1 2 3
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
4/17/15 4:37 p.m.

New for me....

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4977706636.html

• and because this link will go dead.... $670.00
Craigslist advert said: Selling my rare clean condition 87 Toyota FX-16 Corolla with the 1.6L 4AGE twincam 16V bluetop with all disc brakes not drums(rare). Toyota's lightest and peppy FWD chassis with a twincam 16 compare to the heavy AE92 Corolla with the same motor. It has been our commuter car for 11yrs and still the exterior/interior condition is by far 8.8/10. It has recent DEQ tags, always changed oil every 3000 miles, drove to Seatlle/OSU no prob, and never into any accident(Clean title). Reason selling is because the head gasket just went bad, but I don't have time. The head gasket was replaced 10yrs ago by me when I was a Toyota employee. Car never overheated/steamed except loss of coolant over time. It is still drive able but very smoky, but starting contamination in the oil. CAR WILL NEED TOW AND WE CAN TOW IT AROUND PORTLAND The car went thru a lot of recent maintenance: No oil/coolant leaks All oil seals including rear main seal replaced with OEM Toyota seals New Aisin Toyota water pump with seals Transmission out shaft seals/ new fluid GL-4 only Clutch is only 2 yrs old Exedy/machine flywheel New clutch/Slave clutch New Toyota timing belt/tensioner New oil cooler lines Rebuild distributor with new oil seals New muffler/pipe The only thing needed is a head gasket
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/17/15 5:23 p.m.

Cool.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
4/17/15 5:27 p.m.

Lucky you, Did they deliver it also !?

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/17/15 5:46 p.m.

Wow there's a lot of 80s awesome there!

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
4/17/15 6:28 p.m.

jealous

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
4/17/15 6:40 p.m.
scottdownsouth wrote: Lucky you, Did they deliver it also !?

going across the river(into Wash) to get the headgasket serviced so... no towing, a friend is picking her up tomorrow....

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/17/15 6:55 p.m.

There's a guy on here that does amazing work to those 4AGE heads while you have it off

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
4/17/15 6:59 p.m.

In reply to drummerfromdefleopard:

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/17/15 7:00 p.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

trucke
trucke HalfDork
4/17/15 7:28 p.m.

Me like Skippy!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/15 8:41 p.m.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/17/15 9:05 p.m.

Wow, that looks really clean. Cool find!

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
4/18/15 1:06 a.m.

Nice find!

emsalex
emsalex New Reader
4/18/15 1:19 a.m.

Shut the front door.

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
4/18/15 2:52 a.m.

Thats awesome! I thought only the GTS came with the 4AG and not the regular FX...

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/18/15 2:27 p.m.

Nice! The lightest platform with a 4A-G we got stateside!

The FX came with a singlecam 4A-C, and the FX-16 denoted a 16 valve 4A-GE. Unlike the rear drive AE86 coupe and later front drive AE92 coupe where GT-S meant twincam EFI/vented discs/sport suspension, the AE82 GT-S denoted an appearance/comfort package with sunroof, spoilers, multi-adjust sports seats, racy red trim, etc.

ae86andkp61
4/18/15 2:29 p.m.

Oh yeah, I can also confirm that these rotate fairly well if provoked.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
4/18/15 6:55 p.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: Oh yeah, I can also confirm that these rotate fairly well if provoked.

yeah there is an old video where the FX is hounding an AE86..... (or was it the other way round....?)

ae86andkp61
4/18/15 9:19 p.m.

I forget which car was leading the battle, but it is a touring car race with ETCC champ Chris Hodgetts in the AE86, and Tiff Needell in the AE82!

I was thinking more about a certain excursion sideways (mid-spin) off the road and into a field during my college years! There might have been an overly ambitious corner entry speed paired with ambitious trail braking!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
5/10/15 6:50 p.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: I was thinking more about a certain excursion sideways (mid-spin) off the road and into a field during my college years! There might have been an overly ambitious corner entry speed paired with ambitious trail braking!

Or just plain old youth......

OST said: needs a head gasket -

Oh well.... Skippy needs a bit more than a headgasket.....

Cylinder #3 ingested something.....

This is a 3 rib block, so it likely has 40/18 internals....

As to WHAT she ingested???? If I want to dig it out I might be able to figure out what....

This head is pretty much junk... at least from Skippy's P.O.V.

A friend will be pulling the rest of the engine and dismantling it over the next few days. I suspect that flaw seen between 12 and 1 in the piston view MAY be a broken piston... but I'm unsure until she comes further apart.

If the piston is broken... (and maybe even if it isn't) I have a set of 10.3 to one pistons already fitted to a set of 40/18 rods that have had the small end opened to accommodate the high comp piston. With the block coming out, I can deck the block and set the deck to zero... Speaking about a zero deck, this one isn't... the piston is a few ten thousandths below deck... exactly how much, my caliper was crapping out on me so I didn't get a reliable measurement.

So Skippy gets a new lump

This will be my daily... so my goal is to build a 40mpg FX...

How to do it??? Raise compression to about 10.5 to 10.8 to 1, perfect combustion chambers, a mild porting, and then use stock, or at best an extremely mild cam.

More to come.......

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
5/26/15 10:07 a.m.

So Skippy's mill has been pulled....

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
5/26/15 10:15 a.m.

Skippy is awesome. Years ago I had a 1st gen MR2 (AW11, even though no one called them that back then). I made a mental note of all the other cool little 4A-GE powered cars that Toyota made and of all of them it seems like the FX-16 was the rarest (I also thought you had to get the GTS package to get that engine). Good find and I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/26/15 10:26 a.m.

Good times, sorry to see she needs so much work, but seems like a good one to save.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/15 10:35 a.m.

this thread give me all the tingles. I love that you got a FX16, I don't know if there's a more fitting vehicle for a person out there.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/26/15 10:52 a.m.

Yippee Skippy!

How's the bore on #3?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IKoXg6Y8Q3Bt3aeg4qP9YymoQcBwAqcQ9V57J0Kz6PD4J2vS6PswVn2PYGGW3cG6