1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 ... 138
irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/4/19 6:42 p.m.

And, it's out...after a few load-leveling issues thanks to the 15-ton automatic trans on it, and forgetting to cut the fuel lines, and sawzalling off the exhaust since the bolts were totally rusted. Jim and I also managed to spill about 5 gallons of coolant+PS fluid+trans fluid+gasoline+blinker fluid all over my garage floor.

And of course no kitty litter, so I took out a chop saw and sawed up a short 4x4 and made a big pile of sawdust to use as a soak-up...

totally worthless exhaust, weighs a ton. Anyone need e34 cats?

Jim likes sawing stuff...

and on a dolly.

Once I get rid of this e34 shell i'll get to work on doing a good refresh of this engine. I don't plan to take off the head, but will do all the hoses, water pump, belts, pulleys, and seals.

Oh, and got this too. Nifty

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/4/19 9:42 p.m.

Scrap those cats, they're worth some dollars!

Nice job,

Adam

artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/5/19 8:16 a.m.
adam525i said:

Nice job,

Adam

Agreed. I was able to get $90 for a stock e30 cat. It's not huge, but definitely helps offset some of those maintenance items you're talking about. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/5/19 7:15 p.m.
artur1808 said:
adam525i said:

Nice job,

Adam

Agreed. I was able to get $90 for a stock e30 cat. It's not huge, but definitely helps offset some of those maintenance items you're talking about. 

yeah, I need to figure out where around here will take it and give me some cash. I also have an M42 cat sitting out back as well..

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/5/19 7:21 p.m.

Just ordering up and receiving parts to refresh this engine. While taking gunky stuff apart, I notice the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator to the IM. Hmm.....I'm thinking it wasn't giving any vacuum whatsoever, lol

Luckily I have about 10 feet of good vac hose to replace it with...

first order of parts came in...

also did some trunk work to secure gear for WMWR upcoming. This is my new method to secure the gearbox and tool roll in the OEM battery tray location. a cut-up ratchet strap attached to hooks I mounted on the body, and then a Titan Strap as the tensioner and quick-release...I think this will work pretty well.

And the other gear on the other side :)

artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/6/19 6:40 a.m.
irish44j said:

[...]

Impact gun AND a gun? Remind me not to get in your way at any stage rallies!  cheeky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/6/19 7:03 a.m.

In reply to artur1808 :

You've got to be especially careful since he's got friends at the Pentagon.  Can probably disappear you with a phone call.

In fact, a lot of the 2wd rally people seem like some sort of action movie waiting to happen- G-men, mysterious Turkish expats, NASA contractors, people with work they can't freely speak about, shady shop owners, minor celebrities...

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/6/19 8:56 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to artur1808 :

You've got to be especially careful since he's got friends at the Pentagon.  Can probably disappear you with a phone call.

In fact, a lot of the 2wd rally people seem like some sort of action movie waiting to happen- G-men, mysterious Turkish expats, NASA contractors, people with work they can't freely speak about, shady shop owners, minor celebrities...

Don't forget our two 944 rally drivers - one is literally a big-time medical surgeon, whose last name is "Pepper" (get it?) and the other one has a dozen piercings on his head and face :)

I feel downright normal compared to most of the RWD people.....

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/9/19 7:36 p.m.

ok, let's keep going now that there's something interesting to work on again...

First order of business: get rid of this e34 shell and get my garage back. A guy was initially going to buy it for body panels to fix his, but he bailed. After spending a week talking to him and him sounding really interested, he just stopped answering my messages altogether. I hate selling stuff to unreliable people who waste my time. Anyhow, spent the other day pulling additional parts off to sell, and some for Carlos from Condor Speed Shop (my sponsor), who races an e34 in Chumpcar.

Once that was done, made a few calls and found a place to take it to hopefully get a few bucks in scrap money. I threw the heavy ass transmission in the trunk, some other junk, old exhausts, etc from behind the shed, and other heavy metal stuff into it and loaded up.

Once again, I keep regretting not putting a winch on my trailer. I've never had the need for one so far, until now. So, bust out the come-along and some tie-down straps and slowly cranked the car onto the trailer.

I've never scrapped a car before so called to check the requirements. Really the only requirements for this place were "you take the tires home with you (they can remove)" and "big hole in the gas tank and anything else with fluids." So, had to drain the gas tank last night. The gauge was showing it as close to empty. NOPE. Drained like 9 gallons into 5-gallon buckets (my lawn mower will have fuel for a decade!). 

