m.

The car got faster when I added yellow springs, so it only makes sense that yellow shocks will make it faster still. 

onrails
onrails New Reader
10/5/18 7:31 a.m.

The route is up!

Image may contain: car and text

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/5/18 9:20 a.m.

Nelsons Ledges!  Wow, smell ya later, watch out for those "toilets"!

Hastings is a fun track.  No elevation at all and if the alfalfa isn't cut back the sight lines are impaired.  If it's wet, it's slicker than snot!  On street tires, I couldn't hook up my LSx 951 on that track at any more than an idle tip in on throttle in the wet.

onrails
onrails New Reader
10/5/18 9:40 a.m.

Wet I can deal with... Brainerd in early May could be covered in snow!  My sister lives about an hour northeast of there and sent me a pic this morning of snow on the ground already.  Looks like a fun schedule, especially with Road America and Brainerd on the list.

1 2 3 4 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PEe3MxQNFnxpfy49ENuxUPP99or8EIXVgOFkAgTSBuUiVtBAbVoBsLMpvvyUlpRD