fifty
fifty New Reader
4/20/09 8:51 p.m.

MEGASQUIRT 3 !

MS3 update (Apr 09)

Postby jsmcortina on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:39 pm There was a update session at the Megameet this weekend. The videos should be posted soon, but here's a summary.

MS3 is now a plugin card that installs on a Megasquirt mainboard (V3.57, V3.0, V2.2) It uses a faster CPU than MS2. Dual core. Has on board high speed SDCARD data logging Plugin swap for MS2 - no re wiring. Many more inputs and outputs. Expansion connectors. USB link for tuning.

Also announced was the MS3 Expansion board which fits inside the Megasquirt case. This has drivers for eight injectors, eight logic coil ouputs Six relay/valve outputs Analogue inputs Switch inputs Vr input

We installed an MS3 board on a car and it fired right up!

However, we still have lots to do before we are even ready for small scale beta testing.

Pictures to follow.

James

http://www.ms3efi.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28

RussellH
RussellH Reader
4/20/09 8:59 p.m.

Pretty cool. Always wanted to play with a MS but never could muster up the nerve to rip out a working EFI system and play with one of those. I did learn a lot about EFI reading the online material.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
4/20/09 9:13 p.m.

Finally jumping on the MS2 bandwagon and now this.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/09 2:28 a.m.

how much $$$ is that???

Raze
Raze Reader
4/21/09 6:42 a.m.

WOW, YAHOO! Finally a reason to upgrade our MS-I proc on our V3 board!!!!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/09 7:41 a.m.

i'm still waiting for the gm crank trigger support and cam timing stuff for the VVT vortec 4200. then i'll start playing with MS. i keep hearing "soon" from someone about it.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
4/21/09 9:18 a.m.

Which crank trigger scheme does that motor use? There's been some work with both MS1/e and MS2/e for fully variable VVT control. What system does GM use on/off or fully variable and on how many cams?

Winston
Winston New Reader
4/21/09 9:20 a.m.

Oooh, SMT components. Fancy!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/09 9:34 a.m.

Hopefully it'll be ready for production by the time I swap the engine in my AE92

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
4/21/09 10:41 a.m.
patgizz wrote: i'm still waiting for the gm crank trigger support and cam timing stuff for the VVT vortec 4200. then i'll start playing with MS. i keep hearing "soon" from someone about it.

Crank trigger support for the 7X wheel is in the newest MS2/Extra beta and seems to be pretty stable. VVT, not so much yet...

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
4/21/09 10:58 a.m.

Making some progress on open loop vvt and position logging, closed loop is a long way off though.

I just checked for info on the 4200 it uses only a variable exhaust cam. In the grand scheme of things there's very little 'power' to be made by playing with it (versus intake) it's mostly for emissions. On the VW's we go so far as to not even bother hooking it up.

jwc38
jwc38 New Reader
4/21/09 11:21 a.m.

oh this is not good, so tempting to do a huge MS project on the LS1.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
4/21/09 1:07 p.m.

USB...finally! It's needed sooo bad. I use my nearly-a-decade-old laptop to do MS tuning with because I don't need to use any adapters (that don't work) to USB.

Full COP support will be nice. Sounds like enough drivers becoming available to control a modern V8, maybe even with DOD and/or VVT with a bit more software work. Cool!

Bryce

njansenv
njansenv Reader
4/21/09 1:13 p.m.

Awe some.

I'll be getting one of these. I see more computing power available to run an S54....

YaNi
YaNi Reader
4/21/09 2:13 p.m.

It is just starting beta testing; it could be a while before it goes on the market.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
4/21/09 2:20 p.m.

Oh, I skipped over the data logging, that is another nice feature. Even if it's just starting beta testing, it's positive forward progress. As with any open source project, it only moves as fast as the volunteers.

Bryce

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
4/21/09 2:47 p.m.

For an S54 I think the only thing that's not currently possible is closed loop pwm controlled VVT... everything else is supported even with MS1/extra.

dan_efi
dan_efi New Reader
4/21/09 2:48 p.m.

Onboard SDcard datalogging makes me want

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/21/09 4:15 p.m.

Anyone notice that megasquirt and DIY autotune had a real nice write-up in the SCCA magazine this month? I'll bet the other standalones are pissed!

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
4/21/09 8:03 p.m.

Cool, the longer I procrastinate the better it gets!

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
4/21/09 11:04 p.m.

I tried that for a few years had a V1.1, 2.2 and several v3 boards before I got fed up and bought a 3.57 for myself and just put the darned thing in. They just kept getting stolen for other projects.. never mine!

YaNi
YaNi Reader
4/23/09 8:02 p.m.

The MS2 boards will be upgradeable to MS3 so there is no need to wait and get it all at once.

Per muythaibxr - the MS3 v1.0 should be available this summer, and MS3 v2.0 should follow 3-6 months after v1.0

splitime
splitime New Reader
6/11/09 2:57 p.m.

Hurm, so looks like this next build will be based on a MS2.

Variable cam timing is what I'm after in the long run though.... I wonder if I can hold off and just buy right into MS3.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WDCzcN2t9dcwNGgJEvfulIM8tGQnXrg9SZtPQTZJ5F3EqwC0gMtIgUVunxA8VHXy