1 2
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/8/18 3:17 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Can you send me a tooth log of the erratic tach signal to support@diyautotune.com with a copy of the tune file? This will give me a closer look at the signal.

Sure. Ill have to regresh my memory on doing a tooth log though. Hopefully be able to do so tomorrow night after work so you can take a look monday.

Im really hoping this is simple and easy.....

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 New Reader
11/8/18 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Something that I have found that is very important with Megasquirt is you need to separate the power grounds and signal grounds. You do not want them taking a common path to the battery. you definitely don't want to tie the power side of the msd to any of the signal wires on the MS. take all of the signal grounds, I think it is pins 15 to 19 on the DB37 connector and separate them from any other ground loop in the system, run that straight to the battery. If you are using a wide band with a heated sensor, the signal ground should go the the sensor grounds and the ground for the heater should go with the power, they should not be grounded to the same point.

If you get too frustrated, pm  me and I can give you the contact in for for the guy that got me over the hump and running in about an hour, well worth the fee for the education.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/11/18 1:12 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:
MadScientistMatt said:

Can you send me a tooth log of the erratic tach signal to support@diyautotune.com with a copy of the tune file? This will give me a closer look at the signal.

Sure. Ill have to regresh my memory on doing a tooth log though. Hopefully be able to do so tomorrow night after work so you can take a look monday.

Im really hoping this is simple and easy.....

So, i cant make it act up again. Nothing changed, but it wint get a crazy tach signal now.

Why?!?!?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/11/18 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

To berk with you. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/11/18 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

This car is really good at that already without random intermittent glitches.

I niw have 5 data logs if 10+ miles of no freaky tach signal .

Don't get me wrong, im happy! But fearful as well. I just k ow that as soon as i ztart to build faith in it, the problem will come back a hundred miles from home without my laptop and no tools to diagnose or fix......

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/11/18 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Did you feed it after midnight?

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/11/18 5:07 p.m.

Anything changed? Anything at all? Driven it more often recently in an attempt to get things working, which in turn perhaps made the batt/alternator happier, which in turn made the MSD box happier?

Just different routes with different applications of "part throttle"?

Changed the plugs or gaps? Not sure whether this could back-propagate through the MSD setup if it stopped a misfire...

Sounds like you've been over this thing so much I'm guessing things like drier weather ceasing to cause issues with tired ignition components is highly unlikely.

I hear you on the uneasiness that comes from anything "fixing itself."

Try leaving the headlights on for half an hour and then go drive it again?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/11/18 6:14 p.m.

Really, honestly, the only change from when it was acting up to now is outside temp/humidity, and tot having autotune running. Thats it.

All plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor, msd box, have maybe 6 hours runtime, and 3 months of age. Alt and battery may be happier from running more, but doubtful as it was on a tender while i was doing trans work.

I ran every electrical component at full blast trying to make it act up, and watched the voltages. No votage change beyond .1 volt no matter what, except at initial fan turn on. That was .3v, but only for aboit a second. The car didn't change behavior. 

I have not driven the road out to my fathers place and back yet, which is where it was misbehaving before. I wonder if that causes a different drive cycle point....

One night this week ill try that. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/18 1:07 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Do you drive past one of Toyman's automatic doors on that road?  ;-)

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/12/18 5:37 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Hmm....

First ti.e it happened was near the food lion.

Then a big intersection near the highschool 

Then a megachurch.

Then main street here in town.

There may be automatic doorst at those locations. I didn't see cops, but radar or laser may have been tagging me.

But thats pretty far out there.......

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ba2w9lmw3oDRr3KG8agTOIOmdnpPe7Rp52GcpMVniyZXAGYOJDneNOAxKzfTLeib