So off I went this morning early to the scrapyard, and doh....inspector sees my "large drill holes" and is like "no, they need to be BIG, like the size of my fist." Crap. So I turn around and haul 15 minutes home at 730am, grab my biggest hole saw, and put three BIG holes in it. And then towed it back. This time no problems. Got weighed in, drove to the back where a guy was racking and stacking cars in his big claw machine.

Backed it up, and he lifted it up a foot so I could take the wheels off. 

Aaaand....my impact would not budge the rusty lug bolts. Well that was dumb. Luckily, I had thrown the stock lug wrench into the trunk for scrap. Grabbed it and with most of my strength managed to break them all free, while I saw the guy in the machine chuckling a bit. Threw the wheels into the truck (selling them to an e36 rally guy) and watched the e34 go to die.

I also previously pulled the exhaust and cut out the middle section/cats, which I'll sell along with a spare M42 cat. Wanted to see how they matched up with the M42 exhaust and if they'd fit on the e30 with some modification. Maybe...with a chop of a few inches of the single-pipe section upstream of the cat. Hmm. 

So, car gone, garage back. Time to get the engine up on a stand. But first, did the rear main seal. 

Stuck the little flywheel from the auto trans back on, rotated it to stick the TDC pin in (checked at the front as well), and stuck it up on a stand. I dont' like this 3-leg stand for the big M50 really (fine for the M42), but Nick used it for his S52 and was fine, so....but Added a front brace to help stabilize it nonetheless. 

Not doing much tonight, but did pull the main crank bolt and related stuff. My big impact made quick work of it.

And most of the rest of my parts coming in, have almost everything I need at this point. 

Also finally got my e-code Hella H4 headlights for the Porsche to replace the sealed beams. So, installed those even though that car isn't going to see any night driving until the spring probably

yeah, these are the old lights. forgot to take a pic of the new ones. Whatever. Red Porsche.

Also doing final prep for the winter rally next weekend. not much to do, really. I think we're good to go for the most part. Weather looks questionable - coudl be rain, snow, ice, mud, or all of those. So, typical mess. 

95maxrider
95maxrider Reader
2/10/19 8:36 a.m.

So did you see the M50 run?  Compression numbers?  What are you doing for a trans, can you use your old one?  What about the diff?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/19 11:39 a.m.
irish44j said:Mike Cessna came over from Ohio for the event as well, to test out his new stage car, an e36. I'm not sure offhand how fast he is in the Ohio Valley region, where fast dudes like Evan and John England run, and it was of course a new-to-him car, but Mike was a good 6-7 seconds per run off of my pace, so at least I didn't get beat by the other stage car there lol.

Hi, 2018 MR champion in both Ohio regions here, how ya doing... smiley

Mike's fast when he's able to keep it together and not spin out and collect a dozen cones.  On the events where his car is able to finish.  (D'oh!)  I don't know if it was him or his co-driver that had to get a Stern Talking-To at our 2-day event last year at Ross County Fairgrounds, which is a pretty decent site that we get to play on now.

Comparison....  Mike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdttNVNvojM

Some dork in an RX-7 with a helmet cam:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVF8PgOC8ZI (note tach spinning past 10k when the trans flips out of gear.... goodbye 260-odd HP engine, you will be missed)

Event results (Not pictured:  Having to do my last few runs without daring to let the engine stall, because it did not have enough compression to be able to restart)

Me:  Won MR by 1.87 seconds.  (Ha, suck it England)  One cone all day.

Cessna:  Lost MR by 1.87 seconds.  Eight cones all day.

Fast when clean, but more fast than clean.  Heard that story before?  wink

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/10/19 7:53 p.m.
Knurled. said:
irish44j said:Mike Cessna came over from Ohio for the event as well, to test out his new stage car, an e36. I'm not sure offhand how fast he is in the Ohio Valley region, where fast dudes like Evan and John England run, and it was of course a new-to-him car, but Mike was a good 6-7 seconds per run off of my pace, so at least I didn't get beat by the other stage car there lol.

Hi, 2018 MR champion in both Ohio regions here, how ya doing... smiley

Mike's fast when he's able to keep it together and not spin out and collect a dozen cones.  On the events where his car is able to finish.  (D'oh!)  I don't know if it was him or his co-driver that had to get a Stern Talking-To at our 2-day event last year at Ross County Fairgrounds, which is a pretty decent site that we get to play on now.

