Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
7/25/16 9:58 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/gX8AaQcuCJY

It shoots a grappling hook and can tackle most any terrain. Toyo Tires calls this thing "the Ferret," and we really want a turn behind the wheel.

Watch more videos

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
7/25/16 10:27 a.m.

That thing is interesting. Looks like fun. I am so glad this thread is not about smelly rodents. The grappling hook is a little over the top, but works as an attention getter.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/25/16 10:28 a.m.

Know where you can drive that thing?

Anywhere you'd like.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/25/16 10:55 a.m.

The Brits started making something called the Ferret in 1952. Street legal in California!

LA traffic, Pssshhhhttt, watch this.

kb58
kb58 Dork
7/25/16 11:06 a.m.

I've seen one just like that driving around SoCal. I bet they get really really terrible mileage.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
7/25/16 12:12 p.m.

What caliber is the cannon?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/25/16 12:29 p.m.

I'm very surprised by two things:

1. that the grappling hook can support the weight of that vehicle in a winching situation
  2. that whatever tree branch they caught could support the weight of that vehicle

At least they drove it though an impressively deep river that my ford focus might not have been able to navigate.

Does look fun though.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
7/25/16 12:40 p.m.

Baja?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
7/25/16 12:48 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

I'm pretty sure that is a Ferret that they've customized. Hence them calling it a Ferret. ;)

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/25/16 1:32 p.m.

I honestly thought a Ferret had four wheels; are the two in the middle spares or are they rollers for logs and such?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/25/16 1:37 p.m.
914Driver wrote: I honestly thought a Ferret had four wheels; are the two in the middle spares or are they rollers for logs and such?

Both?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/25/16 2:54 p.m.

Top speed of 58mph... That one sounds... A bit faster

I mean

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/16 3:01 p.m.

It kinda sounds like a trophy truck wearing a Ferret as a hat.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/16 4:45 p.m.

I had a Ferret in college.

His name was George. Miss you buddy.

daeman
daeman HalfDork
7/25/16 5:31 p.m.

The rolls Royce engine in those ferrets sounds so sweet.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/25/16 7:52 p.m.

The Canadian military used Ferrets. There's a couple privately owned ones in this province.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
7/25/16 8:35 p.m.
chuckles wrote: What caliber is the cannon?

I didn't know grappling hooks were gauged in calibers.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
7/26/16 9:21 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
chuckles wrote: What caliber is the cannon?
I didn't know grappling hooks were gauged in calibers.

Sounds air-powered to me

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
7/26/16 11:24 a.m.

"The Canadian military used Ferrets. There's a couple privately owned ones in this province."

A friend has a couple of them. Had to remove or disable the gun to get it street legal. Even with the gun mounted, it would probably fit right into traffic in many large American cities.....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/16 11:27 a.m.

One of the guys in the Ottawa Valley Land Rover club owns one with the gun mounted. He got on the news when he drove it on Parliament Hill years ago. Fully legal and on an open public road, but you know how Mounties can get.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/armoured-car-invades-parliament-hill-1.186569

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
7/26/16 12:29 p.m.

Meh.
I didn't see it do anything my last CJ couldn't do, with the exception of firing a grappling hook out of a cannon. I suppose that hook can also deploy a tree-saver?
The spare tire use is a cool idea for certain situations, but not all.
I'll admit that CJ couldn't have done most of that stuff at the same speed, but our Odyssey can ford the same depth as the ferret

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
7/26/16 1:51 p.m.
914Driver wrote: The Brits started making something called the Ferret in 1952. Street legal in California! LA traffic, Pssshhhhttt, watch this.

There's one of these at the tank museum in Danville, VA. I'm taking the grandsons there Saturday. Interior of these is tiny. Drivers & crew of Ferrets must've been smaller than submariners.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/16 2:28 p.m.
dculberson wrote: In reply to 914Driver: I'm pretty sure that is a Ferret that they've customized. Hence them calling it a Ferret. ;)

Looks to me like a custom tube-framed vehicle with a faux gun on top, visually inspired by the Ferret.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pQGbQuodtAlqEWyouL1e2EcnzkukficZe9cefFfYvEqWqldNyvTmuZXr65SDpRQH