1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/10/12 2:57 p.m.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/PARIS-MOTOR-SHOW-2012/photos/the-mclaren-p1-revealed-full-details-2012-09-27

No specs yet but it will have KERS and a better power-to-weight ratio than the McLaren F1 or a Veyron, production will be limited to 500 units.

Looks pretty good even if it has a giant serial killer grin like some kind of deranged Mazda2.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/10/12 3:13 p.m.

It is kool in a star-wars kind of way, but I don't see the design elegance of the original car. There was a lot LESS going on with the original F1 that equated to a better result.

But that might just be me.

Will this one hold up to a BRZ attack?

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
10/10/12 3:13 p.m.

I like the grin.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/10/12 3:29 p.m.

Meh.. . Really not all that impressed. Now if they would build something that was say 2500lbs with 250 hp for under 30K then I would stand up and take notice. This is just another super car with stats that are really meaningless to virtually everyone but the select few that actually have the talent to drive a car like that to its full potential.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
10/10/12 3:32 p.m.

Remember that this won't be a Gordan Murray creation, and he was the driving the force behind the functionality of the F1.

He also was working on the superlight cheap fun eco sportster.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
10/10/12 3:34 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Meh.. . Really not all that impressed. Now if they would build something that was say 2500lbs with 250 hp for under 30K then I would stand up and take notice. This is just another super car with stats that are really meaningless to virtually everyone but the select few that actually have the talent to drive a car like that to its full potential.

Well DUH! That's what it means to be a Supercar.

McClaren isn't in the popular price range and likely never will be, but I like what you like too. Now who's going to build it?

This iteration of the McClaren reminds me of the organic look of the Furio(?) Mazda, just not as much over the top.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
10/10/12 3:43 p.m.

I like it. The blacked out "void" areas on the side give it a very lithe exoskeletal look.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
10/10/12 3:45 p.m.

So sad. All this technology, research, racing pedigree, beautiful design invested into this beautiful car, just so these people will get one:

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/10/12 4:14 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: It is kool in a star-wars kind of way, but I don't see the design elegance of the original car. There was a lot LESS going on with the original F1 that equated to a better result. But that might just be me. Will this one hold up to a BRZ attack?

They have a much better understanding of aerodynamics now then they did 15+ years ago.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/10/12 4:17 p.m.

I'm enjoying coming to the realization that my homebuilt ancient BMW really, truly, actually is more fun than an unattainable supercar the majority of the time.

Would I like to hit the lottery and be able to snag one for track days and general enjoying of the high life? Sure, of course.

But the lack of longing is nice.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
10/10/12 4:44 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: So sad. All this technology, research, racing pedigree, beautiful design invested into this beautiful car, just so these people will get one:

Is that so different from time's past? For someone with good financial acumen, what kind of income can justify a $500k+ supercar? $1M/year? $2M?

Edit: I read the article, and it's listed as a "hypercar." That's more in Sheik budget territory, competing for dollars with the Koenisegg and Pagani.

Will
Will Dork
10/10/12 5:50 p.m.

Front end looks like

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone New Reader
10/10/12 8:15 p.m.

I do like the headlights. I definitely like the styling of the F1 more, but I'm open to this design. To be honest, I'd probably be too afraid to drive it anywhere, even on track, and that's the real shame.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/10/12 8:32 p.m.

^Nah, the kind of budget that can afford that kind of car isn't afraid to drive it on track.

I could technically afford to buy a new EVO X, mod it to 400hp and be reliable, but I couldn't afford to wad it up at the track.

All in your risk level.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
10/10/12 8:59 p.m.

I really need to see this in person at some point. It looks extremely compact in the photos which I like. The pulled in rear of the passenger compartment is very very cool.

The scope on the roof and the wind I would toss. I wish designers could get to the point where this sort of stuff is not needed on the street version.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone New Reader
10/10/12 9:14 p.m.

Does anyone know if the driver's seat is in the center like the F1?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/11/12 6:46 a.m.
Will wrote: Front end looks like

Ohhh yes now I think we are on to somthing but I was thinking this.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/11/12 7:48 a.m.

The original F1 was pretty expensive, and I never saw it as a status symbol. People who had them tended to be true car people, they did not show up on Rodeo drive. The F1 was also the fastest and most awesome car in the world for many years until the Veyron arrived. This one will have to be impressive to unseat the Bug. Without Murray, I hope they stick to lightweight and driver-focused.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
10/11/12 7:50 a.m.

When this was posted yesterday my initial reaction was blah, nothing special. But this morning I followed the link and it's growing on me. While very styled, it does have a sports prototype look about it which helps justify it's hyper car status in my mind. Lot's of conjecture on the specs in the article, but it's going to be a monster. With KERS providing up to 100hp, I wonder if it can be driven as pure electric around town. That would be something to brag about.

Adrian_Thompson
10/11/12 7:51 a.m.
Double_Wishbone wrote: Does anyone know if the driver's seat is in the center like the F1?

Nope, it uses the MP4-12C's basic tub and wheelbase although it's longer.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/11/12 8:17 a.m.

It can drive on KERS, only question is how long. More range means a bigger battery which means more weight and less room for ICE-related stuff, although the Porsche 918 has a pretty decent electric range.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
10/11/12 8:24 a.m.

"simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Silly cars are silly

Adrian_Thompson
10/11/12 8:29 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -*Leonardo Da Vinci* Silly cars are silly

YEah, and that new fangled fuel injection is going to kill the car culture as it's gonna stop ya tuning your own car bubba

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/11/12 8:30 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -*Leonardo Da Vinci*

That is boring. Over the top is always more fun.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/11/12 8:32 a.m.

Is it just me or does it remind anyone else of the old Daytona Prototypes with the big bubble top?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pHyheSCA8RSX5kgQcXDK70Uw5xca1kEJy06aV6XvFLQJkUfA1kePEGIjQpqqejVY