Comparison....  Mike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdttNVNvojM

Some dork in an RX-7 with a helmet cam:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVF8PgOC8ZI (note tach spinning past 10k when the trans flips out of gear.... goodbye 260-odd HP engine, you will be missed)

Event results (Not pictured:  Having to do my last few runs without daring to let the engine stall, because it did not have enough compression to be able to restart)

Me:  Won MR by 1.87 seconds.  (Ha, suck it England)  One cone all day.

Cessna:  Lost MR by 1.87 seconds.  Eight cones all day.

Fast when clean, but more fast than clean.  Heard that story before?  wink

clearly i'm not paying much attention. I thought you were running strange Volvos in FWD these days lol. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/10/19 8:00 p.m.
95maxrider said:

So did you see the M50 run?  Compression numbers?  What are you doing for a trans, can you use your old one?  What about the diff?

I mean, I drove the car up on my trailer, and drove it down my street and back. Engine seemed to run fine. It's a 160k mile automatic 5-series owned by an older person, so probably has lived a pretty easy life. Thanks to the horrible weather, I didn't do a compression check, but all signs point to it being fine - I have no intent of doing the bottom end (or head) on this engine. If it goes boom, I just go find another one. M50s aren't really know for that being an issue with this kind of miles though.

G240 from my M42 is a direct bolt-up affair in terms of bellhousing. I need to get a 325i (e30 or e36) driveshaft and shorten my shift linkage, and that's it. I already have an M20 single-mass FW and clutch, which can transfer directly over. That's why I was willing to buy an automatic car for this engine, since I didn't need the transmisison anyhow..

Some say G240 is "weak" but that's mostly the S50/52 guys who like to do burnouts. rally isn't real hard on transmissions really. Plus, I have two fo them. The other upside to stayihng with an e30 transmission (G240/G260) is that I can keep using the same diffs (I have a 3.73 and 4.10, both LSD). If I did an e36 ZF transmisison, I'd have to get a new diff as well. 

Knurled.
2/11/19 5:50 a.m.

In reply to irish44j :

I finally got a rearend soluition put together for the car that probably won't break as often.  Or at least, that has easy to find replacement parts.

I'm not suggesting that YOU will have breakage problems, but adding power in a RWD does definitely require setup changes to the car that will take away nimbleness.  Everything you do to be able to put power down, and widen the bubble you ride on corner exit, will increase understeer.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/11/19 8:37 p.m.

Yeah, possibly the case. Though I've driven plenty of 6cyl e30s in rallycross and (aside from spinning Josh S's on the first run) done pretty respectably. I also have the (dis) advantage of having more weight in the back than most of them, with the cage, which could help balance out the car a bit. And I'm running the lighter G240 vs. the G260/ZF boxes that most of the e30s run locally. I'll probably up the front spring rate a bit, we'll see. I prefer to keep the same suspension for stage rally, so there's that to keep in mind too. I figure the first few events will be more testing and tuning than anything 

As to putting power down, M50 isn't a monster and the other 6er e30s seem to do fine with fairly similar power. Hell, Nick won this season with an S52, so......

Guess we'll see though. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/11/19 8:41 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to artur1808 :

, minor celebrities...

also, who are our minor celebrities?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/11/19 8:45 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

I was thinking of guys like Millen, Caswell, and Tommy from Nitro Circus. 

Knurled.
2/11/19 8:49 p.m.

I don't doubt that you would be able to exploit the newfound power despite the nose weight.  I haven't had chance to drive an E30 of any spec at rallycross, but I remember Evan's Miata has a pretty narrow bubble, and Orion's rear drive 2.5RS had an almost negative bubble, way too much power for the grip level, and any throttle at ALL in a corner would send it spinning.  Very frustrating having to keep the back end so tightly behind the front, could not throw it into a corner and expect to follow through.  Way different than, say, a stock 1.8 Miata, which mostly doesn't have enough power for you to have to worry about things like that.

Meanwhile, at the divisional where I urped the trans in my S60R, I witnessed someone in a turbo 240SX come sliding, almost drifting through a corner, and he was coming on and off the throttle HARD and the car's attitude wasn't even changing.  It was unfair! 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/13/19 9:17 p.m.

A few more quick things before we go rallying this weekend...

pulled the valve cover, coil packs, and plugs. The plug seals on the valve cover were pretty leaky so lots of oil down there, so had to do some cleaning up. The valve cover gasket MUST have been original, it was hard as a rock - no wonder it was leaky.

Also got in my replacement seals and o-rings to re-seal the VANOS. It wasn't in failure mode as far as I know, but might as well do this while I have it all open.

