The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
5/24/18 10:19 a.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

story by liz miles • photos by scott r. lear unless otherwise credited

Most of us live according to a balance of fun and responsibility. One side accounts for excitement and pleasure while the other picks …

Read the rest of the story

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/24/18 10:21 a.m.

I remember when this was first in the magazine.  What is the wheelbase on this with the full Corvette Transaxle?

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
5/24/18 3:18 p.m.

Figuring those tires are probably around 25" diameter, quite a bit.

Every time I see a mid-engine car I wonder immediately, "What's it using for a transmission?" As it shows, it's perfectly doable and reasonably priced, but creates a very long drivetrain assembly.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
5/24/18 3:33 p.m.

OK   i'm not the First,  and mine is a C4 and a big block and the engine is sitting BACKWARDS and a Super T10 tranny.  but it looks kinda like a Corvette, sorta. I parked the project for a couple month's to ready the Fiero for the Challenge, but soon. 

TiggerWelder
TiggerWelder Reader
5/29/18 2:26 p.m.

I would think that you could remove the torque tube out, joining the engine to the transmission as the transmission already bolts to the diff.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/29/18 3:01 p.m.
TiggerWelder said:

I would think that you could remove the torque tube out, joining the engine to the transmission as the transmission already bolts to the diff.

They do.  The issue is that unlike most transaxle where the gearset is behind the diff, such that the diff is closest to the engine.  The Corvette tranaxle the diff is behind the gearset making it a very long package for a mid engined car.

Regular transaxle

Image result for porsche transaxle

Corvette transaxle

Image result for corvette transaxle

te72
te72 Reader
5/29/18 8:48 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

Whoa! Well that explains why you don't see too many T56's used in tranaxle applications, and why the Porsche G50 is a lot more popular...

I had considered finding a wrecked C5 or C6, ditching the torque tube, and stuffing it all in the rear seat area of my 46 Chevy Fleetmaster coupe. Seems like a fun idea, but I doubt it will ever make it past the idea point unless I win the lottery and can devote the time to it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A9eRv7WrlvPX7p9TB0Qo59jyfYmBcTF42OCA7ytZCf7zW75d2p6nGqcPO5JwX76c