Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
8/23/17 3:14 p.m.
feature_image

We're headed to South Bass Island, Ohio, this weekend for the ninth annual Put-in-Bay Road Race Reunion. And yes, we're entering a car in this historic event. Publisher Tim Suddard is racing our project Triumph TR3 all weekend. Come find us in the paddock, and we'll give you a tour of the car. Plus we’ll be offering our latest subscription …

Read the rest of the story

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
8/23/17 4:15 p.m.

Is that this weekend? You're in my neck of the woods now. Crazy Place. Sure there is history and tradition there like the International Peace Memorial which commemerates the Victory of Oliver Hazard Perry over the British Navy in the War of 1812 as well as the ongoing peace since then between US, Canada and Britain. It's a National Park.

The modern history of the Island is that it is a Drunken Place!
Saturday afternoon through evening is complete chaos of drunken barchlorette parties and more.
The entire downtown district is bars. The locals do not allow their young children to be in the downtown area on the weekends. It tends to be an "Adult Environment" on the weekends.
A slogan that will serve you well at P-I-B is, "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning."

In other car stuff...
EVERY Sunday at 2:00pm there is a car parade that travels the entire island.
I would say that P-I-B has more Classic/Unique cars per capita than anywhere in the US. There are a few things behind this. One, the capita is low with only 138 annual residents in 2010 census. The other is that the popular tradition is to buy an old car to keep at your summer home on the island and then keep it there on the island to only drive on the weekends. The third is the fact that many just buy a car and keep it on the island. There is something like only 12 miles of paved road on the whole island. If you keep a car there all it's life it could last for eternity.
random video of parade
You'll be there on a weekend where classic cars come to the Island but on any given weekend most of the vehicles you see in these parades just stay on the island.

Speaking earlier of the hearty small group that stays year round, here is a neat winter video. Notice the old cars even in the modern days still being used as workhorses. At about the 2 minute mark there is great footage from probably the 50's of the locals Ice Racing Jalopies.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Aq6OdYzrIGA

HapDL
HapDL New Reader
8/23/17 4:30 p.m.

Some studly ice driving go on there in the video. The #13 was appropriately numbered, given where it ended up.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/17 7:55 p.m.

i'm going to be in PA.

We'll be back sunday if Tim wants to stop by and start writing the story of the barn find Devin Panhard for CM and how an ambitious grm'er is going to restore it on a budget normally reserved for challenge cars

GCrites80s
GCrites80s New Reader
8/23/17 8:26 p.m.

Now be ADULTS, people. This is the place where we "grownup" Ohioans go where we want to act like we're still in college.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/17 8:50 p.m.

It's actually kinda where people who can't leave their party days behind them go and i tend to stay away. My buddy went up "for the day" sunday and ended up on the 11am monday ferry back with a snapchat storyline full of bad ideas and drunken mistakes

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
8/23/17 10:17 p.m.

I lived in port clinton for a while and spent my weekends there. Didnt even know they had cars. I was 19 and mostly drunk. Underage consumption is as common as drunk middle aged women.

pizzaman1
pizzaman1 New Reader
8/24/17 6:39 a.m.

I been trying to get my car ready to run the event , but unfortunately things like work , wife , and then the other minor problem of running out of money got in the way , I guess I'll try for next year ,. You all have a great and safe time , by them my car is a 62 TVR with a 2 liter ford , it'll be a blast , can't wait to get it done

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/24/17 7:13 a.m.

Tim's race car is cool. We got to see it on display on One Lap. I got to look over the car and shake Tim's hand and silently wonder how Tim and the car are able to occupy the same space and have everything fit. Someone go watch him and report back.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/17 9:24 a.m.

PIB Schedule Looks like the racing is Tuesday.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/17 7:50 a.m.

My dad and I are going Monday.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
40OyRT4EE40Uj1UD18dfC5ez1wYGHEXM238ipbMZZ2Roe8GpzggD9wkNbg3ASFoT