Then spent a few hours cleaning the engine, which is looking pretty decent now.

The oil pan was straight-up nasty. Did a lot of scrubbing and wire-brushing. Thank goodness for Dawn!

I also pulled the oil pump sprocket nut and cleaned the nut and threads, and then replaced it with a liberal amount of Loctite Red, and punched the thread ends for a bit of extra security. These are known to back off and cause a loss of oil pressure (mostly on track cars that see high RPMs a lot). Better safe than sorry.

Things on the bottom end going back together, a lot cleaner now.

And our friends at Condor Speed Shop sent me some fresh UHMV M50 swap mounts (the right height for the e30), as well as fresh G240 transmission mounts and new bushings for the shift carrier at both ends, to tighten things up. Though the solid mounts were a bit too much vibration for me with the M42 due to it being a rough 4-cylinder, they should be substantially smoother with the six-cylinder and its natural balance.

A few last-second prep things for WMWR - rain-x all the windows, and added a lower front banner/sun shade, since WMWR runs late into the afternoon and evening and there is a lot of sun-in-the-eyes action

Also did the side windows as I've done before, which is great when the sun is coming from the side (duh)

Then found out all the lighting testing, etc. I've been doing drained my Yellow Top. Deep cycle batteries are nice, but a pain to charge. It was all the way down to 7 volts and my Die Hard charger wouldn't charge it (thinking it was no good). So I did the old trick of wiring in parallel with a good battery to get the charger going, and after a few hours back at full power. 

So, pack-up time tomorrow!

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/18/19 6:52 p.m.

(simon van der wal pic)

Last rally with the M42 (slightly sad)

Since Chris already did his write-up of WMWR'19, here's mine (re-using some of the pics that he borrowed from me for his thread). WMWR is one of our closest and favorite events. It's not a full stage rally, but instead the first 2 stages of STPR run 3 times each (i.e. same stage in both directions). But if you've followed along with me, you know that I prefer the more technical stuff (rallycrosser.....) to the high-speed stages at STPR, and they are better suited to our low-power, balanced e30 as well. Last year we won 2WD at WMWR by choosing the right tires – while others chose poorly. This year we'd have no such luck, as everyone showed up with snow/ice tires – so with a level playing field, it was sure to be closer.

We rolled up to Wellsboro and unloaded, and headed out in the Sequoia to do recce, along with a few other teams in their own tow rigs...

Then off to tech. Though I keep the car in pretty good shape, tech always makes me a bit nervous. But we flew through with no issues – so that's 10 techs successfully passed :)

I forgot to upload a pic of our car at tech, but it looks like...the same car you've been reading about for 9 years now. So here's a pic of the Merkur getting tech'd instead

Chris and I managed to show up to tech wearing the exact same thing, which foreshadowed what happened later...

That night, headed out to the local bar to hang with some of our local friends – oddly enough none of the 3-4 local rally drivers were entered, for one reason or another, which kind of sucked. 

Next morning off to parc expose we went.

(lori Lass photo)

There was a chainsaw ice-sculpture competition going on across the green

And then off we went to start the rally. While we've done this rally 3 times before, there were some changes this year. First, a new half-mile section was added at one end running through the Waste Management quarry area (also used for STPR this year), which was pretty cool and made for some great photos and vids. Here's Sean Burke's video footage (us at about 0:50) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Xqwt8QX2E&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0tHLpHgitNrmj0V3LdNsvpE_qlWUxEWfyFDOqodm0vAlKOCj8BBrdZkj0

The other change was at the jump. At STPR it's a wide-open, big-air jump. SCCA rallysprint rules discourage “getting air,” so every year they try something to slow the cars down. This year, they made a double-pin-turn at the jump where you entered on one side, drove past the jump, pin-turned and drove up and over the jump (fairly slowly) then another pin turn, down along the side, and going down the straight. 

Here's us on one of the entries:

And making the pin turn, a bit sloppily with not enough slip

Not much air to be had

(both Mike Seitz photos)

I know the guys who like the air (like Chris) didn't really like this setup, in spite of the fact that many of them have hydro-brakes to assist in the turns (we don't). Since we generally don't go very big on jumps anyhow, and like tight stuff, I kind of enjoyed it – though it would have been nice to have some additional turning space and grip in there. In any case, it let spectators at the jump area get to watch a bit more action from each car than just a jump.

We continued on, without much drama. Had a few quick minor offs that required backing up, and a few close calls (sliding across a big ice sheet in a corner and almost hitting Matt Chmielewski's WRX that had already skidded off there and hit a tree), but overall the car felt pretty good and we were on pace with the notes. Between stages comparing notes with Nonack and Alan Edwards, it was pretty clear we were all running close times to each other (with only the Subarus running a bit faster). 

We finished 3 stages and headed for service, which consisted of eating lunch and our crew checking stuff, since nothing needed repairing.

Nonack had about 45 people on his service crew, looking desperately for something to fix (which is typical for him, except this time nothing was broken...)

And out we went for 3 more stages. Now the rally had started with snow/slush/frozen mud surface, and during the day any area in the sun melted and became giant lakes of water (with shady areas remaining frozen). As we progressed to the last couple stages all that wetness was re-freezing and getting very slippery again

By the last stage, it seemed like we had a slight margin and with everything refreezing, drove a bit more carefully to avoid trees, rocks, and/or flatting our Altimax Arctics on some of the jagged rocks that had been kicked up during the thaw. Still put up a pretty good time, but I'll admit that I almost coasted through the last few turns which were getting icy, thinking of BRS where we almost went off right before a stage finish. Would be a lousy time to go off.

So, we transited to the final check-in, took a few pics with our excellent crew

Then off to the fairgrounds, where we parked next to Nonacks....

Some other casualties were there...Ozgur's e30 (you may recall I gave him the shell) had some transmission issues and debeaded a tire and retired after 4 stages.

Matt managed to get unstuck and continue on for a few more stages before his WRX retired

So in we went for the post-event dinner and awards/hangout time. And after a while, provisional scores were posted. WTF?

yep, you read that right. We tied with the Nonacks for 2nd overall (I think we actually “beat” them based on a stages-won tiebreak or something). AND we tied them on time on the 5th stage. What are the chances? Since they are in the “over 2.5L class” and we are in the “under” we both won our classes. But still, pretty crazy that after 83 minutes of stage time we tied. It was cool, but also annoying since I know I let off for those last few turns that could have saved us a few seconds. Oh well...

Loaded up the next morning to head home, with some dirty vehicles..

Overall, pretty pleased with my driving and Jim's notes, and the car's performance in general. Not a huge entry field, but we did well against drivers who have historically been faster than me (Chris, Alan, among others) so I'm personally happy we were able to win on equal-tires this year.  Looking forward to next year's WMWR again!

(Lori Lass photo)

Here's some in-car vid from one of the stages to give you an idea of the conditions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bxjTx4vWP0&t=587s

Some other spectator video: (us at about 2:55 and a few other times) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u6eTVBCJWc&t=8s

And will post more interesting photos/vids as they become available. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/18/19 6:55 p.m.

Image may contain: 3 people, including Josh Hickey, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/18/19 7:17 p.m.

oh also, after unloading and unpacking, got back to the M50...

rebuilt the PS pump, and put most of the accessories on..

I have until the end of March to get the M42 out, do some upgrades to the engine bay area, and get this drivetrain in..

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
2/18/19 7:29 p.m.

I heard the report about Ozgur over the radio.  Despite it being bad news, the radio exchange made me chuckle since SAC was on the receiving end.

Also, I forgot to ask Jim to sign my chest.  I still want autographs- lol!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/19/19 7:25 a.m.

You don't have to be jealous of the hydraulic rally lever, they're like $40 on amazon- even if you replace the master cylinder with a real Wilwood one, you're only $100ish from full WRC legitness!

It's amusing how finishing a rally with no failures is a huge deal for us, but for you it's "yep, did another event, went fast, nothing broke, business as usual"

Also, the Straight Outta Wellsboro photo is the best thing ever.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
2/19/19 6:24 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

You don't have to be jealous of the hydraulic rally lever, they're like $40 on amazon- even if you replace the master cylinder with a real Wilwood one, you're only $100ish from full WRC legitness!

It's amusing how finishing a rally with no failures is a huge deal for us, but for you it's "yep, did another event, went fast, nothing broke, business as usual"

Also, the Straight Outta Wellsboro photo is the best thing ever.

well, it's not business as usual after all our breakage at NEFR lol. Good to get back to finishing. We had an 8-event streak going before NEFR, gotta get that going again.

Also, I am pretty sure I have more mechanical sympathy for my car than you do. Just look at any pics of us on the same jump!

1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 ... 138

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h49zZlnrqVMlgeXwL1UaBqASyeBHxRulrDsVGRfZtBwmxGszXtt94Q49lft7N8HP